Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my first day trying out my new P99-40-AS. Went to the NRA indoor range with my brother. We put each put through 75 rounds of flat nosed ball ammo and another 25 rounds of Federal hollowpoints. No FTF's, but it does have a quirky slide. You either must use the slide release, or the slide is down on an empty chamber, just pull the slide back and let it "fly"; otherwise the round jams, which would be bad when it's needed. I hope the tolerances for a less aggressive slide racking are looser as I fire the gun.

I do love the trigger on this thing, even right out of the box. If it improves from here, I'll be extremely pleased.

The gun is quite accurate. It has a beautifully natural point to it and vertically I'm right on target. But both my brother and me were off to the left, so I suspect the rear sights require adjustment. I am not a new shooter, but I am not one who has a lot of tools, especially gun tools. Exactly what tool should be used to adjust the rear sight?

I do wish I had gotten the 9mm. The 40 Caliber is good, but has very snappy recoil and I think I would enjoy shooting the 9mm much more. This is odd given the Glock 21 I've been shooting for 13 years, but I'm getting older and I seem to have developed some kind of pain in my thumb joint and elbow.

Anyone want to trade a 9mm for a 40? :)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I love my 9mm one. I finally got to try a 40 cal one a couple of months back - I would not like the gun nearly as much if I had the 40 cal one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i shoot the .40 alot,the big complaint is the recoil.well like anything practice,practice,then more.then you wont even notice it.i shoot the compct .40.you dont know wht recoil is until you shoot that...lol.but i like it and its a hard hitting round that i feel is more reliable then the smallish .9mm.i shoot to the left and low to sometimes.just practice dry firing the gun and you soon will see that its you and not the gun.like me your probally jerking the trigger.trigger control and sight align. are usually the culprit,not the rear sight.try a thumbs foward grip and wrap your hand around the pistol.hold the heel palm of your support hand against the grip,not your strong hand.squeeze...see how that works.but just practice...ALOT.AND EVERYTHING WIL FALL IN PLACE.the compact is something new for me and everytime i go to the range i improve with it.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
i shoot the .40 alot,the big complaint is the recoil.well like anything practice,practice,then more.then you wont even notice it.i shoot the compct .40.you dont know wht recoil is until you shoot that...lol.but i like it and its a hard hitting round that i feel is more reliable then the smallish .9mm.i shoot to the left and low to sometimes.just practice dry firing the gun and you soon will see that its you and not the gun.like me your probally jerking the trigger.trigger control and sight align. are usually the culprit,not the rear sight.try a thumbs foward grip and wrap your hand around the pistol.hold the heel palm of your support hand against the grip,not your strong hand.squeeze...see how that works.but just practice...ALOT.AND EVERYTHING WIL FALL IN PLACE.the compact is something new for me and everytime i go to the range i improve with it.
Smallish 9mm? As compared to what? Being that it is only .05 of an inch "smaller" than a .40 in diameter, I wonder what you base your supposition of reliability on.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Shooting to the left, or even more towards 7:00 often indicates squeezing the grip too hard. I see this, and quietly offer correction, very often at ranges. Try loosening up just a bit before making a sight change.

Best of luck and safety with your new 99!

photo

·
Registered
115 Posts
i shoot the .40 alot,the big complaint is the recoil.well like anything practice,practice,then more.then you wont even notice it.i shoot the compct .40.you dont know wht recoil is until you shoot that...lol.
The recoil from mine doesn't seem all that extreme, my 44 Magnum gets a lot more interesting with full power loads... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
9mm trade

Are you interested in selling your 40cal? If so, how much?
I have both the 40 and the 9mm and I would be interested in another 40.
I like the 9mm primarily because it is cheaper to shoot,
As far as adjusting your rear sight you should just need a small flat head screwdriver.:)

you may email me
2alpha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you interested in selling your 40cal? If so, how much?
I have both the 40 and the 9mm and I would be interested in another 40.
I like the 9mm primarily because it is cheaper to shoot,
As far as adjusting your rear sight you should just need a small flat head screwdriver.:)

you may email me
2alpha
Sure. I paid $625, it has 150 rounds through it, so I'd be asking approximately the same. Or trade for a 9mm. So if you can find a 9mm for the price you'd buy it for, we can work something out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will look around and see what I come up with.
I have a used 9mm QA on layaway but even if you were interested in it I would not suggest it as a carry gun do to the quick action.

and you in the range of $625 otherwise?
what state are you in?

2alpha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts