Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just purchased my first firearm, a SW99 40 CAL. seeing as how the SW99 and the P99 are interchangable in many ways i thought this would be an appropriate place to post. I have done a lot of reading but haven't found much info on bullet specs. What are the best bullets to use for this gun? What do you use for performance, practice, and what are the costs? What is meant by a bullets grain? Thank you!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Greetings. The SW99 and P99 are pretty close but have some notable differnces. That however wont make much differnce for your question.

Most studies done on the balistics for the 40 cal suggest the mid weight bullet. I forgot the number off the top of my head but spear(or any other brand) has 3 different weights and the mid weight is the best. As for selection I am partial to spear gold dot, corbon, and hydro shock. I have heard good things about TAP etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Grain refers to the weight of the bullet itself.

Welcome to firearms. I think picking ammunition for self defense is one of the most challenging things any beginner will have to do. I would strongly suggest you download and read this document http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm Its by the FBI and while it doesn't discuss any handgun round in particular, it its a very readable paper that explains how people are stopped by handgun wounds and how to use ballistics gelatin test data to determine how effective a round might be against a person. You can then look for ballistic gelatin tests of rounds you're considering for purchase and see how they all stack up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts