Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally took out my brand new P99 in 9mm over the weekend. Put about 400 rounds of Winchester whitebox through it and had a great time. I was switching back and forth between the medium and large size grip. Though the medium one seems to feel the most comfortable it almost seems like I shoot a little better with the large one installed.

Now, the range I was at only has 25m, 50m and then 75m separations for targets so I had to start out at 25 and was doing pretty good with factory sights the first day. However, towards the end (and all of the next day) I was shooting way left. I thought it had to be me but eventually adjusted the sights. Only after getting them way over to the right, did I hit center again. I found an old thread on the board (entitled SIGHT QUESTIONS) which discussed the same problem with a few other members. Considering this is my first handgun I think operator error is certainly not out of the question (even though I was benchresting to adjust the sights)

Following the advice on the previously mentioned post I removed the front sight and took a look at the hole and it is indeed about .015 inches closer to the left. Do you think this is responsible for my shooting left?
Anybody have information/experience/tips on this?

My factory target has 1 round straight on center with 4 others within 2.4 inches of each other, roughly around that shot. Unfortunately, I messed with the sights before checking their position from the factory.

On that note, how accurate are your P99s? What groups are you getting around 25m?

Either way, I still love the feel, look, and reliability (only one failure with some bad ammo).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my P99 (40) out for our IPSC match this Saturday and was quite pleased with it. It's my second one (sold my first last December and have been kicking myself ever since!). I hadn't shot it yet and was concerned as to how it would do. I normally shoot a Glock 23 and I can tell you that I did better with the Walther on it's first time out than I have ever done with my Glock (which I have to admit breaks my heart in a way).

It took a stage or two to get used to the trigger, but I have never had more "A" zone shots before. I found that I did not need to adjust my sights whatsoever (I was shooting PMC 165 FMJ's). I'm curious to know whether this sight issue is indicative of the 9's.

I have as yet to see what kind of groups it produces, but after the match, I'd say that it is pretty much dead-on.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
AVO,

A front sight too far over to the left would put you shot placement to the right. I tend to shoot low and to the left now and then. Not the gun though. Trigger control. My P99-40 can make a group about 2.75in if I do my part right

·
Registered
39 Posts
AVO: I also own a P99 chambered in 9mm.

I don't know what the ultimate accuracy of the P99 is, but I can often shoot about 3" groups offhand at 25 yards (23 meters).

Granted that is with slow controlled shots (about one shot every 7 seconds) and much concentration... I'm still working on getting better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts