Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a P99 date coded 2002 and can confirm for you fits fine in both Fobus holsters, the belt attachment type and the paddle. Have to say though, personally, I do not like either Fobus as for concealed carry does not hold the pistol high enough or snug against body to suit me and as far as duty wear, have been cautioned against them by a firearms instructor as advised that if they are grabbed violently, the very small rivet heads pull through the plastic. Thinking about running my own test on that as the holsters are of no use to me now, but the info came from a good source so thinking it might be true, maybe someone here on the board can confirm or say otherwise. In any event decided not to use them.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
It is true that Fobus holsters can be ripped open if the pistol is grabbed and torqued.  As indicated by stevehf48, they will give at the rivets.  I've also seen people unable to draw their guns from Fobus holsters without first pushing the pistol grip away from their bodies.  

If you just need something at the range to carry a pistol in, the Fobus can handle that, but there are better options out there.  My old shooting instructor told my group that we should take the same care in selecting a holster that we took in selecting our respective pistols.  Over the years, I haven't seen anything that would make me second guess that advice.  If price is a concern, visit some of the online B.Boards and Auction Sites and search through the holsters for a good used one.  I know the Glock Board has a whole thread dedicated to people dumping holsters that they no longer need.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BreakerDave, Thank you for confirming that for me about the Fobus holsters; plan on selling or giving mine away.
I had seen some good reviews in magazines about El Paso Saddlery and just recently ordered a holster from them. Any experience with that company?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Comp Tac makes some really nice Kydex rigs for the P99.
I purchased one of the settable cant deluxe models. It's great and very concealable.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevehf48 @ Aug. 31 2005,18:52)]BreakerDave, Thank you for confirming that for me about the Fobus holsters; plan on selling or giving mine away.  
I had seen some good reviews in magazines about El Paso Saddlery and just recently ordered a holster from them. Any experience with that company?
Sure thing, stevehf48-  Unfortunately, I haven't had any personal experience with El Paso Saddlery.  If memory serves, they do quite a bit of stuff for the S.A.S.S. crowd and you've got to put out a decent product to be successful with the "cowboys and cowgirls."   S.A.S.S. is the only game I can think of where I've seen people put more money into the garb and gear than the guns.  -That said, I think their shoots are usually a lot of fun.

For CCW leather, I like Andy Arratoonian's Horsehoe Leather.  His designs are elegantly simple and are relatively popular with the professional carry crowd both here and in the U.K.  He's also been making holsters for a while and has a fairly good take on it.  Even if you don't buy from him, it's worth a trip to his website to read his tips about proper holster selection (i.e. task specific) and the whole cowhide vs. horsehide debate.

http://www.holsters.org/index.htm

For CCW Kydex, I think it's hard to beat Comp-Tac. I like their C-T.A.C. holster.  You can adjust the cant to fit your body and personal preference.  

http://www.comp-tac.com/

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I can't remember where I got it, but I have a video (mpeg) of someone walking up behind another and almost effortlessly torquing off a Glock in a plastic holster (owb). No PVC for me

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's the one. Thanks Toeball.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I bought a Fobus at Gander Mountain last night. I'm not a big fan of it. I figured carrying my gun in a Fobus was better than carrying it in my waistband. I think I'll stick with the waistband until I can get a good IWB holster. I can conceal it pretty easy in the waistband - the Fobus screams "HEY I'M CARRYING A GUN!"

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluebomberx @ Sep. 07 2005,16:10)]I can conceal it pretty easy in the waistband
Be careful carrying in the waistband.  When you're dealing with guns like the Glock & P99, you have to remember that they have relatively light / easily manipulated triggers and lack a conventional safety.  In a proper holster, these guns are perfectly safe to carry cocked and loaded.  In the waistband, without a proper holster, carrying these types of guns, cocked and loaded, is a good way of shooting yourself.  -One of the local Las Vegas Metro officers shot off one of his nuts a couple years ago carrying his Glock like that.  

Do yourself the favor by spending the money to get a good quality holster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got a Don Hume NH715 recently.

It's not a super-high-tech-wiz-bang holster, but it does the job very nicely for me. At about $20 I think it was a good deal.

It doesn't hold itself open like a kydex or Milt Sparks, but it rides well for me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with Fobus, since I have 3. The regular paddle hugs your body better than the Roto style...

Galco makes some really nice stuff...I have a F.E.D. paddle. Albeit my Fobus fits more snuggly against my body...

El Paso makes great stuff. I own a half a dozen pieces. Only problem is that if you want it ASAP...forgetaboutit....it will take from 3-6 months....maybe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Galco doesn't admit to having an IWB for the P99 or SW99. Do you know of one they have that the P99 fits?

I have a nylon Galco that I got years ago thta fits both my 1911 and my BHP. I'd love to have an IWB Galco for my P99...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've noticed at Glock Talk alot of holsters for the Glock 30 will fit the P99. The Fobus I bought the other day said Glock 29/30/39/SW99 on the package. I''m thinking about getting a Fist 17A IWB for my P99AS or XD9.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts