Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my PPQ for about 10 days or so but it finally warmed into the 40's today so I figured it was time to hit the range a bit.

The PPQ is my first striker fired handgun, owned lots of DA/SA autos and revolvers, but never really saw any striker guns that appealed to me. Bought this one in anticipation of joining some service pistol matches this year. Never like Glocks so the Walther was the natural choice for me.

Pretty amazed by the trigger, feels much lighter than it is and has a clean, predictable break. It did take some getting used to and I did a couple surprise double taps until I got a feel for it.

Reliability was 100% with 3 types of 115gr and 147gr ammo. Must say I miss the left eject of my P5 as I bounced a few empties off the top of my head with the PPQ. Always thought my P5 was unique in its ability to digest anything without stoppage but the PPQ is its equal so far.

Shot it with iron sights, red dot on a UM Tactical mount, and shot some using the irons with the red dot mount in place. All good but think I was having issues with my recent necessity of shooting with my left eye versus my lifelong right dominant eye. Due to the eye problem, didn't really try and shoot any groups but still kept the shots on target without much effort. Shot enough to know the gun has a lot of accuracy potential I haven't begun to tap into yet.

One surprise was the strength of the magazine springs. Was only loading 5 at a time but took much more effort than my single stack P5 mags. Hate to be a wimp, but if I ever want to use the full 15 or 17 capacity of my mags, I'm going to need a loader.

Best aspect of the gun was the feel in the hand, very comfortable and has a natural point. Recoil and muzzle flip seemed negligible to me, but most of my recent shooting has been with light, big bore revolvers so I may not be especially sensitive to recoil.

Bottom line, glad I bought it, its worth every cent I paid, and I look forward to many more sessions to tap into all its potential.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve put some 5000 rounds through mine In that time i have had one failure to eject due to my 9mm magazine having a .380 in it!

I have no idea what I would replace this gun with it s a similar story with my PPS although that has only about 1500 rounds through and no problems.

I’m starting to believe Walther know how to make firearms!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Gentlemen, I own a number of Qs and have since they were first offered in 2011. During that time I have put many thousands of rounds down range and have subjected my Qs to very extreme training and EDC conditions including exposure to salt water immersion, Florida canal mud, dirt, rain, sand, dust, sweat and the vagaries of daily carry. Heck a few of my Qs have even gone down to 66+ feet in the ocean...

The only failures my Qs have experienced have been those deliberately induced for training purposes.

Feed 'em right. Clean 'em and change the RSAs and springs around every 5000 rounds and they'll out live you...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Had my PPQ for about 10 days or so but it finally warmed into the 40's today so I figured it was time to hit the range a bit.

The PPQ is my first striker fired handgun, owned lots of DA/SA autos and revolvers, but never really saw any striker guns that appealed to me. Bought this one in anticipation of joining some service pistol matches this year. Never like Glocks so the Walther was the natural choice for me.

Pretty amazed by the trigger, feels much lighter than it is and has a clean, predictable break. It did take some getting used to and I did a couple surprise double taps until I got a feel for it.

Reliability was 100% with 3 types of 115gr and 147gr ammo. Must say I miss the left eject of my P5 as I bounced a few empties off the top of my head with the PPQ. Always thought my P5 was unique in its ability to digest anything without stoppage but the PPQ is its equal so far.

Shot it with iron sights, red dot on a UM Tactical mount, and shot some using the irons with the red dot mount in place. All good but think I was having issues with my recent necessity of shooting with my left eye versus my lifelong right dominant eye. Due to the eye problem, didn't really try and shoot any groups but still kept the shots on target without much effort. Shot enough to know the gun has a lot of accuracy potential I haven't begun to tap into yet.

One surprise was the strength of the magazine springs. Was only loading 5 at a time but took much more effort than my single stack P5 mags. Hate to be a wimp, but if I ever want to use the full 15 or 17 capacity of my mags, I'm going to need a loader.

Best aspect of the gun was the feel in the hand, very comfortable and has a natural point. Recoil and muzzle flip seemed negligible to me, but most of my recent shooting has been with light, big bore revolvers so I may not be especially sensitive to recoil.

Bottom line, glad I bought it, its worth every cent I paid, and I look forward to many more sessions to tap into all its potential.
Get an UPULA magazine loader. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Was it bought new? I thought they all came with the mag loader from Walther. My 9mm’s did.

If not, call Walther and tell them to send you one :D

D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was it bought new? I thought they all came with the mag loader from Walther. My 9mm’s did.

If not, call Walther and tell them to send you one :D

D
I bought it used. Could not find anyone with a 5" anywhere around here, at least nobody that wanted to actually sell one. Contacted two local dealers who listed them on their website, albeit at pretty high prices, and neither bothered to respond. Note to dealers....when someone sends you an email that starts with "I want to buy...", its worth 20 seconds of your time to respond.

It was listed as "3 15rd magazines" but when I got it, turned out to be 2 15rd and a 17rd mag. Got the backstraps, paperwork, chamber flag, etc., but no loader. Honestly, wasn't concerned as I never used one in the past. One range session changed my mind on that. No big deal, I'll just buy one.

I may black out the rear sight dots as they seemed more distracting than helpful. May just change them out entirely as I prefer a sight picture with a little less daylight when centering the front post. Factory sights are probably good for speed but less so for precision. My P5 has more of a "U" rear notch with no dots and more closely matches the width of the front sight.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
My Q has been flawless but has been sitting as of late during range trips.

That said, no surprise you are finding what others have known since its inception-- it just plain runs and runs well.

...and change the RSAs and springs around every 5000 rounds and they'll out live you...

OS, do you go factory or aftermarket? Looking to pick a few up and usually keep pistols factory

Reactions: olsoul

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
OS, do you go factory or aftermarket? Looking to pick a few up and usually keep pistols factory
As you know I have some very specific needs so I run Alan's SprinCo RSAs in my 9 mm Qs and a BT guide rod in my Q45 along with TruGo TFX Pro sights on all my Qs, past that everything else is OEM.

I'd suggest to those (unlike you Boogs) who haven't put many hundreds of rounds down range to run your weapon stock to get to know it.

Reactions: Boogs

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
As you know I have some very specific needs so I run Alan's SprinCo RSAs in my 9 mm Qs and a BT guide rod in my Q45 along with TruGo TFX Pro sights on all my Qs, past that everything else is OEM.

I'd suggest to those (unlike you Boogs) who haven't put many hundreds of rounds down range to run your weapon stock to get to know it.
I agree with you other than the sights. If yours comes with those plastic dovetail protectors don't be shy about replacing. It's a given you will.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
I agree with you other than the sights. If yours comes with those plastic dovetail protectors don't be shy about replacing. It's a given you will.
As I said I have very specific needs...I have found the TFX sights afford the best target acquisition during those times when ambient light most closely matches the output of tritium vials...in other words just before dawn and just around dusk. The fiber optics gather extra light and help amplify the sight picture for you.

The TFX are great for belt racking too which is important for me.

If you need an EDC night sight these are well worth consideration.

For those of you like the OP first experiencing the joys of a PPQ you are in for a treat! I still get a thrill shooting any of mine and that is 9 years later and many many thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
...along with TruGo TFX Pro sights on all my Qs.
Love this setup, range down the road sells a set for $170 with install :eek:, but just can't justify them so plastic it is..

That said, very much agree these check the most boxes in the best ways

1 - 12 of 12 Posts