Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Walther P.38. I paid $730 tax included from an old hole in the wall gunshop where the owner smokes a pipe.

All matching Mauser made in 1943. I am wondering about the locking block not being 'in the white' and thus being a Russian capture. It is not import marked. I do not see any 'X' markings. There is a marking I cannot identify next to the waffenampt on the barrel (see the photos).

Thanks for the help in advance.

https://ibb.co/album/gHM4tv

·
Registered
923 Posts
ImperiumRomanium you BYF43 was made at the Mauser Plant May of 1943. I has AEG grips which are normal. It has the early extractor cut in the slide and the early frame (no hump over the trigger) and a dusty finish. The dusty finish was done by sand blasting the gun before bluing. However the locking block and the locking block pin look blued. They should be in the white. I think the barrel was reblued sometime after the guns arrival in the US. The rest of the guns finish looks good. The gun is NOT a Russian capture. The missing red and white paint under the safety could have been removed when the gun was aggressively cleaned with acetone prior to the barrel block being reblued.

Because the barrel has been reblued it is not original as it was when it was brought back by a GI, which kills any collector value. But it is still a nice gun and a good shooter for you. if you do shoot use Winchester white box ammo.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My offhand impression (by no means reliable) is that the whole gun is recently refinished, and that the frame and barrel were re-numbered to match the slide.

The good news is that it's an attractive gun, and you did not over-pay.

M

·
Registered
923 Posts
MGMike I don't think slide and the frame has been refinished. The serial number on the slide looks consistent with frame serial you just can't see the tail on the "e". if it had been refinished I doubt you could still see the dusty blue finish. The serial on the barrel block may have been renumbered post war.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks refinished to me , including the magazine. It's still a very attractive WW2 P38. The price was fair IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts