Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the James Bond movie Dr. No and I couldn't believe what I thought I saw.

Right after James has the oriental girl arrested he goes back in the bungalow to wait and see who shows up (to kill him). James dresses up the bed to make it appear as if someone were sleeping in it. James then sits down and loads a magazine into his PPK. A close-up of the PPK makes it look like there are brown grips on it with an FN insignia on the right panel. A man later appears and points a semi-auto (S&W Mod. 52??) and fires six rounds into the bed. After James tells the man to drop his gun and talks to him for a minute the man grabs his gun from the floor fires at James on an empty chamber. Thus the famous phrase "That's a Smith and Wesson, and you've had your six."

(BTW- Goof #1 for that movie. When the would-be assailant fires all his rounds at the bed the slide stayed open. When the same man grabs his gun to shoot James the slide is closed.)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I went back and looked at it. I've only got that one on VHS right now, I wish I had it on DVD, but from what I saw it is definately a Walther. The grips had the old C W like the first Carl Walther pistols did. Upon further examination, just before Bond shot the guy, you'll notice that the gun is not a PPK. It has no hammer!! It looks like a Model 6 Walther or a Model 8. I hesitate to say its a model 8, because the gun looks larger than a model 8 and the extractor is a lot longer than the model 8. If it is a Model 6, it would be very rare. The model 6 was a 9mm Luger caliber and Walther did not make very many of them.

All in all, I would say that it is definately a Walther, as seen by the C W on then grips, but which model, I'm not 100% sure.

Good eye!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dr. No, isn't that the one where Q introduces the ppk to Bond? (in the book, not the movie).  If so, what is he doing with another Walther model??  I remember that scene, I think it is Jack Lord (Hawaii 5-O guy) that bites the bullet from Bond.  Now I am going to have to pull my old VHS out and check it out, DVD would make it alot easier.  Unfortunately, very few Hollywood movies show correct and accurate use of hand guns.  As to the the slide being closed on the Smith & Wesson, I guess we have to imagine something caused it to close.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In the movie he get's the PPK (which if you look closely looks more like a PP), I can't remember which book he gets it, may be Dr. No.

In the movie he's given the PPK by the armorer Major Boothroyd. Q doesn't come along until Thunderball, I believe.

Jack Lord is actually Felix Leiter the CIA agent.

On another oops, during the "dragon scene" in which Bond is shooting the armored vehicle dressed up like a dragon, in the beginning, he was shooting a PPK (whick again looks like a PP), then the dragon shows again, then when the camera comes back to Bond, he's shooting what appears to be a 1911. Go figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts