Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I just thought I would share my thoughts for anyone that cares...
I bought a First Edition PPS and I love it. It is a great size and a great shooter! I bought the PPS because it was a good carry size and that Walther quality is built right in. The First Edition (FE) was what I bought because I want stuff right now! I don't like to wait if I have the $$ and I plan to buy anyway. I know the FE was a bit more than the regular black ones, but hey- I have it right now and get to shoot it when I want to and that is worth it to me...

A few things to consider if you are on the fence about getting an FE (if you can find one) or waiting for a black one.
1. The FE aluminum case is nice and gets attention at the range, but if you carry the weapon, the gun will not see that case a whole lot anyway.
2. The FE comes with a target fired by someone at Walther. Well you can go shoot a perep target and sign it and put it in your black plastic case if having a shot up target makes you feel better...
3. The FE comes with 3 magazines. I actually perfer the feel of the 6 and 7 round mags more than the 8 round anyway. The 8 round is almost too big to carry with so really that one will stay in the case most of the time.
4. The Gray anthracite finsih is a black poly frame with silver paint on it! Yes this may start an upheaval, but you can scratch it off, and yes it will wear off in 10 years of carry. Look at the edges when you field strip it and you can see. The paint is either applied by a strange brush or by some kind of computer paint application. It is NOT molded all the way through the polymer. Basically it does look cool, but it will wear and your gun will eventually be partly black anyway.
5. The serial # is low and you know you have a limited run gun. this is good if you are a collector, but it may not fetch that much more as a trade-in, and it may look more worn-out compared to an all black one in 10 years due to the worn off anthracite paint finish on the polymer.

So with this said- am I glad I got a first edition? Yes I am because as I said before- I am enjoying my gun while everyone else is wishing they were!
Most of the FE features are not really selling points to me other that the fact I can say I have a limited edition gun. Everything else could have been had with the purchase of an all black model.
So now you know the scoop. Weather this helps one of you who is sitting on the fence- I won't know. But at least I tried!
Bob

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the informative post. What a revelation about the FE Anthracite finish! Who "woulda thunk it"?

I have just been waiting patiently for the black version to hit the market and I have been carefully avoiding reading others post with titles like "S&W says the standard PPS has already begun shipping" or "Got an email from Walther USA that says the standard model is ready to go" etc.

Really the company guys don't know shit. I don't think they are trying to be deceptive, it's more like they would rather have encouraging news for the customers.

I haven't called or emailed S&W or Walther USA and I don't plan to. I stopped calling my 2 dealers a month ago, too. If it takes a few more months to get one, that's just the way it's going to be. Both dealers quoted me prices of $500.00 and at that price it's worth waiting for to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bob, Thanks very much for the info ref the anthracite finish, interesting.

I feel much the same as you do regarding the First Edition, nice to have sooner rather than later. I liked getting the three different size mags because it enabled me to determine right away which size works best for me, which in my case was the middle size 7 round mag.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Walther PPS:

Thanks for the insight.

I had my money all set for a PPS but I simply could never warm up to the First Edition version.

My natural aversion to buying any new product until all of the bugs have been located and corrected is another reason.

I ordered another Seecamp LWS32 earlier today with my PPS money, (blasphemy) so I'm gonna be outta gun funds until after the New Year, and I think that's probably a good thing.

I do want a PPS. But, I want a black PPS.. I keep praying for an "AS" model, but realistically I know that's not going to happen.

So, your input has simply given me additional reasons to think I made the right decision. I think after the black PPS versions hit the shelves in numbers the price will level off, and availability will increase.

I'll just wait until my accumulated funds and the price and availability of the black PPS merge...

Then I'll get one..:D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
203 Posts
i wanted to get the FE like you i had the money ready, but no one had one to sell me. at this point, i don't have any choice but to wait for black in order to make the comparison live.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All,
4. The Gray anthracite finsih is a black poly frame with silver paint on it! Yes this may start an upheaval, but you can scratch it off, and yes it will wear off in 10 years of carry. Look at the edges when you field strip it and you can see. The paint is either applied by a strange brush or by some kind of computer paint application. It is NOT molded all the way through the polymer. Basically it does look cool, but it will wear and your gun will eventually be partly black anyway.
Have you removed the finish from your pistol in any areas? Can you provide a picture?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
While I have not removed any of my finish...... here is some pics
front end of the frame without slide.... there is also some proofs in there which I am yet not sure what they are for, as they are not your typical German proofs......
I am not sure about the sliver/white being paint though..... I much more think of it as different colored material that is pressed into the polymer when the frame is molded. Whatever it is...... it is not on the inside of the frame

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
AHHHHH
well it might just be some sort of airbrush paint...................
here she is without the backstrap installed, and you can see where the finish is already coming off the frame from removing and installing the backstrap

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
blasphemy! Kinda weak if you ask me. I don't personaly like the frame of the FE(but then again I've never seen in person) but I would assume with Walthers high standards they would have something more perminant.....but I guess maybe if they was to mold and blend differnt materials to get the same visual effects it may weaken the frame in comp to the standard ones....which apparently that's what the FE is but just has a custom paint job. But maybe this is all a misunderstanding and I've just been misinformed. I hope its just all a misunderstanding because if I was a FE holder I'd be alittle urked considering I bought something that is suppose to be a limited piece but if its some sort of paint-on, anyone with enough skill can duplicate its physical apperance. But not only that, its just the principle in whole....dunno if anyone knows what I mean by that, don't really know how to express exactly in words.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
personally im not willing to scratch mine to test it...

Im planning on buying a black on when they come out anyway...
I can't tell if it's paint or something that is molded into the polymer, but it does not want to scratch off of my PPS FE, for whatever that's worth.

As has been said more than once on this forum, it looks far better in person than it does in the pictures. The frame, in fact, looks quite nice, and the gun has an overall solid, comfortable feel. I would recommend it to anyone. :) Having said that, like David, I'll definitely pick up a black one as well when they arrive on the scene. You just can't have too many Walthes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is some tough paint- I doub't it will wear off for a long time. The only spot I scratched it off was at the edge of the paint line inside the frame where the slide goes. There are some pictures in this thread that show the paint line. It is not airbrushed- it looks to be more a of a paint brush stroke application. In home interior painting there is a technique called crazing where a base coat is put down with a different kind of top coat. Both paints do not mix (kinda like oil and latex paint). This creates a cracked texture where the top coat doesn't seal completely over the bottom coat and you see the bottom color through the craks. This paint on the frame is like that. It must have been brush applied with only a portion of the paint adhering to the frame.

It does not come off with any nail polish remover or other gun chemicals that I have tried so far. I was trying to take off the finish inside the magazine well to see how durable it was.

It seems to be good stuff and I am not worried about it. Truthfully if you think about it- the black coting on the slide and all the metal parts are a type of paint too. If you don't have a stainless steel gun- you got a painted gun...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
You can rationalize it any way you prefer, but it's another Umarax joke on America. The jokes on Russia are just a little more obvious.

Gang, the Walther Banner don't mean what it used to....

M

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have to disagree.......
The PPS was designed in Ulm.... ( I met the guy) and is produced in Ulm.
Yes the finish of the FE PPS might not be what we were hoping for, but we already went over the issue of these FE not becoming a collectors items and not going up in value like other Walthers.
The PPS is one fine gun and I have had a few people tell me that they love it, some of whom shoot Glocks and XD's and 1911's. (Just mentioning this to show that there is a good market for it across the board)
It also looks like Walther uses a different polymer on the PPS then on the P99. It is harder than the P99's polymer.
Anyhow... I have a FE and it is a shooter and I won't worry about the finish at all.
Enjoy the PPS for what it is.... a great CCW that will do Walther's name justice IMHO

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I have to disagree.......
The PPS was designed in Ulm.... ( I met the guy) and is produced in Ulm.
Yes the finish of the FE PPS might not be what we were hoping for, but we already went over the issue of these FE not becoming a collectors items and not going up in value like other Walthers.
The PPS is one fine gun and I have had a few people tell me that they love it, some of whom shoot Glocks and XD's and 1911's. (Just mentioning this to show that there is a good market for it across the board)
It also looks like Walther uses a different polymer on the PPS then on the P99. It is harder than the P99's polymer.
Anyhow... I have a FE and it is a shooter and I won't worry about the finish at all.
Enjoy the PPS for what it is.... a great CCW that will do Walther's name justice IMHO

+1 to Uncut's remarks. Sometimes it's easy to overthink these things, or perhaps even expect too much. The PSS FE is a solid pistol, well constructed, accurate, and it conceals nicely. In 9mm and .40 S&W, it brings a lot to the table for those who are looking to carry something more substantial than the calibers you normally find in a mouse gun. Enjoy it for what it is or pass it by, I guess, but the pluses outweigh the minuses in my book at this point. I'm glad to own one and highly recommend it. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
If one wanted to make a case that "the Walther Banner ain't what it used to be", then they should start with that toy, the P22.
The PPS is priced to compete. Looks like street price is going to be in the 500s, just like a Glock. For that price, you're not getting a Mercedes.
The PPS comes in two flavors- fugly, and fugly-er. Both appear to be fine shooters. That's all I care about. You could put "Hyundai" on the slide. I'd still buy one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

I saw a photo of a black PPS on the cover of a new gun magazine today, and I LIKE it......

Darn, no money... :cool:

Time to start saving again.

JP

·
Registered
335 Posts
I been saving my money, and I want one. What magazine was that on?

Hivoltage:

I can't remember which magazine it was.. I think it's just hit the stands, as I hadn't seen it before.

I was doing my usual job of reading every gun book on Wally World's shelves while the Missus' was spending our meager funds, and it was just one of the new ones. The PPS picture is located on the lower right of the front cover, I think the article is on page 68 (or thereabouts) and there is a very nice full length article with it. The person who did the article and tested the PPS was very high on it.:D

I know it's in the "eye of the beholder" but for my pleasure the all black looks very good, and I would prefer it over the FE in a heartbeat.

I'll probably wind up with one after the new year.

Check it out.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts