Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Production of the Fort Smith PPK and PPK/S officially began in October and the pistols will be shipped out to dealers in December.

I also emailed Walther and they confirmed that the guns will be available in early 2019.

Watch these:

Who else is excited that the PPK and PPK/S are back?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
With all the advertisements going around, it would certainly seem as though Walther Arms has at long last received the go ahead from the German Government to actually sell these things, otherwise I doubt they'd be trying so hard to build hype.

Still, after so many years of broken promises from Walther Arms regarding the impending release of the new production PPK(/S), I cannot help but feel skeptical and find myself incapable of getting excited.
Hopefully this time they'll finally make good on their word, the new PPK(/S) will indeed be within the display cases of gunshops across the US next month, and most importantly of all, they will be of outstanding quality/reliability. Because seeing as these firearms have been delayed for so long, Walther Arms has no excuse for any issues they may have when the design is nearly a century old and they've had nothing but time to fine tune them while they waited on approval from the German Government for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
God willing, this time. Cross fingers!

·
Super Moderator
7,434 Posts
Steve, have to concur, tho' a .380 will get me occasionally.
If they were really hellbent to have the 'beak', a little less pronounced one would have been a better answer, and looked better.

Moon

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll be surprised to see them, but if they arrive don't be surprised to be bitterly disappointed. I love Walthers and own 6 PP series pistols but if I were to buy a new pistol of this type today it would be a Bersa.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I want to love it, but the beak at the rear of the frame ruins it for me. If you don't know how to properly hold your PPK, you deserve to get bit. Aficionados don't need a surfboard sticking out of the back of their Walthers to remind them.

-Pilotsteve
I've never owned a PPK. My gateway drug into the world of Walthers was the PPQ. It's long overdue that I buy one at some point.

What is this secret way of gripping the PPK you speak of? I am assuming it's about gripping the gun low rather than trying to use the technique of gripping the gun as high as possible with the shooting hand. Is there more to it than that?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I'll be surprised to see them, but if they arrive don't be surprised to be bitterly disappointed. I love Walthers and own 6 PP series pistols but if I were to buy a new pistol of this type today it would be a Bersa.
Hello Mike. Interesting comment on a PPK forum. Why do you feel the Bersa is the better choice?

Once again, I am not new to handgunning but am a neophyte in the Walther PP world.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hello Mike. I thought your comment interesting on a PP/PPK forum.

Why do you feel the Bersa is a better choice than a PPK?

Once again, I am hardly new to handgunning but am an admitted neophyte in the world of PPKs.

My forays into the world of .380s consisted of a Sip P230, a couple of Sig P232s and a Colt Mustang back in the day. Seems like I should own a PPK before I'm through so I'm trying to get educated in the topic.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had a stainless Smith & Walther made post recall. I did not mind the "Beak" and the gun was flawless in it's function. I rue the decision to sell it.
I would give one of the new PPK/S a chance if there is a way to convert it to 7.65 caliber.
Wonder how feasible it might be?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
a way to convert it to 7.65 caliber.
Wonder how feasible it might be?

You'd probably have better luck ordering a new Chevy truck, but requesting that it come with a Ford EcoBoost engine instead. ;)

I'll own a PPK someday...but it's gonna have to be a ZM gun, and in .32...

To me, the .380 is like a new Camaro. All flash and show and noise, and no power. :D

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
You'd probably have better luck ordering a new Chevy truck, but requesting that it come with a Ford EcoBoost engine instead. ;)

I'll own a PPK someday...but it's gonna have to be a ZM gun, and in .32...

To me, the .380 is like a new Camaro. All flash and show and noise, and no power. :D
With all due respect Thunderbird, how is the .32 more powerful? I'd guess it's more pleasant to shoot? Maybe more reliable as they gun was designed for that round???

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a S&W 'blue' PPK, which has been very reliable. But I really dislike the "extended beavertail" or "beak." I would trade the Smith immediately for this if it had the original look. As it is, I'm probably going to sit it out. Glad that they're going to be sold again, but am fairly perplexed as to why they kept the beak with all the chat about "returning to original" etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jimmo, the Bersa Thunder 380 has some advantages over the Walther 380.
1) It has a firing pin safety, which makes it safe to carry with the manual safety off.
2) It was designed with the 380 in mind. The PPK was designed for the 32, with the 380 being "shoe horned" in.
3) It is radically less expensive than the PPK.

4) It has a larger grip which makes it more comfortable to shoot.
5) It is currently in production. ;) Perhaps the PPK will start shipping soon - perhaps not.
BTW: I carry a revolver.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts