Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for years. About 4-5 years ago I got back into the firearm thing having been away from it for a long time. Joined here to find out more about the PPKs. I always wanted one but they are nonexistent where I live. When people talk about the abundance of used ones, I am jealous.

First I will tell you what I am not:

-Not a concealed carry person. Where I live, carry (never mind concealed carry) does not exist. The state will not give anyone except politically connected people like politicians and judges carry permits. The rest of us can go pound salt. If I was going to carry - I would probably buy a polymer gun, but that won't ever happen.

-Not a historical collector. I buy guns because I like them, thats it. I appreciate the history behind them but will not be buying a $15000 Nazi era pistol with matching belt.

-Not a hoarder collector. I have seen the guys hoarding one particular type of gun having dozens of them. Thats not me either.

I do like true polished bluing on guns as well as the nickel/stainless thing. I have a Beretta 85FS Cheetah in nickel that is dazzling.

I am aware of the history of the PPK and all the different companies/places that have made them. For me the PPK will be an itch I have wanted to scratch and a shooter. I know that some people hate the beaver tail and finish on the new Ft. Smith ones.

So let me ask you guys a basic question - if were only guying to buy just one, which one would it be? And why?

Keep in mind I will shoot it and never ever carry it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everyone's going to tell you to buy an older 32acp / 7.65mm German-made one if you can afford it. There's a reason they're the most expensive of the PPKs. If you can only buy one, that's certainly the one to get.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
OP, do you live in the Glorious Demokratik People’s Republik of New Jerzistan??? Judas Priest on a Pony, the way you talk about only the connected getting a permit and only being ”ALLOWED” to buy one pistol... I feel for you, I really do.

I had a stainless steel S&W Contract PPK in 380. Really enjoyed that little gun. Was definitely a shooter. Affordable, too, as is the ammo. With how modern ammo is made, and the advancements in it, 380 would be a viable home defense option, too. With the right rounds in it.

You get a neat “historical” piece, in that it is a historic design. But you don’t shell out the clams on something with hysterically high price tag to boot.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
Ideally, a Ranger/Interarms stainless; .32 would be nice, but .380s are more common.
This is assuming that spending big bucks isn't your plan.
If wonderful blue is your desire, then an import is pretty much your only choice, and now we are talking big bucks.
Moon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, do you live in the Glorious Demokratik People’s Republik of New Jerzistan??? Judas Priest on a Pony, the way you talk about only the connected getting a permit and only being ”ALLOWED” to buy one pistol... I feel for you, I really do.

I had a stainless steel S&W Contract PPK in 380. Really enjoyed that little gun. Was definitely a shooter. Affordable, too, as is the ammo. With how modern ammo is made, and the advancements in it, 380 would be a viable home defense option, too. With the right rounds in it.

You get a neat “historical” piece, in that it is a historic design. But you don’t shell out the clams on something with hysterically high price tag to boot.
Yes I do live in the Glorious Democratic People’s Republic of New Jerzistan with our current glorious dictator Governor Toothy Phil Murphy. So you know the drill - one pistol every 30 days with a separate permit for each and every pistol you buy. How did you know? :mad::mad: I recently got a few permits approved only the other day after waiting for months.

I am leaning toward the 380 ones. I already have one 380 pistol (Beretta 85FS Inox). Ideally I would like to stay around $1K +/-. I could go as high as $1500 but would prefer not too. I realize the hard core collectors have driven up the prices on certain ones. I have seen the ones going for $5000+ because its got Nazi markings. I don't need anything historic, I just like the design.

The new ones made in Ft. Smith appeal to me as they are new and have a warranty. Not sure about the finish on the black ones - looks like they are parkerized or something as opposed to blue polish.

I just want a nice gun.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Everyone's going to tell you to buy an older 32acp / 7.65mm German-made one if you can afford it.
Perhaps not everyone but me. A German or French/German Walther or Manurhin chambered in 7,65mm will match your desire. It's up to you to chose a PP, PPK or PPK/S. I personally would prefer a 'real' PPK.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
That might be doable with a $1500 max; while you're at it, go for a .32. Post a 'want to buy' here, haunt gunshops and Gun(makes you)broker, and have a look at Earls.
How does this work; must you have a permit in hand to buy, or buy and then obtain the permit?
This all has to be a real hindrance to the bangers in Newark. :(
Moon

Reactions: BornFighting88

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input and tips. Thats a great idea about 'want to buy" and the other sources. I am not familiar with Earls but will do reading.

The gun shops here are usually a waste of time for used guns. They don't have tons of used handguns here because of the laws. People don't sell here much because its a huge hassle to buy another handgun, so they keep what they have.

Where I live there are two things that you must have - the first is a FID (firearms identification card) which is a permit that allows you to purchase buy firearms. If you don't have the FID you can't buy ANYTHING. The FID allows you to buy long guns (rifles, shotguns) and handguns.

On top of this there is a separate pistol purchase permit. You must get one permit per pistol. The permits are only good for 90 days and can be extended for another 90 days for a total of 180 days. If you don't use the permit, it expires. Than you get to go back the beginning and start over completely. Change of address = starting the process all over again.

The process to get a pistol permit is the same as getting a FID:

-Finger printing
-Criminal background check
-Mental health check
-Personal references check
-Employment check

The permits are issued by towns and state police. When I did it the first time it took me 8 months to get the permits. This time because I was in a different town it only took 2 months for an address change.

I can buy handguns and long guns online and they will go to the FFL where I live. Same as anywhere else. But unless you have the FID and/or handgun permit they will not transfer it to you.

Many shops will not allow it to be shipped to them unless you have the FID/handgun permit already. They don't want to store the inventory because they can end up holding the item for MONTHS. I can't blame them. Some sellers are willing to hold the item till you have the permits. I already have my permits in hand so am good to go.

This is what is "the normal" where I live. For people that buy guns illegally this is all meaningless. Gangbangers in Newark, Camden and other places give 2 bits about this.

On top of this there are some things that are outright illegal to own here - magazines above 10 rounds and a bunch of rifles that they have classified as "assault rifles" and that includes semi-auto shotguns with pistol grips.

People should be afraid because this is what they want to do to the rest of the country. Just saying....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Earl is a gunsmith and retail seller of components. He is old school honest and will always thank you for your business. I recently bought some ppq m2 magazines from him. When he retires, the loss will be irreparable.

Like you, I live in a state of contrasts. Here in Seattle, reason left the building for many though I suspect the majority are still what would pass for normal. I find myself living in a country whose younger generations I no longer understand, but perhaps that is the way of things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my PPKs, especially in .32 and .22. However I think the best shooter is the PP in .32. For the amount you mentioned you could find an amazing one!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
OP, I got kicked out of the Bass Pro in Atlantic City when I asked to see a pistol in the case, and they asked for legit three different types of “Jersey approved ID” to even TOUCH the stupid thing. I needed an FID, Jersey license, and my permit.

I looked like a deer in headlights. I said, “Free Citizen out of PA, here is my carry permit and my drivers license, will that work for you??...”. This biddy just goes ape dirt... “Sir!!!! Sir!!!!! We have clear rules for you to even touch this pistol!!!! You must have a Jersey resident with you and you can only look!!!”

After I told her she needed to calm down, was looking to just have a look and get a feel for it...

Immediately asks me to leave the store, I was furious. I like Cabela’s and all, but if I could go without ever going into either one again, I think I might avoid them completely.

I digress, sorry to derail the post, but Comrade Murphy is a tool. People get stupider for even listening to him when he talks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP, I got kicked out of the Bass Pro in Atlantic City when I asked to see a pistol in the case, and they asked for legit three different types of “Jersey approved ID” to even TOUCH the stupid thing. I needed an FID, Jersey license, and my permit.

I looked like a deer in headlights. I said, “Free Citizen out of PA, here is my carry permit and my drivers license, will that work for you??...”. This biddy just goes ape dirt... “Sir!!!! Sir!!!!! We have clear rules for you to even touch this pistol!!!! You must have a Jersey resident with you and you can only look!!!”

After I told her she needed to calm down, was looking to just have a look and get a feel for it...

Immediately asks me to leave the store, I was furious. I like Cabela’s and all, but if I could go without ever going into either one again, I think I might avoid them completely.

I digress, sorry to derail the post, but Comrade Murphy is a tool. People get stupider for even listening to him when he talks.
Comrade Toothy Murphy is a lot more than just a tool... but thats a whole other discussion.

I am aggressively looking now as my pistol permits have a time clock on them.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
And if your permits expire before you find what you want, you'll have to restart the process?
Ye saints and little fishes...
Moon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And if your permits expire before you find what you want, you'll have to restart the process?
Ye saints and little fishes...
Moon
Yes. The initial time limit of the permits is good for just 90 days. They can be extended one time for another 90 days but you have to take them back and get them signed. That usually takes a week or two.

There is another gotcha though - you can only buy one handgun every 30 days. So say I bought one yesterday, I have to wait 30 days starting today.

Recently I got 3 permits. Because of the timing I am going to have to take one back and get it signed because it will expire before I can use it.

This state SUCKS.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Handle a PPK and a PPK/S (or a PP) and see which one fits your mitts better. I initially got a .380 Ranger/Interarms PPK and never found a comfortable way to hold that rappy little bugger, and I moved on to the PP and PPK/S for the better hand feel (to me). I do miss the stainless; none of the German Walther or French Manurhin were built in stainless, so my “replacement” for my first .380 is the Manurhin PPK/S in the brushed hard chrome finish that they called Durgarde. The .32 is much more pleasant to shoot than .380 in the PP-series pistols, and .22 is sublime. I have no use for the beavertail that S&W introduced and that Walther USA has retained - it ruins the classic silhouette of the original design, IMO, and I have never experienced the dreaded Walther love bites that some people say the beavertail eliminates. My $0.02

·
Registered
303 Posts
Been lurking here for years. About 4-5 years ago I got back into the firearm thing having been away from it for a long time. Joined here to find out more about the PPKs. I always wanted one but they are nonexistent where I live. When people talk about the abundance of used ones, I am jealous.

First I will tell you what I am not:

-Not a concealed carry person. Where I live, carry (never mind concealed carry) does not exist. The state will not give anyone except politically connected people like politicians and judges carry permits. The rest of us can go pound salt. If I was going to carry - I would probably buy a polymer gun, but that won't ever happen.

-Not a historical collector. I buy guns because I like them, thats it. I appreciate the history behind them but will not be buying a $15000 Nazi era pistol with matching belt.

-Not a hoarder collector. I have seen the guys hoarding one particular type of gun having dozens of them. Thats not me either.

I do like true polished bluing on guns as well as the nickel/stainless thing. I have a Beretta 85FS Cheetah in nickel that is dazzling.

I am aware of the history of the PPK and all the different companies/places that have made them. For me the PPK will be an itch I have wanted to scratch and a shooter. I know that some people hate the beaver tail and finish on the new Ft. Smith ones.

So let me ask you guys a basic question - if were only guying to buy just one, which one would it be? And why?

Keep in mind I will shoot it and never ever carry it.
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider a Manurhin PP if you want to keep the costs down. They're readily available in .32ACP.
Agreed... I got a police surplus Manurhin PP in .32 cheap off Gunbroker. Swapped most of the springs (minus the magazine release and trigger guard springs... being I ran out of patients), but plan on refinishing it for a truck gun. I might have LaRocca out of MA do work on it, but still up in the air. Usually have a gun on me (Federal L/E up in ME), but in case I forget for some off reason, going to leave it, holster, and two magazines in a pouch inside the console vault.

OP, stinks to hear you are in NJ. I got out about a year back. It used to be not as bad, but even gun guys are rolling over, saying everything is illegal. When I was down there, got my C&R... and purchased handguns at the PA Oaks gun show on it (was good per ATF). Another person was looking to get his, and ATF and the NJSP told him face to face purchases outside NJ are illegal... and he sort of accepted it. Asked what law in NJ has jurisdiction across the Delaware River (considering the firearm itself is legal within NJ), but it’s a moot point. It was nice to update my license, and have multiple handguns shipped to my house... and of course, the baby-killing M1 Carbine. World is a much more dangerous place with that sitting in my safe.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
.32 or .22 in a German or French pistol. I'd suggest you test fire a .380 first. These are blowback pistols....not unlocking breech. The .380 has a very stout recoil....make sure it is acceptable before you purchase. You won't need a warranty on a German or French pistol. .32 PP German police turn ins can be purchased for under $500 in very good condition. A PPK/S isn't much more. A PPK will cost a bit more than the other flavors. It all depends on condition...since you aren't looking for a collector but a shooter, $700 or less should cover you.. Kind of a bad time to be looking for new firearms though. Learn how to assess whatever you purchase if buying one used. Good luck. 1917

1 - 20 of 23 Posts