Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanted to get some advice from the experts. Just purchased a brand new PPK and I’m having some issues. First is that I get a failure to go into battery sometimes. I end up having to push the slide forward for it to chamber. Second I noticed the slide lock lever was coming up during firing and locking the slide back. I bent the spring out and that seems to have fixed it. But still concerned about the failure to go into battery.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I have emailed Walther about my issues but have not received a response.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try different ammo, clean it every 100 rounds put 1000 rounds through it to break it in. I'm not joking. Mine took 500+ rounds before it had anything even remotely resembling reliability. At around the 2k round mark, it's working smoothly with most ammo but at the very beginning the only ammo it would shoot was Winchester 95Gr Flatnose FMJ "service ammunition" and, oddly enough, LAX 95Gr flatnose. Some ammo wouldn't chamber at all (e.g. Sig round nose), and nearly everything had that not in battery issue you describe. In the beginning, it happened to me 2-3 times per mag with GECO 95Gr round nose. That still happens when the gun gets dirty, but isn't an issue when clean with most flat nose ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. I will definitely try some different ammo. Was using blazer brass and just picked up 500rds of freedom munition flatnose. Will definitely shoot more and clean it to break it in and see how it works out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey guys, wanted to get some advice from the experts. Just purchased a brand new PPK and I’m having some issues. First is that I get a failure to go into battery sometimes. I end up having to push the slide forward for it to chamber. Second I noticed the slide lock lever was coming up during firing and locking the slide back. I bent the spring out and that seems to have fixed it. But still concerned about the failure to go into battery.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I have emailed Walther about my issues but have not received a response.
I had a couple of those early on. For me, a thorough scrub of the feed ramp did the trick, and I had thought it was clean before. I’ve been through the rounds with a couple other not-polymer arms before; and IMO with tight tolerances comes the need for a traditional breakin period with controlled wear and cleaning and lubrication. (vs., say, my Glock that’s never done anything remotely unexpected)

BB had a much more challenging time; mine now devours everything I can find so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I’ve shot a total of 600rds and I’m still getting these failure to fully go into battery. I’m thinking maybe the loaded chamber indicator rod is preventing it from chambering. Honestly have no idea I’m just throwing ideas out there. I did take out the rod and will shoot it and see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Several reasons possible. But it's a new gun and you've got warrenty. Send it to Walther arms.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Consider that the extractor could be "tight" just enough to occasionally cause the slide to not go to battery. The extractor has some resistance and does not always pivot easily enough.

If you can disassemble the slide, check the contact surfaces of the extractor at any pivoting or contact point.
Do not buff especially stainless because buffing could remove surface hardening and introduce galling.
If just occasionally then I would not send it to Walther because they could get carried away with buffing or other actions that are not the real cause.

If the ejector is not quite right, consider buying a new one from Walther customer service to have on hand and try it out?
If that fixed it then contact Walther to have them send a warranty replacement, you may need to send in the bad part.
I would just buy an extra and keep the bad one for reference.
Just some thoughts for consideration.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had this issue with my 1911 once and it turned out that it was the extractor, as XRing stated. Different pistol platform, granted, but same issue nonetheless. I was able to bend mine and put it back in to perfect function. You would be wise to do as Ring stated, verbatim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely not the loaded chamber indicator. Will try the extractor. Thanks for all the help. Took a picture of the extractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you solve the hold-open problem?

I’m having ~5-10% hold-open failures and ~1% failures to go fully into battery after ~450 rounds. I have not modded anything.

Considering a 30Day return - really don’t want to as I otherwise love this gun, but I’m just burning too much money in ammo and range fees (w/ my gun club CV-19 closed) just to test reliability.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sbenson619,
Apparently no noticable edges or high spots from manufacturing process.
I would clean and lube with breakfree clp. Then reassemble slide.
Use breakfree clp keep lubed wet and shoot some more ammo.

I like breakfree because it does not gun up and if running wet it also makes it easy to clean by flushing not require disassembly.
Other lightweight oil would be ok too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reppans,

I got a replacement part from Walther within a week. Solved the issue.

Xring, so I tested it out today after doing a light polish in the extractor. 50rds no feeding problems. But I did have some chamber issues when feeding the first round on an empty chamber. Not sure if I was riding the slide home or not but it happened multiple times. But once chambered it did no have any failure to go into battery. What do you think??

will continue to test.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Must be slowing slide down enough to halt movement short of chambering the round. Magazine ok?? Feed lips good?? All things I would check. Also see if magazine seated all the way before moving that slide. I’d say you are well beyond the break in period, and that break free clp is a name I’ve heard of and seen used before. Might get some unseen offender broken free.... see what I did there...???

·
Registered
828 Posts
reppans,

I got a replacement part from Walther within a week. Solved the issue.

Xring, so I tested it out today after doing a light polish in the extractor. 50rds no feeding problems. But I did have some chamber issues when feeding the first round on an empty chamber. Not sure if I was riding the slide home or not but it happened multiple times. But once chambered it did no have any failure to go into battery. What do you think??

will continue to test.
The old extractor trick, especially with stainless.. Actually slight resistance just enough to intermittently cause failure to go to battery. The replacement extractor seems the be better.
Light weight oil use should help too.

My usual method especially with relatively new pistol is to lock the slide back open , then insert a full magazine make sure it is seated then pull the slide all the way back and let it go. Should feed first round. Then shoot and see how well the pistol feed etc.
After a while , not really a purposely made break-in period but rather more step by step process to confirm function.
If every thing is ok then just use as usual.
As this is a as pistol, keep the rails lubed , but do not polish do as not to affect the factory surface hardness .
This is to reduce chance of galling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!
So after reading Xring and Bornfightings responses, I realized in my newbie mind, I replaced the OEM spring with Wolff 5% extra power springs when I first got the pistol. Also switched all my other magazines too.

so I decided to reinstall the old OEM magazine springs and now..... everything seems to be chambering just fine!!!! I haven’t had a chance to shoot it with these springs in and the extractor oiled but I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Update!
So after reading Xring and Bornfightings responses, I realized in my newbie mind, I replaced the OEM spring with Wolff 5% extra power springs when I first got the pistol. Also switched all my other magazines too.

so I decided to reinstall the old OEM magazine springs and now..... everything seems to be chambering just fine!!!! I haven’t had a chance to shoot it with these springs in and the extractor oiled but I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.
Good! All is well that ends well.

I'm curious why you replaced those springs with aftermarket springs in the first place??

Not criticizing, more curious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m used to Glocks where you can start messing around with things as soon as you get it. Realizing that this pistol is a different breed.
Hoping this solves the issue.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Update!

If you had aftermarket parts in the pistol that needed to be disclosed in the original post. First advice would have been to reinstall the factory parts. As the slide moves forward the breech rail begins to press the top round forward in the magazine. As the round moves forward the nose should be heading for the feed ramp....not below it, not high above it. At a certain point the rear of the round is released from being held down by the mag lips. At this point the nose of the round is heading up the feed ramp toward the chamber. The rear of the round now has to slide up the breech face at an angle, slide under the extractor, press the indicator pin nose up, and align with the chamber as the slide fully seats the round in the chamber. Any part along the line could possibly cause problems including an out of spec round. The trick is to determine exactly where the binding is occurring because that is what is stopping the slide....e.g., tight extractor not allowing the rim to slide up under it. You can always remove the extractor and see if that makes the round feed smoother. Dirty chamber, check by dropping a round into it, the plunk test. Check the edges of the breech face to make sure dirt isn't keeping the rim from moving into the position it needs to be on the face. Glad you got it working. 1917

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have acquired a Ft Smith PPK and a PPKS within six months of each other and have exactly the same issues as the rest of you in this post. Slide locks open on about the 3rd round of every other mag. I finally sent the PPKS back to Walther as the trigger spring was broken out of the box on the PPKS. Worked in single action but not double action.
I’ve had numerous conversations about the ammunition feeding problem with Walther CS and they said that the PPK and PPKS are very finneky guns and I’m not alone in this problem. Each gun has at least 300+ rounds thru them spanning 12 different brands of FMJ and JHP. There has been no real winner but Hornady critical defense and Remington and Ficcohi FMJ seem to be slightly ahead in reliability. Walther CS agree that is what works best for them too .i am told that American Gunner seems to work as well but I have not tried it yet.

Guess I will run another 200 rounds thru each to see where I am them. Two things for sure- this is getting very expensive and neither are anywere Concealed carry ready yet. Hopefully they will be soon or they may be on the trade block.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts