Walther Forums banner
15K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  tenzodelsol 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I will be purchasing my first handgun in the near future and I need some advice.

The Breakdown:

Primary Uses: Home Defense, Target, Fun

Calibers of Interest: 9mm and .40 S&W

Cost: Preferably Under $700, but I'll pay for quality

Some handguns have risen to the surface and piqued my interest, namely, Walther PPQ, Walther P99 AS, Glock 17 Gen4, Glock 19 Gen4, Glock 22 Gen4, Glock 23 Gen4.

I was quoted on the Walther PPQ yesterday at $800!? Is this the actual price or MSRP? It seems that in the not too distant past, it was more like $500-$600. I'd really appreciate clarification on this. What would you be willing to pay for a Walther PPQ?

I believe that ultimately, it comes down to how the gun feels in my hands--which gun I shoot better--and I believe that practice is more important than caliber.

For me, budget is a factor. I want to be able to do a lot of shooting without taking a loan. ;) Eventually, I will purchase a shotgun to complete my home defense system, so the 9mm may be sufficient for a backup weapon. I also like the larger magazine capacity in the 9mm.

That said, I'm open to honest opinions and advice.

Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#2 ·
You can't go wrong with either a P99 or PPQ. Both are phenomenal guns. Glocks are not bad guns either. Personally, I went with the P99 cause I hate the look of the Glocks and I liked the decocker which the PPQ doesn't have.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
I would get a glock 17 or 19 because if you get the ppq you will spoil yourself on a fantastic trigger and then every other gun you get will feel like junk( lol). But if you are already use to a glock like trigger i would get the ppq in 9mm just because 9mm is cheaper then 40sw. and the ppq has better feel in the hand then a glock as well . also i dont know about the p99 ive never had one, but the ppq is based off the p99 but i dont think the trigger on the p99 is as good as the ppq . hope this helps

#6 ·
PPQ is a good gun. It is very similar to Glock operation, so you will feel at ease if training with Glock guys. The issue when training with Glock people is that you better have a SA (single action) or striker operating gun, since with DA (double action), the modus operandi is different. PPQ is robust, simple and ambidextrous. Same trigger system as Glock.
No tricks. You aim, you shoot!
I just find the trigger too "crisp", but maybe it is because I shoot too much with my HK P30:D

#9 ·
Yes, I would recommend the PPQ in 9mm too! And yes, the trigger is really nice, and the gun ergonomics very similar to HK P30. The gun will come with 15 rounds magazine but you can get extra ones with 17 rounds. I agree that you should not pay more than $600US...

#10 ·
Hey everybody,

I will be purchasing my first handgun in the near future and I need some advice.

The Breakdown:

Primary Uses: Home Defense, Target, Fun

Calibers of Interest: 9mm and .40 S&W

Cost: Preferably Under $700, but I'll pay for quality

Some handguns have risen to the surface and piqued my interest, namely, Walther PPQ, Walther P99 AS, Glock 17 Gen4, Glock 19 Gen4, Glock 22 Gen4, Glock 23 Gen4.

Answer: Of the guns you listed, they’re all good guns. I personally own a PPQ as well as a P99 compact AS….along with some other guns. Hands down, the PPQ is the sweetest and most fun to shoot….followed by the P99c AS.

I was quoted on the Walther PPQ yesterday at $800!? Is this the actual price or MSRP? It seems that in the not too distant past, it was more like $500-$600. I'd really appreciate clarification on this. What would you be willing to pay for a Walther PPQ?

Answer: $800 is too much…..however, if you were to simply base the price of the gun on it’s merits, quality and precision it’s probably worth it….it’s popularity is also increasing as Walther is having a hard time keeping up with demand. Having said that, many PPQs have been picked up in the $500 to $550 range…heck some were lucky enough to find em’ for less than $500…woot, woot. I think if you bide your time and check the internet every day you might just run across a PPQ for $550 or so…and if you spot one, I’d suggest buying it on the spot, cuz if you don’t somebody else will. Just a couple of weeks ago I ran across a new post on this site offering a P99C AS for sale, like new only a couple hundred rounds thru it….I jumped on that like a duck on a junebug…..gotta be quick.

I believe that ultimately, it comes down to how the gun feels in my hands--which gun I shoot better--and I believe that practice is more important than caliber.

Answer: With the exception of one….maybe two people on this forum, everyone seems to think that the 'Walter gun fairy’s' dropped by their house and measured their hands while they were sleeping, cuz they all be sayin’ the PPQ fits their hand perfectly….best feeling gun they ever fondled. And the trigger…..again, most seem to believe it’s the best factory trigger out there…at least in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar price range. These two things add up to some nice, and mucho fun shooting. You’ll need to check www.sgamo.com for prices on ammo by the case.

For me, budget is a factor. I want to be able to do a lot of shooting without taking a loan. Eventually, I will purchase a shotgun to complete my home defense system, so the 9mm may be sufficient for a backup weapon. I also like the larger magazine capacity in the 9mm.

Answer: Since budget is a factor, that makes it really simple…9mm ammo is cheaper 40 S&W.

There ya go...hope that helps.

#11 ·
Good thread!

I was actually going to post something similar today since I'm in the same boat, so to consolidate, I'll just add to this one, and shut-up and listen to some answers!

For me, it's probably target/fun before home defense, although I appreciate the benefit of it. I have some friends (out of state) who have participated in IDPA and ISPC. I've listened to them for years, and spent some time watching, and finally admitted to myself that it's something I'd like to do. Maybe a bit down the road, but definitely a consideration.

Personally, made the call to stick with 9mm for now just based on cost, and the only other gun that was not on the original posters list that I looked at was the XDM. I've rented it a couple of times at a local range, and both liked the fit, and the way it shot.

I've only been able to handle the PPQ in a store (no rental available) and have loved the way it fit in my hand. I have to admit I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge without trying it, but the reviews I've read, and feedback I've seen makes me more comfortable. I've got a class (yes, I'm paying for some instruction, at least while I'm learning) on the 31st, and my instructor said he can borrow a PPQ from a friend of his, and at least let me put a few rounds thru it. Then at least I'll know for sure.

I've seen the "out of stock" listing most places I've tried to find the PPQ, anywhere from $499 to $549, and the only place I found it in stock had one left at $599.

The comment about the P99AS being safer though, is that in part because of the decocker? Being new at this, safety is definitely a big deal to me (Not that I should feel I NEED extra idiot proofing, but if it makes me think, I believe it'll help me build better habits to start) is a reason I originally looked at the XDM.

I'll shut up and read! Again, not wanting to hijack the thread, but had many of the same questions, and was in the same position!

Cheers,

#14 ·
The comment about the P99AS being safer though, is that in part because of the decocker?
Cheers,
I'm no x-pert, but I've got a Q and a P99c AS and when you rack the slide on the AS and then push the decocker what you wind up with is a double action trigger...a long somewhat heavy pull. It takes a deliberate action (pull) to fire the gun after it has been decocked. Some people feel safer carrying the gun decocked. The PPQ has NO decocker and it's got a long but light pull....pull it back until it hits the wall, then just a little pressure and 'KABOOM' batman.... It's really an individual preference and has a lot to do with one's own knowledge/experience with firearms. I'd suggest you try to find a P99 AS and compare it to the PPQ, then decide which one better suits your needs.

#13 ·
You have several good suggestions and you can't go wrong with a PPQ. One of the nice things about firearms is good ones don't lose too much of their value so if you pick one and decide it's not for you, you're not losing 1/2 of your money.

The biggest difference in the firearms that you suggested is going to be a striker-fire vs. hammer. I'm not a big fan of DA hammer fired pistols but some people are the opposite and like to have a decocker and a safety lever. Just something to keep in mind.

Only Glock and Walther on your radar?

I suggest a 9mm. More ammo for the same cost.

#16 ·
I just purchased my first gun on Monday. I bought the PPQ .40.

I decided on the PPQ because I ended up grouping my shots better with it. There is an indoor firing range about 40 minutes from my house that has free rentals on Wednesday's. I have spent the last six Wednesday's trying out all of the guns they had to offer to see how I shot them. I am sure with a bunch of practice I could do fine with any of them but I did shoot the PPQ better than all the other hand guns. The guys at the range recommended that I use one target per gun and label the targets and put notes how the gun felt. Great idea. It helped me make an informed decision.

I got to take out my PPQ last night and shoot a couple of hundred rounds. I even had my wife try it out. I am really happy with my purchase. It truly is a fantastic gun.

Jeff

#19 ·
I just purchased my first gun on Monday. I bought the PPQ .40.

I decided on the PPQ because I ended up grouping my shots better with it. There is an indoor firing range about 40 minutes from my house that has free rentals on Wednesday's. I have spent the last six Wednesday's trying out all of the guns they had to offer to see how I shot them. I am sure with a bunch of practice I could do fine with any of them but I did shoot the PPQ better than all the other hand guns. The guys at the range recommended that I use one target per gun and label the targets and put notes how the gun felt. Great idea. It helped me make an informed decision.

I got to take out my PPQ last night and shoot a couple of hundred rounds. I even had my wife try it out. I am really happy with my purchase. It truly is a fantastic gun.

Jeff
Jeff, what bee habbin' no hair..... It's really nice to hear from another satisified PPQ owner. Sounds like you did all the right things in an effort to find the gun that's best suited to you.

Hey, I take mine out every time I leave the house...however, sometimes I'll give it a rest and take the P99c. Life is good..... :D

#18 ·
Thanks for all the information, guys! Keep it coming!

@imaoldfart - Thanks for the detailed response! Very helpful! I'll be doing some careful searching in the coming days/weeks.

@Sundevil827 - No worries, man! The more discussion, the better! Thanks for the post.

@Fat B23 - Glock and Walther are not the only brands I'm willing to check out, but they are the only two that I've seen which have excellent reviews in the price range of $500-$700. Admittedly, I'm not very experienced with handguns, so I welcome your opinions!

#20 ·
I am definitely a novice shooter, but chose the PPQ 9 as my first pistol to own about a month ago.

I have fired several Glocks, most notably the 17 and 22, and both were excellent pistols, and for a while I leaned in that direction. I began researching alternatives as well to be thorough, and found the P99 and PPQ. I went to a gun show and felt the Glocks and the PPQ in my hand, and fell in love with the comfort of the PPQ, it made it feel as though the Glocks sat in my hand funny. I do realize that feel changes from person to person, but the PPQ nailed it for me.

I tracked a Q down locally and got it out the door for $540, and the rest is history. Couldn't be happier with the thing

#23 ·
IMHO there is one very bad thing about the PPQ and only one. And that is, it's built in Massachusetts. Why couldn't it be built it a gun friendly state?
Here's some good news for you, or bad, depending on how you view such things: The PPQ is built in Ulm, Germany, at the Walther plant there. S&W currently serves as the importer.

#29 ·
The PPQ is my first auto pistol and I am very happy with it. I like the fact that it works just like my revolver - un-holster, aim, pull trigger, BOOM. The same thing every time. No thumb safety, no decocker. ALWAYS follow the safety rules and be safe. Simple. Just my preference - YMMV.

I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot it - and she likes it too... A lot.
It is still my gun...for now...I think...:D

#32 ·
Well, after careful research, I decided to purchase the Walther PPQ. Since I purchased it online, I haven't received it yet, but I'm really excited!

Can someone tell me what I should expect to be included in the NIB package? I've heard varying reports about what is included...

Here's where I bought it: Grabagun.com Walther PPQ 9mm 4.1 inch Black POL 15rd FS Online Gun Store

#35 ·
Yeah, I was cheezin for about 30 miles ... Blaring born in the USA and I plan to do the same song and dance this Friday when I pick up the new addition, DD M4V1 .... It's going to look sick next to my PPQ... The PPQ makes anything better... Congrats buddy, you will absolutely love it.

#36 ·
Congrats!

I've got my class on Friday, and I'll have a chance to shoot it. There were a couple of days I was going to look at buying one after just handling it, but I felt like I had to make absolutely, completely, 100% sure by shooting it.

I am a little worried after the other posts, that my wife is in the class, and she'll have a chance to shoot it as well. In a way it'll make it easier to spend the money to buy, but you guys gave me the vibe I may not be buying it for me, that it'll be hers ASAP.

#38 ·
Congrats!

I've got my class on Friday, and I'll have a chance to shoot it. There were a couple of days I was going to look at buying one after just handling it, but I felt like I had to make absolutely, completely, 100% sure by shooting it.

I am a little worried after the other posts, that my wife is in the class, and she'll have a chance to shoot it as well. In a way it'll make it easier to spend the money to buy, but you guys gave me the vibe I may not be buying it for me, that it'll be hers ASAP.
I've said it before...kiss your Q goodbye and save for another.
She may let you borrow hers every so often but it is easier to get your own...
I lucked out. My wife, decided I could use "her" QFE for EDC as long as she got to keep the PPK/S....she hasn't shot my P99c yet so for now it is safe!
:cool:
Enjoy your class...the Q is a great tool and instruction will improve how you use it.

#37 ·
Well my wife is not a shooter, nothing made me feel better and find my wife more attractive then when I had her shoot my PPQ she unloaded a few mags and handed it back to me and said I'm done and kinda shrugged her shoulders I looked at the target she made a picture of a heart and my name in it ;) haha lol no she did ok but the fact that she had never shot a gun before and handled the PPQ quite well was def a good sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.