Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at holsters for my P99 and have decided to go with Fobus until the weather starts warming up. At that time, I will likely get a Smartcarry.

Question is: which is preferred, the PLAIN paddle, or the ROTO paddle?

If you use a PLAIN paddle Fobus, have you ever felt the need for adjustment to your holster's geometry? If you use a ROTO paddle, do you think the expense of the roto function was wasted?

Do you use a Fobus paddle mag pouch?

Thanks in advance.

solocatsailor~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/) ~~~

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bought a Fobus Roto holster about two weeks ago.  To be honest, I've only tried it on once (w/ the gun); I haven't tried it out in "public", yet.

My first impression is that it does NOT conceal well at all for me.  Due to the roto feature, it seems to stick out more than I'm used to.  If I could do it over, I'd forego the roto part and just get a plain paddle Fobus. For applications where concealment is not an issue, I'm sure it would be just fine.  I've heard that some users like the roto for carrying cross-draw while driving. FYI, I have a Ky-Tac BraveHeart (IWB) for concealment.

I also have a medium-size SmartCarry; very nice, indeed; I highly recommend them.  

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Catbird. I kind of figured that a Fobus would be a good concealment holster for parka season. Thanks for noting that the roto feature may be more bulky than the plain paddle.

Do you use your Smartcarry often? While driving?

Any other opinions out there?

solocatsailor~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/) ~~~

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (solocatsailor @ Dec. 25 2002,6:11)]Do you use your Smartcarry often? While driving?
Yes, I use my SmartCarry quite frequently.

I can wear it while driving, but I don't use it as a driving holster (does that make sense?).  FWIW, when weather permits, I ride my motorcycle often; in that situation, the SmartCarry is downright uncomfortable/painful.

Just for clarification, I don't (but could quite easily) use my SmartCarry in conjunction with my P99. I'm usually carrying my subcompact Glock 33 or my Kahr P40 in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Catbird, thanks for your thoughts. I've purchased a plain paddle Fobus. They're so cheap, I figure I can always get a roto paddle if I find I need the roto function.

Also, thanks for your insight into the Smartcarry. I find that keys and a money clip are uncomfortable in my pocket, so I can imagine that riding a motorcycle with a P40 (nice gun!) between your legs could be as well. I will get a Smartcarry when the weather warrants. Hopefully, by then I will have shed a little holiday ballast, too.

Thanks!

solocatsailor~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/) ~~~

·
Registered
81 Posts
Solo:
 In my opinion, don't waste your time with the roto!

I had 2 from a promo that I "acquired".  Sold one and gave the other away!
The only Fobus I own now is for my Sig 245 in the paddle configuration.(no roto)
 I've gone to a Don Hume JIT beltslide which are really inexpensive (about $20-25) and keep your 99 tight and close to the body.  You can't tell it's there under a sweatshirt.  At that price too, if it gets stretched out you just get another.

Hope it helps.

Chris~

·
Registered
162 Posts
My two cents...I agree completely with Catbird re: Roto feature. It makes the gun stick way out. Even a winter parka will not conseal it . I also have a belt slide and it is much better. I Use a Beretta mag holder from Forbus with both my p99 because the both fit perfectly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My $0.02 - I use the straight Fobus with my G26 and with a jacket, fleece, or big sweatshirt it works well. Gun on the left and mag holder on the right. The bulk of the cover hides it well. I'm toying with one for my P99 but for now I have a Del Fatti LP OWB that holds it in much tighter. I haven't figured out how I will carry the P99 IWB yet. As for the smart carry, my P7 is the largest I can be comfortable with, I've never felt comfortable with the P99 in there. Maybe a few more sit-ups will help the pants be a little looser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts