Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a lot to report. It lasted 5 rounds. Round 6 jammed the gun up bad enough with a live round in the chamber and 1/4" out of battery. I just put it aside and moved on to my CZs.

Got it home, used the heal of my hand to force it into battery enough that I could get the slide to release and then removed spring and barrel and tapped the offending round out of the breach.

My indoor range only permits lead bullets, I had a few on hand (10?) and went to a local place that sells reloaded lead rounds. #6 was the culprit. I have never seen a case as deformed as this one; it went fat skinny fat bullet. So an out of spec round caused the jamb.

I do realize that the trigger is going to take some getting used to. I had been dry firing from double action with a laser point round. That single action is by far the lightest trigger from a pistol I have ever fired. So I got lots of work to do with practice with that. It actually sort of startled me the first few rounds in single action.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I never shoot reloads except in revolvers. The ranges I go to do not permit reloads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean no FMJ or hollow points ? Just bare lead ?
Yes those are the posted rules for the indoor range. Lead bullets only. It caught me a little off guard as I have thousands of rounds of factory jacketed 9mm, but had almost no lead nose.

Decent range, open 24/7, pass key provided upon joining. I bought my ammo from a local company called Mastercast, they supply a lot of ammo to local PD as practice ammo. If you are a reloader, you might of heard of Mastercast components.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Is what they really mean by "lead" bullet no steel core, AP rounds?

I have never heard of a range that banned FMJ projectiles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is what they really mean by "lead" bullet no steel core, AP rounds?

I have never heard of a range that banned FMJ projectiles.
Rules state no jackets or magnum rounds. I take that to mean the lead roundnose commonly found as reloads etc. I know it takes more frequent cleaning to get/keep the lead out of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just to give you some comparison, NONE of the ranges in NE Ohio that I am aware of require exclusive use of lead bulleted ammo. ALL allow suitable jacketed, lead core ammo, as normally loaded by ammo production factories. MOST allow any pistol level reloads with jacketed or lead bullets. Your range sucks for that reason. I hope you find access to a better range.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I never even heard of such a rule. I guess they don't like Glock owners? My local range lets you shoot anything up to .308, as long as it isn't steel core, tracer, HE...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be an arrangement they have for periodic lead removal from the bullet traps. Some recyclers will cut th3m a deal on removing it if it isn’t mixed with other metals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simply because no one never heard of such a thing, is meaningless. Perhaps you never asked or your local club has never had a problem arise. For all I know this could be a requirement by our insurance carrier. The club has a reason for it and I will find out.

When you find a club that is:
-12 minutes from your house
-24/7 access to the entire facility
-has over a $1 million in endowment
-unrestricted(with the exception of using LRN indoors) usage at my discretion
-indoor range fully lighted(or not) and ventilated 60' x 30' room
-$40 a year, no range fee, no "got to buy our ammo" fee bs etc
-outdoor rifle, shotgun/trap, pistol range
You let me know.

It is not a nanny range. Shoot and move, engage multiple targets, etc. Practice, train and be safe. That is my reason for going.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I guess there is something for everyone, and a different range for different tastes. I shoot what I want, in my back yard. I only shoot during daylight hours to give my neighbors a break from the noise. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My indoor range only permits lead bullets, I had a few on hand (10?) and went to a local place that sells reloaded lead rounds. #6 was the culprit. I have never seen a case as deformed as this one; it went fat skinny fat bullet. So an out of spec round caused the jamb. .
Maybe I should have been clearer, I do not shoot reloads or store bought reloads for that reason. I do not have any problems with “new” ammo in semi- autos.

HHPIN is correct!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Could be an arrangement they have for periodic lead removal from the bullet traps. Some recyclers will cut th3m a deal on removing it if it isn’t mixed with other metals.
Such an explanation seems the most plausible. ;-)
And yet, this is the reluctance of the owner of the shooting range to splurge on better bullet traps.

In any case, greedy hucksters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Such an explanation seems the most plausible. ;-)
And yet, this is the reluctance of the owner of the shooting range to splurge on better bullet traps.

In any case, greedy hucksters.
There is no "owner". there is a board of Directors, President Secretary, Treasurer etc. The monthly meetings, improvements to the club property that is probably 60 years old are voted on by the membership. No one person or group of persons are proffitting from the clubs operation. All expenditures are voted upon. The $1million endowment, applications must be submitted to obtain any of that money. The club gets about $2000 a month for operating expenses to pay the bills and keep the lights on.

Greedy hucksters....another example of HUA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pardon.
The greedy poor.
Question only
greedy because the poor
or poor because greedy?..
For some reason, I think that if there were fewer stupid restrictions, then on membership fees, subscriptions and one-time visits, they could earn more than lead...

PS Of course, the reloading-business of someone’s nephew can suffer from this... :)

PPS And who is this "HUA"?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't have a lot to report. It lasted 5 rounds. Round 6 jammed the gun up bad enough with a live round in the chamber and 1/4" out of battery. I just put it aside and moved on to my CZs.

Got it home, used the heal of my hand to force it into battery enough that I could get the slide to release and then removed spring and barrel and tapped the offending round out of the breach.

My indoor range only permits lead bullets, I had a few on hand (10?) and went to a local place that sells reloaded lead rounds. #6 was the culprit. I have never seen a case as deformed as this one; it went fat skinny fat bullet. So an out of spec round caused the jamb.

I do realize that the trigger is going to take some getting used to. I had been dry firing from double action with a laser point round. That single action is by far the lightest trigger from a pistol I have ever fired. So I got lots of work to do with practice with that. It actually sort of startled me the first few rounds in single action.

You have experience some of the same problems I have with my P99. As I posted about a month or so ago the Walther P99 has a tight chamber, not as tight as my P88 put close. You can shoot lead bullets but if they are hand loads there can be no pressure ridge around the lower base of the cartridge case or the gun will jam up tight. My jams were so tight I had to take a wooden dowel and put it down the barrel and tap the round out by moving the slide back (not recommended you can shoot your hand off) but I had no choice. It was that or send it back to Walther. As I mentioned before my H&K P30 eats up just about any ammo I put in it and even digested the same ammo that jammed up my P99.

You also mentioned double action shooting. I had my P99 out about 2 weeks ago during a break in the weather and trying to hit anything beyond 7 yards was problematic and even then the target had to be big. If you were in a hostage situation you could never use this gun in its double action mode no matter how close you were. I think Walther really made and continues to make a royal screw up by not adding on a manual safety which would allow one to carry the gun in the single action mode. Because I cannot carry this gun in single action I would not carry it unless I had no other gun available. One could carry the P99 Israeli style with the chamber empty and then rack the slide quickly in a bad situation providing both hands were free and uninjured.

I asked myself and continue to ask myself why I like the P99? I guess for several reasons, one is that it feels good in the hand and points naturally and is a very accurate handgun and very reliable if quality ammo is used. As I have said before I would never trust steel cased or aluminum cased ammo in this gun because of the very tight chamber. Last summer a fellow shooter jammed up his gun (which was not a Walther but another plasticky striker fired gun, I cannot recall which brand but If I remember correctly it was either a Taurus or Ruger and he was using aluminum cased ammo. Luckily his round fired off but the empty case stuck in the chamber so there was no danger when I drove out the stuck aluminum case with a wooden dowel rod. I told him to take that aluminum cased ammo and bury it in a deep dark hole.

Post script: When I went out several weeks ago I also fired my P88 as well as my P99 and a rotary barrel French MAB 9x19 PA-15 and a Glock 17. You will never guess which one shot the most accurately that day with cast bullets. It was the Glock which had a heavier trigger and a creepy one despite my installing a Glockmeister Trigger system in it. It has the factory Glock Barrel in it. So much for the bullcrap that factory Glock barrels are inaccurate with cast bullets and if you use lead bullets on the first round fired you will disappear in an atomic explosion and a red puff of mist. Now this great Glock accuracy with cast bullets is painful for me to admit since I hate Glocks with a passion but the truth is the truth and also I might add that the Glock 19 remains the most popular carry pistol on the planet and yes I have Glock 19 but with a manual safety installed , I would never carry a Glock without a manual safety.

One good thing about the P99 and the Glocks, they are repetitively low in cost, they have spare parts available, and they can shoot a lot of rounds before they need rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts