Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking at these for sometime now and after yesterdays shooting, I really liked it. Had some friends over and one had a LNIB Walther P5 that he let me shoot. It was his dads and I bet did not have more than 100rnd thru it. We shot revolvers, Steyr M9, Glock G30, AK47s, Various .22's and a Sig 226. Fun day.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Big Bob.....
first let me welcome you to the board
how do you compare the P5 to the P7......didn't you just sign up on the PCT board too???
Enjoy your stay and the great people we have here

Oliver

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I would echo Uncut's welcome -- you'll like it here -- and push the question a little more: How did the P5 stack up, in your opinion, to the other handguns that were brought to your shootfest, BigBob? Any comments at all, from reliability to accuracy to just plain feels good in the hand and is fun to shoot, would be appreciated. The forum has many P5 fans. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I must say that the P5 was probably my favorite one out of the bunch. Yes this is my first post and thanks for the welcomes. I have been looking at getting the Sig P6/225 and the Walther P5. It loos as if from the reviews that I have read and opinions I have heard, especially after shooting one that I'll have to invest in one that SOG has on hand if I cannot find one on gunbroker or guns america. I have a Sig 232 and it bites the web of my hand. I love shooting my 1911's and Glocks but I think I'll have a new favorite.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hey, BigBob: No surprise; the P5 is a superior firearm -- as good as it gets.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Here's a link for one on Gunsamerica.com that I spotted a couple of days ago:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97696681...-WWII/Large-Frame-Autos/P5_9MM_2_MAGS_BOX.htm

If I didn't already have two, including one that's NIB, I'd be tempted at this price to take a look.

If you search a bit, you'll find some links on this forum (and in this section) to a healthy discussion about the overall quality of some of the surplus P5 German police turn-ins, including ones from the SOG. As many have pointed out, the quality of gun you end up with largely depends on the luck of the draw. I would not let that stop me from getting one, however. I shoot a lot of guns at the range each week, and the P5 police turn-in that I use is far-and-away my favorite, week after week.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at that one on GA. I have asked the seller some questions about it and I am waiting on a response. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad you had such a good experience with the P5. I have personally owned a Sig 225 for 15 years (?) and just had it refinished because it is my beet shooting auto...the fit in the hand is just right. My P5 is second, but, as I have confessed here before, it feels top light and I don't shoot it as well. Range time is all I need.

Have fun and safe shooting!

By the way - the GA listing is no good, it is sold, I tried to buy it on Oct 18.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Big Bob.....
first let me welcome you to the board
how do you compare the P5 to the P7......didn't you just sign up on the PCT board too???
Enjoy your stay and the great people we have here

Oliver
Welcome to the board BigBob. You can't go wrong with the P5. While BigBob didn't mention a P7 I have an answer Uncut's question. The HK P7 is a more accurate pistol than the P5 at least in my hands. I like the trigger on the P7 PSP better than my P5. That doesn't keep me from carrying the P5 and enjoying it during range days. Besides that the P5 is half the price of a P7 which makes it an excellent buy for a quality service pistol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$550 is too much when SOG is selling them for $395. I can find Sig P6's for $299. I would love to buy the HK P7PSP but do not have the funds right now. Al my buddys have the P7M8&13's and shoot them alot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have personally owned a Sig 225 for 15 years (?) and just had it refinished because it is my beet shooting auto...
Shame on you -- shooting poor defenseless beets. Beets are sweet. Beets are our friends. Beets are our....uhh....ok, I'll shut up now....

:D
PhilR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts