Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I had my first trip to the range today with my P99/AS 9mm. I am used to shooting Sigs and Glocks but finally decided to indulge myself with a P99. I am very glad that I did!

While I was impressed by the pistol (the AS trigger and ergonomics especially), I did not care for my accuracy while shooting it. I felt much more muzzle flip than I am used to. It had been a while since I had gone to the range, so I brought my Sig P226 9mm with me as a control. I was able to shoot dead center at 15 yards with the 226 but I had trouble with the P99 getting within 2 inches of center. I shot the P99 better at closer distances, but still not as dead on as I can shoot with my 226. I wish I could tell you that I was consistent in where I was placing the shots, but they were all over the target.

I understand that there are significant differences between the two guns, but can you offer any suggestions that might help me increase my accuracy with the P99? (besides the obvious...more practice) Could it be that I am not used to the extra muzzle flip and that is affecting my accuracy? :confused:

At what point did any of you change out the front sight to adjust your accuracy?

Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could be you need to change the backstrap, or you need to change the front sight. I would guess, it would be more of a backstrap issue since you said the shots were all over.

I would suggest changing the backstrap and to pratice dry firing to see if the gun wobbles during your pull. If you see any flinch in your front sight on those pulls, it could just be a trigger pull issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try the backstrap- I didn't think of that. I have very large hands and assumed that the large backstrap would work the best for me. Thank you!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have small hands, and assumed the small strap would be best... but last weekend, i shot quite a lot of rounds with one P99/Med and would shoot the next with the other P99/small. With the medium, i was getting 2" groups (great shooting for me) and with the small, they were all over the place.

thorn

·
Registered
186 Posts
I will try the backstrap- I didn't think of that. I have very large hands and assumed that the large backstrap would work the best for me. Thank you!
I wouldn't say I have michael jordon hands but I'm 6'-1" and have good size hands. I prefer the small backstrap. It's all about what feels right to you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not really sure at all, but I am guessing that the proportions between certain things like finger length, palm thinkness, hand width, etc. are more important then overall size. Just a theory though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts