Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my new PPK/s, Ft. Smith, Saturday. All I had were some reloaded ammo using cast bullets. Some were Powder Coated and some were cast Hollow Points from GT Bullets.
The gun ate everything I put through it. About 100 rounds total.
I am impressed with the quality of the gun. It does have sharp edges and would benefit from a dehorning job bur otherwise I like it very much.
This pistol is my first ever Walther by the way.
And my first post !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby. Got mine just last week.
I would be curious to feel one of the “sharp edged” PPK/S’s I’ve been hearing about. Mine feels fine. Different people doing different parts I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your new baby. Got mine just last week.
I would be curious to feel one of the “sharp edged” PPK/S’s I’ve been hearing about. Mine feels fine. Different people doing different parts I guess.
You know, "Sharp" may be to strong a word. You could not cut your finger but the edges are very pronounced.
I am headed out right now to shoot it some more.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
You know, "Sharp" may be to strong a word. You could not cut your finger but the edges are very pronounced.
I am headed out right now to shoot it some more.:)
That's one thing I noticed with mine also, maybe 'unfinished' rather than 'sharp' is a better term, but whatever, they sure could use a little buffing.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took some 1500 grit sandpaper and polished the edges around the edges of the beaver-tail (duckbill is a better term I guess), where it presses against the base of the thumb. You can rub your finger along the edges and you can feel the areas that are rough. I only touched the edges so it looks the same as before. I wrapped the sandpaper around a dowel.

I usually wear a leather work glove with the fingers cut off when I am going to shoot a lot. Makeshift shooting glove.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took some 1500 grit sandpaper and polished the edges around the edges of the beaver-tail (duckbill is a better term I guess), where it presses against the base of the thumb. You can rub your finger along the edges and you can feel the areas that are rough. I only touched the edges so it looks the same as before. I wrapped the sandpaper around a dowel.

I usually wear a leather work glove with the fingers cut off when I am going to shoot a lot. Makeshift shooting glove.
I like that idea. Today I fired off the remainder of the 250 piece box of Berry's hollow base round nose as well as about 50 more of the GT Bullets 88 grain ,cast,hollow points. Powder charge was 3.2 grains of W-231.
And I did develop a bit of a red abrasion on top of my thumb in exactly the area you mention.
I will definitely try your sand paper trick to see if I can just "break" that edge.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts