Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and have a question. I am into USGI Garands ,Carbines etc. but reciently picked up a 1967 Non Import Walther PPK 9MM Kunz from a friend. The finish is pretty worn the grips and mag are missing but bore is very good. Which would be correct for this pistol, the brown or blck grips? I want to buy originals for it any good places besides E-bay? Also how many rds does it hold? Also, if I would decide to refinish it would it hurt the value or should I just leave it as is? Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
+1 to Earl
of you can try Tom Heller from Missouri.... I don't have his info but you can find him at the www.P38forum.com
I would guess the brown grips are the correct ones but I am not 100%
It should hold 6 rounds +1 in the chamber

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Brown grips for sure.

Refinish, NEVER!!! If your PPK is indeed made in 1968, then the slide markings were etched on. One swipe of any kind of polishing wheel or emery paper and they will be wrecked.

It is always best to leave the pistol as is and have "honest wear" than a reblued mess!

eBay while loathsome still has some brown grips listed - your best chance for a decent price. Otherwise Earl is a pretty good alternative.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Wellllll...if you pay the big $$$$ you CAN find someone who can reblue and not lose the marks. People have it done all the time on Lugers and they come out just fine. But it ain't gonna be cheap. Plus, if you are gonna carry it for protection, especially if you use a leather holster, that bluing will wear off again. You have to decide if you want the gun as a shooter or as a safe queen (collector). Unless it is a prewar or WW2 version, I don't think it's worth all that much as a collector.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I guess I am grumpy today.....

But unless your refinish expert can re-etch the markings, rebluing that Walther will be bad news. Lugers were all stamped so the marks have some depth, but the acid etched markings are very very shallow any rubbing on them and they disappear - or worse wash out!

That is not to say those fancy big name fellows can't do the job - but I'll wager they will charge more than the value of the pistol for the work.

But a great solution has just sprung to mind. Check out mm6mm6's engraved Walther. Fine work for $300, and Mr. Grouse can probably work around the lettering or if the lettering is already lunched - cut right over it. The result would be fantastic!!!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
If this will be for carry I would stay away from blueing alltogether and get the PPK hardchromed by Ford's or maybe have it NP3'ed.
This, besides making it durable and resistand to holster wear will help keeping it clean.
If you are going to just take it to the range and or keep it in the safe, I would not touch it but just keep it clean so no rust will form where the blueing is gone.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The markings on the left side of your slide are not engraved or roll marked like on older PP or PPK's.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Orlando: Your PPK's "writing" is etched on the slide. It's a process where a template is used to allow acid to "etch" the steel in the form of the writing for a short period of time. This "etches" the information onto the gun.

The process of "roll engraving" is where a metal wheel is "rolled" over the slide with pressure to "roll engrave" the writing there.

"Stamping" is where a metal "stamp" of the writing is pressed onto the slide with high pressure to leave the writing.

All have little faults occasionally. Sometimes etching misses spots. Sometimes roll engraving loses pressure at the beginning or end of the "roll" and the writing appears lighter. Sometimes stamping is crooked or light or too heavy.

Here's a close up of a 1966 PPK with etched lettering:

Here's a pic of the gun with it's original dark brown grips:

Most of the time, guns are more valuable worn than they are reblued or restored. But it depends on what you want the gun for and how much money you want to spend.

A 1st Generation Colt Single Action Army .45 revolver in very worn condition is worth much more in this worn condition that it would ever be re-blued/restored. They are very collectible and quite rare.

Here is a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless I was given for free. It was horrible with an un-shootable rusty bore and Colt made 1.1 million of them so they're not rare. In mint condition they are valuable but this one was junk:

So I bought a new barrel for it ($79) and it fired well. So I had it reblued/restored ($100) and I put a set of bonded ivory Colt medallion grips on it (they were my dad's) and this is how it looked:

The restoration was first rate, but it doesn't make a $179 gun into a $1000 collector's piece. I just wanted it for a shooter and I felt good about bringing a junker back from the dead.

But then I paid $300 for Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ) to engrave it with 75% American Scroll coverage (see reply post-I can't post more than 4 pics in a single post):

I'm very happy with my $479 gun. I could probably sell it for more (but I would never and should never advertise it as anything but a restored and modern engraved gun).

So, back to your PPK....

You could get proper grips for it somewhere or put a set of new black ones on. You could leave it as is or you could have it reblued/restored by a really good professional who wouldn't lose the etched writing on the slide. Or, you could have it satin nickel plated or hard chromed or even satin black hard chromed (would look pretty cool with black grips) if the gun is so far gone that blueing it would look lousy. Plating of any kind can cover up metal discoloration but imperfections in the metal (nicks, dings, rust pitting) will still be obvious.

So then there is engraving to consider. A good engraver could polish the gun to get rid of most nicks and dings. Then deeper marks could be incorporated into the engraving to cover them up.

Here is what Gouse did with my stainless Interarms PPK (circa 1988) for $300...75% coverage American Scroll (see reply post):

I think we'd all like to see a picture of your PPK!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
mm6: Don't get peed at me, but I liked the Colt WITHOUT the engraving better than with it. I think with the smooth blued steel and the ivory grips, it looked....well....breathtaking. My exact thoughts were "holy shit...that can't be the SAME gun!!!"

Acid etching looks pretty nice on that blued Walther, but looks like shit on my stainless S&W PPK. That's my only gripe with the gun. The acid etching literally looks like shit engraved into the slide. I don't know why S&W does such a crappy job of marking the PPK. I have had other acid etched stainless guns that looked quite nice. I remember an AMT Skipper and Hardballer I had with stainless slides and frames, and the acid etching looked really nice on them. Heck, AMT was a pioneer in the acid-etching of firearms. Maybe S&W has to do it the way they do to prevent any kind of tampering being done. Plus acid etching is most likely cheaper than any other kind of marking.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Orlando
they do make brown finger rest extensions for the PPK mags.
I would say that the PPK needs a refinish...... no matter what you are going to use it for.... and if I may give you a idea.
http://www.fordsguns.com/

·
Registered
729 Posts
Orlando: OUCH! That poor little PPK makes me want to cry.

Okay, first things first...even if you paid Doug Turnbull restoration $2000 to bring that gun back to original (which I doubt could be brought back that good, to where it looked perfect again), there wouldn't be much point in it. It will never again have the value of one in 100% original condition.

Yes, you can buy dark brown plastic bottomed magazines. They're going to be expensive though!

If the gun was mine, I would make it a cool looking shooter/carry/self protection gun with total disregard for future monetary value.

I would search the internet for a custom gunsmith who could polish it, heliarc weld a beavertail grip tang onto it, dovetail custom Novak style low profile front and rear sights, slick up the trigger action (since the fire, the springs should all be replaced anyway due to heat exposure) and then have the whole thing satin nickel plated. You'd have a carry gun to be proud of and it would gain back some monetary value that way.

Check out Cylinder & Slide's custom PPK. They could do it for you:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...pk&start=20&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Why would you finish a carry gun in Nickel ????
I would use something that will hold up to holster wear. Hardchrome, NP3 or even have it Melonite treated....that will give it a nice dark grey finish.. almost black and you don't have to worry about rust anymore.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Orlando: OUCH! That poor little PPK makes me want to cry.

If the gun was mine, I would make it a cool looking shooter/carry/self protection gun with total disregard for future monetary value.

I would search the internet for a custom gunsmith who could polish it, heliarc weld a beavertail grip tang onto it, dovetail custom Novak style low profile front and rear sights, slick up the trigger action (since the fire, the springs should all be replaced anyway due to heat exposure) and then have the whole thing satin nickel plated. You'd have a carry gun to be proud of and it would gain back some monetary value that way.
I agree I would make it a shooter. But those mods might get REAL pricey. I would have the springs replaced, get some standard plastic Walther black PPK grips (like on mm6's gun), and have it hard chromed. Hard chrome is one of the most durable finishes you can put on a gun. Leave the sights alone. You rarely use them in gunfights with a gun of this type. Furgetabout monetary value. Carry that baby around and use it when you have too. :D

Dep

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.