Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites. I want some input on purchasing my first holster for a Walther P99. For conceal reasons I want to try an IWB first. I have a couple of questions and am looking for input. I am really interested in specifically why you did or did not like a holster. I?m not interested in brands or companies. I have that list. I want to know:

What are the details that make a good IWB holster comfortable to wear?

What details make a holster miserable to wear?

What functions do you want and like?

What functions do you not like?

I may bump this thread a couple of times to keep collecting information.

Thanks,

·
Registered
335 Posts
I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites. I want some input on purchasing my first holster for a Walther P99. For conceal reasons I want to try an IWB first.

FWIW:

Don't know that I can help you much, but thought you might enjoy seeing the FIST Kydex iwb holster I purchased for my P99c/AS.

When I called FIST I asked them if there was a possibility that the FIST for my compact would fit my full size too. The gentleman on the phone said "no problem" they would "cut" for the compact, "mold" for the full size. No extra charge and I would get a "two-fer"...

I am well pleased with my FIST and both of my Walther P99's indeed fit perfectly. The price was very reasonable @ $34.95+shipping, and the folks at FIST were very easy to deal with. I will admit the FIST Kydex is not the prettiest girl at the dance, but if functions, and fits, perfectly.

I have pictures w/the compact in the holster if you care to see them, but you asked about the full size.

I would recommend FIST products without reservation. I plan to order another iwb FIST for my S&W J-frame Smith Airweight Bodyguard.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
88 Posts
With an IWB design, you are balancing comfort with concealablity. It's never going to be as comfortable as an OWB holster...period.

That said, the above holster will hold your gun, but it's not a design I like at all. Here's why:

With an IWB holster, you want the belt loops (or clips) as far away from the body of the pistol as possible. The holster above has only a single clip (which tends to allow the holster to rotate on your belt) that is right on the body of the gun, making the bulge under your cover garment that much bigger.

As far as materials go, there are basically leather and kydex. Both work and both have their pros and cons. Leather is durable, and flexible which tends to make leather a little more comfortable for some. Kydex is thinner and lighter, making it more comfortable for others.

Leather is nicer looking, but more expensive and if you get sand or dirt in the holster, you can forget about ever getting it all out. If it's sand, be prepared to have the finish of your pistol scratched when drawing and holstering. Kydex belt clips are a little less noticable than leather belt loops, but they can break if flexed too far. I'm can't comment on all the super "deep cover" clips and velcro style holster attachments because I've never bothered with them.

As for comfort, I can tell you you want that holster to cover the bloody front sight! Slide-style holsters (often seen for glocks, that can fit any length barrel) should be avoided like the plague. That front sight blade can hurt real bad drawing from some positions, especially if you have a lot of body hair.

I find leather to be the most comfortable, but don't have any all leather holsters. I use a Tucker "The Answer" hybrid which is basically a kydex CTAC holster mounted to a comfortable and flexible leather backpeice that touches your hip. It's a great holster, but it's currently going for about $125...kinda steep. I haven't tried any of Tucker's all leather holsters, but they look well made and functional.

Milt Sparks makes excellent all leather holsters, with the Versa Max and Watch six (same holster, V-max has reinforced mouth for holstering) being my favorites.

Lou Alessi makes some of the absolute best, but I only have one of his shoulder rigs...never tried his IWB offerings.

There are a number of good kydex holsters too. The CTAC is very functional, though I have never wore one for more than 10 minutes so I can't comment on longterm comfort. The UCR looks interesting, but it seems like it would be hard not to crack the belt loops at some point since the whole thing is one molded piece of kydex.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I forgot to mention that the FIST Kydex holster I was referring to has excellent retention by the single clip. The clip is designed so that the bottom snugs under the bottom of your belt and keeps the holster from "rotating" on the belt.

Opinions are simply that, opinions,and mine is no more valid than anyone elses.. All I can tell you is that the FIST Kydex does the job I want it to do, and does it well enough that I intend to buy additional FIST Kydex holsters in the future.

Hope you find the holster that fits your needs..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same Fist holster for my compact P99 that PX15 has. It does everything I was hoping for; slim profile for easy iwb concealment, retains the gun in holster tightly, and the holster stays on the belt when you withdraw the gun. And it was only 35 bucks + shipping!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's a HK P7M8 in one of the most comfortable holsters I have found: the Tucker Gunleather "The Answer."
You can wear it all day without a worry - even this HK which is a bit more of a challange than ordinary shaped pistols.
I'll admit this holster doesn't have the visual appeal of a Milt Sparks (if you're into that), but it is highly reccomended.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great ideas. From what I've read in addition to attaching the holster to your belt, an open bottom is necessary to help keep dirt out of the barrel.

At first I wasn't concerned with one handed re-holstering, in fact I thought it wasn't an issue because why would I want to put my gun back quick if I needed it in an emergency. I bought a nylon Uncle Mike's and learned real quick that having the ability to put my gun back in my holster one handed sure increases the number of practice draws I can do. I now have a holster that taught me a lesson. I've worn it a couple of times around the house (waiting on CCW) and IWB is the way I want to go. OWB may be a little more comfortable but for work reasons I am more interested in being able to conceal.

Some of the things on my holster attributes list include one handed reholstering, open bottom, I am leaning towards a clip because about 25% of the time I'm not wearing a belt. During the summer I get hot easily and prefer oversized shirts to wear and don't layer clothes at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just for some additional information, Fist makes a Kydex clip holster that is
also tuckable, if that is something you might want to consider.

Ron

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've posted this question a couple of places and have got some great answers.

I was wanting an IWB but after reading some things and playing with what I currently have an OWB will probably met my needs. I found this holster from Black Hills Leather. The holster can be IWB or OWB by removing the belt loop. Any experience or opinions on it?

Picture

1 - 10 of 10 Posts