Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my PPS M2 out to shoot for the first time today. Had a good time and put around 200 rounds through it with one puzzling, to me, issue.
Had one instance about halfway through a magazine where I pressed trigger and nothing. Trigger did not reset. Racked slide and unfired cartridge flew out, then back to shooting fine. loaded that cartridge in the next magazine and fired fine.
Any input as to what happened here? Just a fluke? This was the only malfunction of any type today. Pistol was cleaned and lubed prior to shooting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For your thoughts
of 200 ... all the same ? or how much of what ?
how far thru the 200 did it happen ?
Factory ammo or other ?
Any extra marks on the FTF case ? or one before ?

I'd buy the same ammo and try to duplicate . . . .
IF you can't duplicate the happening . . . . .
I'd call it an ammo fluke . . . . . but like any newer pistol . . . monitor all systems !
Clean it, load it and get back in there !

·
Registered
98 Posts
On the FTF, did the slide return to battery? Some shooters have reported failure to return to battery on a new "stiff" pistol, and the frequency tapers off as "break in" progresses. Such experiences have been documented many times in this forum. The search function is your friend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m a Glock guy so here it is, take the slide apart and clean it. If it was a FTF it’ll fix it also check striker spring. Could be the it’s just tight but it could have something in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not saying anyone else reply is incorrect but I would personally give Walther a call, inform them of the issue, and see what they say. Who knows whats causing it but if Walther thinks that this is something serious, they'll let you know. I think they should at least be informed of the issue in case this happens to others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I cleaned and lubed and will get back to the range soon, hopefully. May just be the "newness". I have been shooting for many years and never experienced this before. Experienced malfunctions before, just not this particular one. If it happens again I will be on the phone with Walther. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Enjoy your new PPS. If you have a FTF, stop and look to see if the slide is completely forward (any misalignment with the frame in the rear) and if it appears misaligned you can tap the rear and see if it seats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The M2 is more accurate and has a better out-of-the-box trigger than any of the Shields I've shot. I like my Shield, but it needed an Apex kit to improve the trigger. Of course, now it has a great trigger and, for a small pistol, it's accurate enough for me. I like the texture of the M2 grip better than the smooth surface of the Shield. The mag release button is lower profile on the M2, but easy to activate. We're talking small differences here. Because you're "mostly satisfied", you should shoot one before you flip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first concern would be that you had a squib load. What type of ammo are you using. Ammo companies are cranking out ammo so fast that quality control has taken a hit. If you can find a primer that’s been inserted backwards in Speer Lawman ammo, then it’ll happen to any company out there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
LonChaney . . . . by definition a squib load is one that fires and the projectile doesn't exit the barrel. There was no squib here.

there may have been a " low charge " on one that didn't cock the trigger for the next round. when he pulled the trigger he says it didn't fire (not cocked), no trigger action.
He cleared / ejected that round and released slide to put the next into battery and it fired. Reloaded the previous suspect round and it also fired.

Had two low charge this year from factory ammo / 9mm 124grn & .308 149grn ........
luck on the 308 as it was a 16" barrel, considered short. And the round made
it about 1/2 way to the 50 yd target and kicked up dust.

Clean & lube . . . and shoot it again ! Doggie85 ! new gun, new ammo and a hiccup !

·
Registered
34 Posts
I missed the line where he said he fired it after running the slide and reloading it, so disregard my concern. If it chambered a new round it definitely would have reset the striker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was shooting Aguila 124 grain. Not my usual brand of ammo but a buddy sold his pistols and gifted me his assorted ammo. Gotta love free ammo.
I am thinking and hoping it was just a simple case of new gun, new ammo and a hiccup. Thanks again to all for the input!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Snuck off to the range this morning and three more instances of the same thing. Different ammo this time and no indication of a light strike.
What happens is cartridge ejects and next round is in chamber but trigger stays fully back. Rack slide and live round ejects and all is good until it does the same thing. Happened with two different magazines, twice it was the last round of both the six round and seven round mags and once in the middle of seven round mag.
This makes four times within approximately 300 rounds through this pistol. I have never had a pistol do this and I am definitely open to anyone's advice and/or experience with this issue. I guess I will contact Walther and seek their input as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Curious if you see any strike or peening on the barrel? Maybe there’s a correlation? Definitely agree with the others about Walther CS. Let us know what they say.

Reactions: Doogie85

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious if you see any strike or peening on the barrel? Maybe there’s a correlation? Definitely agree with the others about Walther CS. Let us know what they say.
Nothing. Looked everything over and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Sent Email to customer service and will see what they come up with.
Guess I been spoiled with no issues with my other Walther's. I will remain confident that this will be resolved successfully. First interaction with Walther CS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Snuck off to the range this morning and three more instances of the same thing. Different ammo this time and no indication of a light strike.
What happens is cartridge ejects and next round is in chamber but trigger stays fully back. Rack slide and live round ejects and all is good until it does the same thing. Happened with two different magazines, twice it was the last round of both the six round and seven round mags and once in the middle of seven round mag.
This makes four times within approximately 300 rounds through this pistol. I have never had a pistol do this and I am definitely open to anyone's advice and/or experience with this issue. I guess I will contact Walther and seek their input as well.
Good ~ well bad..... but you got it too repeat the issue !
So ya do an email or call to CS and what you put here just cut and paste to them. And if its your only pistol and EDC let them know, I don't think it is
but was giving you an excuse (reminder) if it was go get another of something:D ya never have enough !
Let em do their thing and it should come back all sweet.
And keep us posted on return and next range trip.

Q ?... how was the trigger pull and reset on it ? ? ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good ~ well bad..... but you got it too repeat the issue !
So ya do an eamil or call to CS and what you put here just cut and paste to them. And if its your only pistol and EDC let them know, I don't think it is
but was giving you an excuse (reminder) if it was go get another of something:D ya never have enough !
Let em do their thing and it should come back all sweet.
And keep us posted on return and next range trip.

Q ?... how was the trigger pull and reset on it ? ? ?
I am actually quite pleased with trigger pull and reset especially after reading of some issues with this on some PPS M2's. No issues with this. Emailed CS and will hear from them soon hopefully.
This is my maiden voyage with CS but I expect they will make it right and then I will have another fine Walther pistol. Will update my experience as it unfolds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi @doogie85 , so how did you make out with Walther CS? I have the same gun, bought it brand new a week ago, cleaned it, etc and had the exact same issue you describe. 4 failures with the first 75 rounds 115 gr. Puzzled and not trusting the gun with my life at this point. Please share what CS has to say. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.