Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a PPS this past Monday. The wife and I had come off the range and for whatever reason I decided to do a little window shopping in the attached store before going out to the car. What should I see but a brand new PPS nestled in amongst the P99s and SW99s in the first case I look at. Five minutes later (which is how long it took me to flag down a clerk, examine the gun, and for the wife to say "Of course" like I was an idiot for even asking) I was filling out the 4473.

Fast-forward to today where we took it to the range for the first time and put around 70 ? 80 rounds through it. I was happy with how the gun shot, in terms of putting the rounds onto the target, and the trigger seemed fine, but there were a couple of problems, one minor and one serious, which kind of put a damper on things

First off I quickly determined that something about how I was curling my pinky under the baseplate of the six-round magazine was causes it to somehow that finger when firing. Not sure what I need to do with my grip there, and honestly, if the answer is ?use the seven-round mag,? I'm not going to be too bent out of shape. I didn't dwell on this too much because though, because a second, more serious problem raised its head.

The pistol would repeatedly (once or twice per magazine) fail to go all the way back into battery after firing, requiring a gentle tap on the back the slide to get it to snap back into place. A few times it did this while pulling the slide back to load a round at the start of a magazine. I seemed to get similar results with snap-caps at home afterwards, and I'm really not sure what's causing it.

Ammunition was 115gr WWB, and I had cleaned and lubed the gun the night before we went to the range (Hoppes Elite Bore Gel and Break-Free to clean, Rem-oil to lube). I was using the seven round mag for most of the shots, (due to the problems with the six and my pinky) but it seemed to happen with both mags.

I like the way the gun shoots, I like the way it fits my hand, and I love the size, but this has me more than a little concerned about using it as a carry gun right now. My current plan is to grab a couple different brands of ammo and see if that makes any difference the next time out, but beyond that, I'm unsure what to try next. Has anyone else encountered anything similar or have an idea for something else to check?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would not worry about it until a couple cleanings and a couple hundred rounds, then I would be concerned. Chambering rounds are tough on these short action guns. I have had the failure to go into battery with a couple of my many new guns, and it always went away as the gun loosened up. I don't have PPS experience yet, hopefully if someone else has had your problem I am sure they will chime in.

I have been very impressed with accuracy reports for the new PPS.

·
Registered
361 Posts
First let me say that I don't have a PPS ... But could this be the beginning of the slide locking back and staying locked? Someone with a PPS that has experienced this problem and could chime in, but I would tend to lean that these two problems could be related. If so, I know there are a couple of threads of other people who have had their slides lock and they can't budge them. Do some searching in this forum and you should be able to find them as it wasn't that long ago that I recall seeing those posts.

Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
First let me say that I don't have a PPS ... But could this be the beginning of the slide locking back and staying locked? Someone with a PPS that has experienced this problem and could chime in, but I would tend to lean that these two problems could be related. If so, I know there are a couple of threads of other people who have had their slides lock and they can't budge them. Do some searching in this forum and you should be able to find them as it wasn't that long ago that I recall seeing those posts.

Good luck
I too do not have a PPS yet(waiting for the .40cal) but I personaly don't think it is related to the lock/jam-back issue. That issue had to do with the spring of the slide release. If you recall, the spring of the slide release would improperly function thus jamming the slide locked. The image I get from the OP is that the slide just isn't 100% sitting back at neutral after chambering either manualy or automacticly(after firing) so it couldn't be the slide release.......unless its snagging, but then if it was then I'm sure the OP would mention the unpleasent sound that would make. I think your issue may be due to the ammo. I hear the PPS is suggested to be fed +p ammo due to the fact that the slide is so little it cannot gain enough velocity to correctly chamber rounds. But I'm no expert, just a wispering voice that's been waiting FOREVER for the arrival of the .40cal. Keep us advise in what you find, I'm sure everyone would like to know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had that "major problem" once. Realizing I wasn't keeping my wrist stiff enough and the issue went away. While the larger Walthers(most larger pistols) you can damn near shoot with a rubber arm, pocket pistols have been notorious for needing a bit more stability. If you were shooting one handed try two handed and see if that corrects the issue. If so the gun might need some break in time/ readjust your grip. It seems your fairly experienced, so I wont say thats the problem, but it could be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh, say what? "was causes it to somehow that finger when firing"????
Whoops, should have proofread my post better. That should read:

"something about how I was curling my pinky under the baseplate of the six-round magazine was cause it to smack into that finger when firing"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cancel FE lay-away?

Hi,

Just joined the forum and have enjoyed reading so far. Wife just put PPS FE on lay-away for fathers day. Given "slides jamming open" "finish flaking off" problems, should I have her cancel the sale with Gander Mountain? Thanks for your opinion(s).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

Just joined the forum and have enjoyed reading so far. Wife just put PPS FE on lay-away for fathers day. Given "slides jamming open" "finish flaking off" problems, should I have her cancel the sale with Gander Mountain? Thanks for your opinion(s).
i'm going to say yes for 3 reasons:

1.black is better.
2.fe has a potential paint problem you don't want to deal with.
3.i dislike gm and would love to see them lose a sale.

cancel the order.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

should have said, whatever price you're paying at gm, you're paying too much. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kensteele,

Thanks for feedback. Dealings with GM here in Denver area so far so good for me. Your spot on about the price. $640.00 w/state & city extorsion fees.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had that "major problem" once. Realizing I wasn't keeping my wrist stiff enough and the issue went away. While the larger Walthers(most larger pistols) you can damn near shoot with a rubber arm, pocket pistols have been notorious for needing a bit more stability. If you were shooting one handed try two handed and see if that corrects the issue. If so the gun might need some break in time/ readjust your grip. It seems your fairly experienced, so I wont say thats the problem, but it could be.
Well, I certainly won't rule that out. I've only picked up shooting again recently after a long absence, so it's certainly possible. I'm shooting two-handed, and I think I have a decent grip, but then again, the fact that it's beating up my right pinky while firing with the six round mag may mean something is not quite rig

·
Registered
68 Posts
The pistol would repeatedly (once or twice per magazine) fail to go all the way back into battery after firing, requiring a gentle tap on the back the slide to get it to snap back into place. A few times it did this while pulling the slide back to load a round at the start of a magazine. I seemed to get similar results with snap-caps at home afterwards, and I'm really not sure what's causing it.
That happened to my FE before the slide got stuck. Not certian if related. I regularly shoot my PPK/S and a Sig230 with no issues, not limp wristing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I certainly won't rule that out. I've only picked up shooting again recently after a long absence, so it's certainly possible. I'm shooting two-handed, and I think I have a decent grip, but then again, the fact that it's beating up my right pinky while firing with the six round mag may mean something is not quite rig
I've owned and shot many short gripped pistols, Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh R9, Glock G26 and now S/W 940 (9mm snub) and all had my little finger under the mag/grip. Not sure what would cause it to smack into a pinky. Has to be some kind of rotation.

The PPS seems to have a "tall" slide relative to the grip ("high bore axis"), but would have to handle one to be sure. Try and grip as high as you can with the strong hand, then wrap the other hand around it. Both thumbs forward. Push the pistol into the off hand with the strong hand and pull the pistol back with the off hand to kind of lock it in. Firm, but not death like grip, should keep the pistol from rotating. Make sure the pistol is deep enough into the strong hand, into the web of the hand. (Someone have a picture of a good grip to link?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is what I was thinking to a tee.

MY PPK was really bad about handling limp wristing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'm going to say yes for 3 reasons:

1.black is better.
2.fe has a potential paint problem you don't want to deal with.
3.i dislike gm and would love to see them lose a sale.

cancel the order.
Not only for these excellent reasons, but you will also by definition get a non-"first edition" gun, so yours may have some of the bugs worked out!

I'm waiting for that reason, myself. Having been around manufactured goods (and software) for a long time I have learned to "never buy version one of anything". My AR-24 and my (black) PPS will be as close to breaking this rule as I come.

-- Sam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Yosemite Sam. Just received response from Walther customer service via e-mail. They say to stick with the purchase if I like the gun and any issues what-so-ever will be handled promptly should they arise. They did confirm that the "applied" finish is subject to wear but replacement/repair backup is for as long as I own the gun. Good enough for me in order to get the "bling" case and exta mag along with a superior Walther product, no matter the "possible" bugs. My P1 has made me a Walther biggot for life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

a resounding YES

·
Registered
335 Posts
Second mistake Walthers are NOT superior products they suck :( :eek:

Funny...

I've had a PP/P1/P5, still have a P99c/AS, P99/AS and PPS... So far I've never had a bad Walther pistol..

I can't say that about many firearm manufacturers products I've owned for over 50 years of buying and selling guns...;)

Of course you are more than welcome to express your opinion that Walthers "suck", on a dedicated Walther forum no less..

Tactful dude aren't you?:rolleyes:

Opinions are like assholes, we all have one.

Thanks for dropping by...

J.Pomeroy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts