Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday afternoon bought a used FNS 9 Compact from an Armslist seller at Monteagle for $375. I know, I was probably robbed at that price. Doesn't appear to have been used much and it cleaned up well. No chance to shoot it yet. I have been looking for P99c in 9 mm but so far no joy. There's a service bulletin that applies to my FNS9c - checked the serial number - so will be sending it to the factory soon for the repair - new striker, I think. Any opinions here about the compact FNS or FN factory repair work?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a FNS9C and love it. For me it’s right up there with my PPS m2. I got it for $369 new.

My only grip is the mag release sits low in the frame and you have to be very deliberate to work it. You can order the mag release for the full size FNS and swap it out. I think I paid about $18 shipped for the new release. It sits higher in the frame and is easier to use, but hasn’t caused me to accidentally release the mag. Fit and finish is on par with my Walthers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sunday afternoon bought a used FNS 9 Compact from an Armslist seller at Monteagle for $375. I know, I was probably robbed at that price. Doesn't appear to have been used much and it cleaned up well. No chance to shoot it yet. I have been looking for P99c in 9 mm but so far no joy. There's a service bulletin that applies to my FNS9c - checked the serial number - so will be sending it to the factory soon for the repair - new striker, I think. Any opinions here about the compact FNS or FN factory repair work?
I have FNS pistols and am very impressed. The ergos, capacity, factory night sites, trigger, and 3 mags is a heck of a good deal for the price.

For me, the FNS pistols are almost a photo finish tie with the P99 series.

Regarding the recall, it's disappointing but FN will handle it very well and promptly and free. Also, check your trigger. Some of the earlier FNS pistols had a minor defect that was quietly repaired by FN for free. I had an effected one. FN did a great job promptly fixing it.

Watch this video and see if your gun has the issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've found it easier to actuate the magazine release on the right side of the frame with the middle finger of my right hand without altering my grip too much. That is, on the side of the frame opposite the one where my right thumb rests against the frame - on most pistols with a magazine release near the trigger guard, I'd use my right thumb to depress the button. The magazine drops free when I use my middle finger but using my thumb, the button is more difficult to press and the magazine tends not to fall out. Giving it the finger, I know, very funny.

I'd read about the fix with the full size pistol magazine release and am happy to hear that works well and may do that after recall service.

There are two of those lock-up problem videos and I've been able to reproduce neither problem the pistol I've got. FN America hasn't sent me a prepaid mailing label yet although I've run my pistol's serial number through their web app and have opened a customer service case. Maybe will hear from them today. I plan to order a Theis holster with FN service turnaround time accounting for the wait on the holster.

I compared the FNS 9-c to my full-size P99 and found the widths similar, height and length shorter. The FN product is not as visually appealing as the Walther and does not have the same ergonomics. That said, I have been able to develop a grip with the FN using both flush and finger-extension magazines that I think will work fine when I finally get a chance to fire it.

Out of an abundance of curiosity, I compared my FNS 9-c with my ersatz Nanking FN Browning M1900, also a striker fired pistol designed for concealment, and found their heights and lengths roughly the same, although widths very different as the Chinese Browning is a single stack .32 caliber firearm. I'll try to snap some pictures this week and post them. Both pistols do have a similarly pronounced beavertail.

How do you carry your 9-c pistols? I'm thinking IWB at about four o'clock in a single clip holster. The two-clip Alien-Gear style hybrid holsters tend to pull my trousers down uncomfortably around my right buttock. I just don't like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FNS9-c vs. Nanking FNBrowning M1900

Camera battery died before I could get a couple of more pictures of the FNS 9c and the Chinese FNBrowning M1900. Certainly not an apples to apples comparison nor even a careful placement for measurement's sake.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts