Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of us who have found ourselves in the unfortunate situation of having drawn a gun to either actually shoot at someone or aim at someone during the evening hours absent stadium lighting will know the feeling: "Man, I wish I could see what the heck I'm aiming at." (Yes, folks, I swear that's exactly what I was saying. Don't you believe me? ;) )

For some, it occurs in a home defense situation - for some, a self-defense situation - for others, like mine, a military situation. And, no matter what anyone tells you, a Starlight scope mounted on an M-16 is NOT adequate aiming assistance!

My early Christmas present to myself, courtesy of the Cabela's Veterans Day discount and some unused Cabela's points is a Veridian C5L light/laser combo. It mounts nicely on my PPS, except it obviously wouldn't find into my Comp-Tac MTAC. I emailed them, and several other holster makers, and received a resounding "No Such Luck", universally. Though there was one vendor here on the Walther Forums that said he could do it if I'd send him my laser and be patient. Ummm.... no offense to that vendor, but that didn't really interest me.

Along came a mention of White Hat Holsters. They're in Arlington, Texas, just halfway between Fort Worth, where I live, and Dallas. A quick look at their web site showed promise, so off go the electrons in an email saying "Can ya do it"? Literally within 2 minutes, my phone range (I had included it in the email). It was Tony, the owner of White Hat saying "Sure, we can do that! And, we should have it ready in 3 or 4 days max." It did take the 4 days, but only because I was beat when I got home on Friday and didn't feel like driving over to Arlington then. But, I did, today, and here's what I got back - for the regular price of $69.95, mind you.

WhiteHatholster1.jpg

The holster I got was backed by horsehide. In a manner well known by most hybrid manufacturer's products, it features two metal clips outboard, and a Kydex "scabbard" in the middle. White Hat sells different scabbards for $20 each, by the way, and Tony mentioned that they'll have their Kydex and Velcro clips ready to go soon, hopefully.

WhiteHatholster2.jpg

WhiteHatholster4.jpg

And just to show you how it fits the pistol/light/laser combo....

WhiteHatholster5.jpg

This is the resulting business end when the pistol is seated in the holster. No problems with movement or inability to hold the contraption. I wore it for a few hours today after getting everything back together, and it was, maybe just a smidgen little more comfortable than my MTAC... or maybe that's my imagination being so pleased with a pistol/laser/light combo that I really wanted for my EDC carry rig.

WhiteHatholster6.jpg

Tony said they were thinking real-hard about getting a C5L light/laser to use to fit to the various guns they make holsters for. I think mine might have been the first one he got to play with, and he seemed to be very impressed with the kit. And we did talk about the fact that thee's more than one Walther PPS owner itching to find a holster for that laser... make your views on that known to Tony if you want it, or want something else.

The kit comes with an extra pair of Chicago-style black nuts/screws, and an instruction sheet detailing care, including self-resizing, or the offer to re-size for the cost of postage to get it back to you. White Hat Holsters has a 2-week trial period with money-back guarantee, plus a lifetime warranty on workmanship/materials (except abuse, of course).

White House Holsters
White Hat Holsters

PS: I didn't receive any compensation, except for this great holster that I paid list price, for this review.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
That's an impressive story; thanks for sharing. It should serve the laser-and-lights crowd very well, indeed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
+1 on the review.

I had a question about retention. It looks like the six screws used put the kydex directly onto the leather. Is there no way to control retention? This would keep me from getting this holster.

This looks like my only questions, everything else looks good to go....Adjustable cant, metal clips, great price, turnaround time.....solid product it seems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Like the crossbreed, and other kydex, it seems you just heat up the kydex for more retention. I think you just get the kydex a little wet and then take a blow-dryer to it, The heating part, IIRC, should be done with the gun in the kydex so it can mold to the gun

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a question about retention. It looks like the six screws used put the kydex directly onto the leather. Is there no way to control retention? This would keep me from getting this holster.

Like WB mentioned, your friendly hair dryer is your tool for adjusting retention, if you want to do-it-yourself. Or, as mentioned in the review, they'll adjust the retention for you for the price of return postage. They'll probbly just use a bigger hair dryer! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
+1 on the review.

This looks like my only questions, everything else looks good to go....Adjustable cant, metal clips, great price, turnaround time.....solid product it seems.

Thanks!

WhiteHatHolsters's Channel - YouTube Scroll to 4:00 minute marker :) This should address the retention concern that you have.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks guys for the info, and the link, but no it does not address the concern.I understand it has natural tension and you can blow dry your holster kydex, etc. etc etc....First, I am not blow drying my kydex. I shouldn't have to and being that there are people here that think it is normal, we can go on a circular argument about that forever.

Maybe I'm weird, but any holster I have used to this point, IWB and OWB, there has been an inherent design in the holster to adjust tension; not having to alter the original product. Most I've had, there are rubber grommets that are around atleast 1 screw that can be adjusted for tension.

Anyway, not doubting the quality of the holster, everything looked good to go. Everyone has different preferences and that is why we all buy different holsters. With other options on the market that do have the feature I want, I would be hard pressed to invest in this one. Doesn't mean it isn't quality.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kydex holsters (those without adjustment screws) are made to be on the loose side. I guess I get the convenience of not having to do that but among kydex holsters it is common practice....it isn't as back-yard, ghetto-rigged as it sounds.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Whitebrad - I understand, but disagree. Just a different school of thought. And my comments about it aren't restricted to this holster, but the practice in general.

n5wd - Also, I just noticed this in your pictures and the video link I was sent to. Your chicago screws/rivets are in different location on the left side of the kydex(if you are holding the holster and looking at it) than the holsters in the video.

I can understand why they might have to move the screw location due to accommodating the light, but does that mean your holster is not interchangeable with other kydex shells...? The only way I can think of still making it interchangeable is by adding extra holes, or maybe having the same pattern for all shells with lights. Even then, it isn't fully compatible with shells for guns and no lights.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
n5wd - Also, I just noticed this in your pictures and the video link I was sent to. Your chicago screws/rivets are in different location on the left side of the kydex(if you are holding the holster and looking at it) than the holsters in the video.

I can understand why they might have to move the screw location due to accommodating the light, but does that mean your holster is not interchangeable with other kydex shells...? The only way I can think of still making it interchangeable is by adding extra holes, or maybe having the same pattern for all shells with lights. Even then, it isn't fully compatible with shells for guns and no lights.
I assume you're right about that, though that's something I didn't ask Tony - and to be truthful, it's something that never even crossed my horizon. After all, we've got a 12 year old Dodge Durango that still runs well out front - I would still be using my Motorola Star-Tac if PrimeCo, err.. Verizon would be supporting it, and plan on keeping my Walther PPS with the C5L as a primary EDC for quite a while. I don't go chasing the lastest thing, so.. yeah, it's probably un-interchangeable (as is) without punching a couple of holes in the horsehide, but if that needs to be done, I know how to do it.

Now, back to your question about retention. Lemme put it this way. I paid over $100 for an MTAC with the rubber-grommet tension adjustments that you're fond of (including an extra pair of Kydex clips). It also double-covers the backside of the holster where the T-nuts reside, so they don't poke into you. It's a very nice holster, and it was comfortable for me to use.

White Hat uses a different style nut/screw so that you don't get poked, and doesn't double-cover the backside - they also don't have the rubber grommet retention adjustment you want. The holster is also $69.95, and they custom fit my light/laser combo whereas Comp-Tac, even when I offered to drive almost 400 miles down to their production facility so that they could use MY light, told me to take a hike.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used MTAC? ;)

Wayne

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whitebrad - I understand, but disagree. Just a different school of thought. And my comments about it aren't restricted to this holster, but the practice in general.

All I have to say is if you are not satisfied with the purchase you can return it to them. I think you just need to "try" the product before you commit to the product you are about 85% sold from what I'm reading.

Goodluck in your search!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Howdy y'all. This is Tony from White Hat Holsters. This thread popped up in my email today. Glad to see the spirited discussion and thought I might be able to shed some light here. The retention for this particular holster with the laser is not going to be adjustable for retention using the hairdryer on the trigger guard method because there is spacing all the way through for the laser to clear the kydex, so you can’t see the trigger guard in the mold at all. The retention adjustment would need to be along the bottom of the laser. Perhaps a slight indentation in the kydex would hold it more snug. We do try to keep retention reasonable to keep the firearm secure while still being able to draw the weapon quickly.

Although we did add an additional hole for the laser, the only difference is the one bottom left screw. The other hole is still there under the laser, so this rig would still be interchangeable with other kydex pieces.

Thanks for the positive review Wayne. I am glad we could get this done for you and you are enjoying it so far. FYI, we will have the Walther PK380 and the PPQ available very soon (next 2 weeks or so). And I did contact Viridian today to get a model for the C5 and C5L lasers. :)

If I can answer any other questions for y'all out there please feel free to call or email us any time. God Bless... Be safe!

Tony :)
817-381-2111
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks for the insight, Tony; we are glad to have you on board and hope that you'll hang around and participate for a long time to come. We also appreciate the new holster for the PPS. you might want to take a look at the new PPQ, which is getting rave reviews and lots of customer interest.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Although we did add an additional hole for the laser, the only difference is the one bottom left screw. The other hole is still there under the laser, so this rig would still be interchangeable with other kydex pieces.
+1 thanks for the info! Definitely a big deal for someone who is looking to change out shells.

Have you seen if the extra hole has any impact on moisture getting through the leather? Mainly asking because the hole would be near the light or laser, meaning that electronics could be potentially exposed to moisture....not exactly optimal. But maybe a tradeoff for someone who still wants the flexibilty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the insight, Tony; we are glad to have you on board and hope that you'll hang around and participate for a long time to come. We also appreciate the new holster for the PPS. you might want to take a look at the new PPQ, which is getting rave reviews and lots of customer interest.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am glad to help in any way I can and I will definitely be hanging around. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reply from White Hat

+1 thanks for the info! Definitely a big deal for someone who is looking to change out shells.

Have you seen if the extra hole has any impact on moisture getting through the leather? Mainly asking because the hole would be near the light or laser, meaning that electronics could be potentially exposed to moisture....not exactly optimal. But maybe a tradeoff for someone who still wants the flexibilty.
I have not seen that be a problem yet. I would imagne that there would need to be quite a bit of moisture to penetrate the hole without he leather absorbing some first. I will do my best to quality test this over the next couple weeks. Thanks for the insight! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome Tony! I am impressed with your products. Any thought of an OWB holster in the future?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, Tony! Glad you got the link - and like I said, I think you'll find a good bunch of folks, here!

Welcome!

Wayne

1 - 20 of 23 Posts