Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s an Interarms stainless TPH in .22, asking $500. Price seems good. A west German blued in .25 would be much more desirable, but I know those are more rare and fetch a higher price. I guess what I’m asking is, are they a good gun to own? I’ve heard they can be a bit finicky and spare parts and repairs can be difficult. I’m well aware of m&m gunsmithing and his magic. Used his services to fix my Interarms PPK last year and was quite happy. Just curious if the TPH is more of a headache than it’s worth?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a reliable EDC. However it's a rock solid little pistol and fun to shoot. Mine works pretty well but not with bulk ammo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found a real nice, unfired, blue IA, TPH in 2018. Here is my “range” test:

....”Range report
Tried out the TPH at the range today.
I have a blued magazine marked Walther and two stainless steel magazines marked Walther.
All three functioned flawlessly. I tried Federal bulk "target grade" ammo, CCI MiniMags, and CCI Stinger ammo. All of it functioned flawlessly.
Did not check for a group but I was hitting a paper coffee cup at 10 feet every time. I thing this thing is good to go.
I am real excited about this TPH. Really appreciate all the info I got off of this forum since I did not know much about them until recently.“.....

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input. I suppose I’m more on the fence over the configuration, than the gun itself. .25 is my favorite cal and think blued guns look much nicer than stainless. That being said, think the stainless TPH would be a pretty sweet shooter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. I suppose I’m more on the fence over the configuration, than the gun itself. .25 is my favorite cal and think blued guns look much nicer than stainless. That being said, think the stainless TPH would be a pretty sweet shooter
It's kinda funny that the 22lr TPH pistols (which are more plentiful) magazines are $$$ where as the .25 acp pistols are big bucks and the mags are cheap. I'd love to find a nice .25 too, great little cartridge.
IMG_1675.JPG

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I was lucky enough to happen upon a Ranger TPH in .25 that had been languishing on a pawn shop shelf. It's been 100% reliable one of my favorite carry guns and at less than $500 one of the better deals I've made. A .22 is on my list.

·
Registered
964 Posts
88 , I have l have a TPH stainless .22 that resides in my right front pocket everyday . It runs best on CCI Stingers or mini mags . The only malfunctions I have ever experienced with mine was bulk ammo several squib rounds in Rem golds ,and something I don't recall , that didn't eject ,, on further inspection of the casing the wall of the cartridge split ,and in so doing became stuck . Not the fault of the pistole but the ammo . The biggest problem you are liable to have is extra mags ,if you can find them , they are about c note each . I found the full set original box indexed to pistole , both mags , test target , Manual and cleaning rod and brush . It shoots very well and even with the teeny sights is quite accurate . The stainless in. 25 is at the top of my Grail list . Ayb
a

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
It is a neat little gun; the only way to see how it runs is to run it. Concur with MPGus; wouldn't trust it for anything serious, if for nothing more than the lack of reliability of the .22 round itself. And there are .380s the same size.
As regards running, had 3 when they were new, and none would run 20 straight; the dealer kept trying. Since then, I've had a beater I flipped, and a minty one. Both ran 100%. Go figure.
Moon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks to be in pretty nice shape. It always surprised me how slim they are. Have fun with it and good shooting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a question regarding the safety. So there seems to be 2 half cocks. The first half cock I can engage the safety, but at the second half cock positioned (the position the hammer falls to when when you engage the decock) the safety will not engage. Is this normal? Everything else seems to function fine.
Here she is all cleaned up, next to my PPK

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
'88, you need to make yourself a little more clear, or maybe it's me...applying the safety at full cock should decock the pistol. That should be the extent of its use.
Is this what your gun does?
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'88, you need to make yourself a little more clear, or maybe it's me...applying the safety at full cock should decock the pistol. That should be the extent of its use.
Is this what your gun does?
Moon
yes, my decock does work. The issue is, there are 2 noticeable clicks when u bring the hammer back. at each click, the hammer will lock in that position (a half cock position) at the first half cock, I can engage the safety, but at the second half cock the safety will not engage. Upon further inspection I found the “release lever” in the frame is on a spring and you can push the release lever down at the first half cock. At the second half cock, the release lever locks in place and can’t be pushed down. This “release lever“ interfaces with the safety drum to drop the hammer. the safety drum cannot rotate when the release lever is locked in place. I’m pretty sure this is by design. parts diagram on Numrich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts