Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'll be picking up my first firearm this weekend (yay for pk380!).

Before I do that though, I was hoping someone could help point out what I should look for in terms of a cleaning kit. I've looked around, but there are so many options (and none were specific to the PK380 that I could find online), so I wasn't sure what to get.

I've never owned a gun before and have never cleaned one before either. From reading around, it seems like I need some kind of lube, solvent, sticks?... lol.

If you guys could go through your cleaning process (or have a video you guys like), I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share. :)

Also, if you have some fav cleaning items, please link away and/or drop names, and I'll look into it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
473 Posts
You will need some sort of cleaning kit; you can find something reasonable and universal at Walmart or on Amazon. No need for specifics other than the copper brush to fit the caliber you are cleaning. Brass rods are nice so you do not mar the steel or aluminium parts on your guns. Universal cleaning kit is your friend.

I recommend using Balistol for both cleaning and lubricating, others have their own preferences but I find simpler and less products is easier and I have been doing so now for over 20 years and have had no issues.

Lastly pick yourself up a silicone rag to wipe the exterior of the gun down after cleaning and lubing.

PS: welcome to the shooting community.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a huge fan of boresnakes. I prefer them over the old cleaning rods and brushes that I used for years. I do still keep a small segment of rod and a standard bore brush for some work, but it's mostly for scrubbing carbon from exterior surfaces of the barrel and camber. Dental picks are nice to have. Other than that I just use a solvent (I've never broken the habit of using hoppes no.9), patches and q-tips. I lube with slip 2000

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a hoppes no. 9 (i love the smell, you may not) and MPro7 LPX kind of guy.

As was mentioned a cheap 20 dollar kit with brash rods from walmart will work well. You could also pick up a bore snake (9mm/357/.380 are all the same snake) as it makes field strip cleaning really quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Unless you are a present or former Marine, don't go crazy micro-cleaning. A perfectly adequate job can be done with field-stripping alone in about four minutes. Resist the temptation for further disassembly; it leads to trouble. That is why practically every owner's manual I have ever seen contains the phrase, "Further disassembly is not required for routine cleaning."

Keep the barrel chamber scrubbed, bright and shiny. In pistols the bore doesn't really matter.

Take the magazine apart to clean it; that's the one component that will benefit from complete disassembly.

Do not over-lubricate. Excess oil traps schmutz that would otherwise be blown away or cause no problem. It's almost worse than under-lubricating. Ignore nonsense about "some guns like to be run wet"; that applies to fish, not guns.

After a couple thousand rounds --not just one or two boxes--a more detailed cleaning may be in order. Hoppe's No. 9, an old toothbrush, a rag soaked with RIG, and compressed air are your friends.

M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the tips!! I'll definitely check out the Walther video.

@MGMike - how often would you say the magazine should be taken apart for cleaning?

I'll look into the bore snake as well.

I ended up getting these items from Amazon:
  • General cleaning kit
  • Hoppe's no 9 solvent
  • Break-Free CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant
  • Silicon handgun cleaning mat
  • Cleaning patches

:)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

@MGMike - how often would you say the magazine should be taken apart for cleaning?

Every time the gun is dirty enough to clean. The magazine is like an ashcan behind the chamber; a lot of the carbon, unburned powder, brass flakes and other firing residue that is blown out of the chamber with every shot falls into the magazine. If the breech face of the slide (where the firing pin emerges to strike the cartridge primer) is found covered with schmutz, you can bet the inside of the magazine is, too.

It only takes three or four minutes to clean it. No part of a semi-auto pistol is more critical to proper functioning.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.