Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
Ppk
486 Posts
I used to carry a Ranger /s on duty when I was a cop. I carried Win Silver Tips because it was agency standard in the 1911 and it got grandfathered in for .380s as well.

Nowadays, I'm not burdened with someone else making my carry options. I don't know if Win. Silver Tips are still made. What I carry now is FMJs. I don't think a .380 has enough umph to open up a HP but if it did, it would limit penetration and I want penetration.

· Premium Member
3,747 Posts
So the fort smith is known for not being able to feed hallow points ?
I don't own a Ft.Smith PPK and haven't followed the reviews of those that do to know what is reliable in them.

What I mean is that I trust positive reviews from fellow forum members more than most YouTubers. I suspect that many of them are paid advertising just like print gun magazines. Negative reviews mean lost ad revenue.

· Registered
Ppk
486 Posts
So the fort smith is known for not being able to feed hallow points ?
I don't think the Ft Smith has a problem with hollow points. I just don't see any advantage to using them. Same with a .32 acp...hardball all the way for me. Penetration...plus they're cheaper. I might be wrong on them expanding and it's possible that they flatten out and penetrate sufficiently well. The only downside to using them is they're more expensive than hardball. And slightly less mass.

· Registered
370 Posts
Nice is that craft holsters shoulder rig ?
No, that's a Miami Jackass Rig.
But now it's reversed out, wears so much better.
NOTE: Is you shoulder rig bunching up because of the suede inside? Turn the sued side out and the smooth side in and now it will never bunch or bind and will flow nicely when you move your arms. Obviously, this will require swapping the holsters to each other's opposite side.

· Administrator
3,853 Posts
I don't think the Ft Smith has a problem with hollow points. I just don't see any advantage to using them. Same with a .32 acp...hardball all the way for me. Penetration...plus they're cheaper. I might be wrong on them expanding and it's possible that they flatten out and penetrate sufficiently well. The only downside to using them is they're more expensive than hardball. And slightly less mass.
There are supposedly some .380 loads now that will meet the FBIs criteria for penetration while also expanding.

I know this historically has not been the case.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve heard about this, so if I carry FMJ it won’t go through someone? (.380)

so basically there’s no point of carrying hallow points in .380?

· Registered
Ppk
486 Posts
Going thru someone isn't an issue in self defense. Although I doubt there would be overpenetration with a .380.
The FBI index says 12" is the reliable depth of penetration. Jimmo above says there are .380s that penetrate and expand. I haven't looked into this since I've got a lot of hardball.

Lucky Gunner (I think that's his name) has done a lot of research into smaller bullets and their performance. Check out his website

Lucky Gunner says Unsurprisingly, that the .380 tests show that most of his testing finds that rounds that penetrates well don't expand that much and the ones that expand don't have good penetration. He says that the .380 is marginal in performance but can work. They definitely are not .357s or even .38 Specials. But modern .380s are getting pretty good press lately. I would carry one, and do. Not all the time. Whenever I cross the RR tracks to the bad side of town, I feel better armed with a 9mm.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I guess I find myself carrying the PPK/s more often when I drive to work and back, I guess this is why it’s currently my EDC because it’s eaiser. But when I’m not going to work, I make it a point to carry my Sig Sauer p229. But maybe I should just make my sig my EDC..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts