Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, everyone is making this fine firearm a nightstand gun? I've carried a 1911 for years and the PPX is certainly lighter, slide is larger but don't have any problem concealing it. Is it a pretty gun? Most would say no, but I guess it has grown on me because I think it has it's own unique look. But whether anyone is carrying it or not we all seem to be in agreement that it is a nice piece.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
The PPX with a laser/light combo is a great nightstand gun but it has light trigger with no manual safety. In my opinion a PPX isn't a good choice for carry gun unless the chamber's empty. To be fair I feel the same about a PPS too... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess toting those 1911's for years has dulled my senses about the safety considerations. I am probably wrong but I don't believe you can discharge it without intention to do so. Hey, if I do I'll be honest and tell you guys. My PPX will find it's way to the nite stand at some point in time. Planning on a PPS for personal carry. Just concentrating on getting ammo right now. I have to say that I think at some point I may even pick-up a PPQ. The Walther line has impressed me that much!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The trick is finding a PPX, or -- better yet -- fonding someone who knows something about it. I was in three local gun shops this morning in the central part of the state, asking about the not-so-new Walther. Not a single clerk in any of the stores had ever even heard of the PPX, let along had one in stock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The PPX is my edc. Its all in the holster position a comfortable cant. It can be carried for sure but its big and hard to do. I am carrying it as i am typing this

·
Registered
250 Posts
The trick is finding a PPX, or -- better yet -- fonding someone who knows something about it. I was in three local gun shops this morning in the central part of the state, asking about the not-so-new Walther. Not a single clerk in any of the stores had ever even heard of the PPX, let along had one in stock.
There has never been a problem finding an all black PPX on the internet-based gun websites. Although I can understand one wanting to buy locally and inspect the gun before purchase.

Here are a few places:
WALTHER PPX M1 9MM BLACK @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:

Grabagun.com Walther PPX M1 Pistol 9MM 16RD Black Fixed Sights Online Gun Store

http://www.kygunco.com/walther-ppx-m1-9mm-4-matte-blue-pistol-16-round-64795

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's true; plenty enough of them show up online. But there's nothing like checking one out first, getting a feel for the pistol's build and heft, looking as well as listening. I'll take my time and wait for an up-close-and-personal examination before making a decision.

I've been as much struck by lack of knowledge of the gun as I am about the fact that you can't find any on the shelves in my neck of the woods. That doesn't speak well for Walther's marketing efforts to date.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That's true; plenty enough of them show up online. But there's nothing like checking one out first, getting a feel for the pistol's build and heft, looking as well as listening. I'll take my time and wait for an up-close-and-personal examination before making a decision.

I've been as much struck by lack of knowledge of the gun as I am about the fact that you can't find any on the shelves in my neck of the woods. That doesn't speak well for Walther's marketing efforts to date.
Get to a gun show, that's where I found mine. I knew nothing about it and had to come to this site and elsewhere online to research it. I went back and bought it the next day.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Tried it twice and no one has a PPX; as noted, most of the folks I ask haven't heard of it -- all you get a blank stare and the inevitable "Plenty of Glocks here" gibberish. I have five shops trying to locate one via their various distributors; this has been going on for weeks. Still waiting. Plenty of time, though.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I feel you. When I went looking for a handgun in early March all I saw were some overpriced Glocks and some other stuff I never heard of at the gun stores and pawn shops. The advice I got was, 'you want spend at least $500 for a reliable gun.' I was sold on Glock and went to that gun show looking for one at the best price, but none of them were under $550 and those guys wouldn't budge on those prices. But I did see two vendors with this Walther that I never heard of for $449. When I went back the next day to buy it, one guy agreed to sell it for $400 and here we are.

Hopefully they will get some your way soon!

We have another gun show coming up next week. Going to look for something for the wife. Most likely a Ruger LC9. The PPS will have to wait for now, but I do want one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PPX is awesome!

I'm a new gun owner. I held a few guns before purchasing and the ppx just felt good in my hand. I had no idea what I was looking for in a pistol, but I was just tired of thinking about finally owning a gun. I got home and starting reading about my purchase. The PPX is just fantastic! Everyone at the range is jealous of the performance and the ease of firing this gun. On my second trip to a gun range ever a guy asked if I was a competitive shooter! Ha ha! I'm 46 and hadn't fired a pistol for 20+ years! Did I mention that I'm completely NEW! I'm proud to own a Walther as my first gun and I couldn't be happier with the value of the PPX. I've run 200 rounds through it and cleaned it about a dozen times and I just never get tired of holding it. I didn't understand ANY gun terminology before I bought this gun a month ago. "Getting high on the back strap" is now my favorite saying. It's just so natural to get your hands in a comfortable firing position.

On another note I'm cleaning it with ballistol and I'd love to here what other Walther owners use.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Reactions: muckaleewarrior71

·
Registered
176 Posts
A 1st look at the PPX. I received mine today. It was transferred to me by my local range. No one in the store had seen one before. They all wanted to play with it. They had a PPQ in the case. I bought a box of Federal ammo from them and fired away.

First overwhelming impression, this the most natural pointer I've ever held in my hand. This pistol points like your index finger. It does not feel like a gun, it feels like another digit. Really. And it shoots the same, effortlessly. It takes no effort to shoot. This pistol is a TACK DRIVER. I basically shot the 4 inch center out of a silhouette at 7 yards without using the sights. Then I started shooting through the hole. This gun is a technological triumph for Walther. Ergonomics are off the charts. The trigger is smooth as silk and pulls very, very easily. Frighteningly so.

I have never owned a pistol without a manual safety, so this pistol scares me a little. Maybe in few weeks it will be no big deal. I won't be carrying it CCW anytime soon. If I did it would not have a round in the chamber (no point in carrying it).

It's a full-sized handgun, but it's very light because of the polymer. Top heavy, but that works in the shooters favor. Almost no recoil.
This is my first polymer pistol and I'm wondering how well it will last. I have a 27 year old Ruger that functions the same as it did the day bought it after thousands and thousands of rounds. I wonder how the PPX will be doing in 27 years.

I think Walther has a winner here, but with a few caveats. The gun was dry out of the box. I can tell this gun does not like to be dry. I think they should have rethought the manual safety. A half-cocked, double action that can't be fired with the hammer down, nor is there anyway to drop the hammer. I say again half-cocked all the time. I see bunches of negligent discharges. Me, the only time I'll have a round in the chamber is when I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I may change my mind after a few thousand rounds. I would feel so much better about this pistol if it had a manual safety, either cocked and locked (1911 style) or a de-cocker and if it would fire with the hammer down (double strike capability and hammer down/round chambered carry). For now, I'm gonna be burning this puppy up at the range. Despite the negatives, I love this gun.

Reactions: muckaleewarrior71

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Glad you like it Tanker. I really like mine and I don't keep a round chambered myself. Just two mags of hollow points with it at my bedside and riding shotgun with me. I would only carry it outside the waistband sometimes whenever I do get a holster. My plan is to get something more compact to wear in the waistband.

Hopefully I will make the range today and test out some new hollow points I bought last week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dry Gun

This is what I really need help on. I'm using ballistol. How much? I don't want my gun to run dry but I also do want to attract dirt!

21 - 40 of 159 Posts