Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first edition SN PPS7XX and the paint job on the frame is failing all over the place. It is literally flaking off. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is a standard PPS frame with a paint job on top, I don't really care because in the end this is a tool. However, I am concerned that the paint flaking off is indicative of bigger problems.

I have an email into Walther America as well...

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I have a first edition SN PPS7XX and the paint job on the frame is failing all over the place. It is literally flaking off. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is a standard PPS frame with a paint job on top, I don't really care because in the end this is a tool. However, I am concerned that the paint flaking off is indicative of bigger problems.

I have an email into Walther America as well...
Seems to me that we have covered this ground in an earlier thread. Let's me fish around here a bit and see if I can get a hook on it. :)

OK, here we go. Try this link:

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6287&highlight=pps+paint

Pertinent to it is this observation from WaltherPPS:

"The Gray anthracite finsih is a black poly frame with silver paint on it! Yes this may start an upheaval, but you can scratch it off, and yes it will wear off in 10 years of carry. Look at the edges when you field strip it and you can see. The paint is either applied by a strange brush or by some kind of computer paint application. It is NOT molded all the way through the polymer. Basically it does look cool, but it will wear and your gun will eventually be partly black anyway."

A number of other folks weighed in after that, which made for an interesting read. Check it out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmmm... kind of makes me glad I waited until a black one came along. I looked at a FE at a local gun shop and I just couldn't warm up to the odd finish. Obviously a subjective thing, but make mine (all) black ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had seen that in the above thread from awhile back. What I am seeing is catastrophic failure of the paint job, not minor chipping. The paint is coming off after two weeks, not ten years...

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I had seen that in the above thread from awhile back. What I am seeing is catastrophic failure of the paint job, not minor chipping. The paint is coming off after two weeks, not ten years...
In that case, I'd say that you've got a problem and should most definitely get in touch with the S&W customer service boys and let 'em have it. No gun, and especially no Walther, should exhibit that kind of issue at any point ... and surely not immediately after purchase.

For what it's worth, I've got a PPS FE and have had no issues with -- from firing to paint to take your pick. It's a great little gun; can't wait to get it a bunkmate for company. :)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words!!! ;)

Any possibility of posting a picture of this malady?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words!!! ;)

Any possibility of posting a picture of this malady?
This is the single worst spot. There are others, all appear to be holster wear. The frame underneath the paint appears durable...

Here is the holster I am using while waiting for a K&D. It is for a Glock 26.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up my new PPS FE last night and while I was looking it over I noticed some shavings, what turned out to be the finish and have yet to fire a single shot through it. I called S&W a few minutes ago, and I spoke to someone and was told that the PPS is dipped into a solution and the finish coming/peeling off can and has happened and all they can do is to replace the pistol with another first edition and that it could happen again to the replacement. Well if that the case, those who have purchased the FE must be compensated in some way, this by no means is an inexpensive gun and the fact that Walther has touted this as an First Edition like a collectible. Maybe it's not meant to be used, then there will be no finish problems and it can then be a collectable. I don't collect guns, I shoot them. Now I need to figure out what to do next.:mad: :confused:

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I've put a couple of hundred or so rounds through my PPS FE and love it all ... from the looks to the performance. (Beauty must truly be in the eye of the beholder; I find the the frame to be most appealing.) I've also noticed no problems whatsoever with the durability of the finish. After the initial posts regarding this issue, I tried to thumb-scratch a corner and failed to make a dent ... or a mark. I have not been using it for concealed carry, so there's no opportunity for holster-wear to show up. I plan on getting the black-framed edition when it arrives and will consider it for concealed use once I run some rounds through it and determine both its accuracy and reliability.

All in all, I'm pleased with the PPS and am happy enough with the original to get it a mate. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up my new PPS FE last night and while I was looking it over I noticed some shavings, what turned out to be the finish and have yet to fire a single shot through it. I called S&W a few minutes ago, and I spoke to someone and was told that the PPS is dipped into a solution and the finish coming/peeling off can and has happened and all they can do is to replace the pistol with another first edition and that it could happen again to the replacement. Well if that the case, those who have purchased the FE must be compensated in some way, this by no means is an inexpensive gun and the fact that Walther has touted this as an First Edition like a collectible. Maybe it's not meant to be used, then there will be no finish problems and it can then be a collectable. I don't collect guns, I shoot them. Now I need to figure out what to do next.:mad: :confused:
If this is the case, I might rub mine with some Lacquer thinner and see what happens. Follow that up with a nice Duracoat finish and I'v got a black one...

I love this gun, but it is not a safe queen. I don't think I over payed for it just because it is a FE, so who cares. Right? :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
uscmba02...

I am on my way to the range to try out my new FE. If it shoots as well as everyone says it will be a keeper. Let me know if you try the thinner, it should work and I wouldn't mind if my PPS were black. I paid $599 for the FE so if I end up with it black, I still have the case and the extra mag. It would end up being a wash. Please let me know if you go the paint thinner way. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that number 7?

Thanks for the pictures. thoughts:

Is that number 7 as in the seventh one off the line, As in PPS 007?
Too Cool.

I suppose it is possible that as production increased the paint process was corrected/improved. Mine at PPS764 seems to have no problems with the finish. Although thats 300 rounds and much less time in the holster than yours. And now that I've read about the paint issue, I'm careful not to "clean" the polymer.

Is is possible that your holster or belt is too tight in that spot? Perhaps when a holster is made specifically for the PPS it won't wear in that spot.

For functionality, all I can say about the pistol is flawless, flawless, flawless.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The only difficulty I have had with my FE finish is where an ill-advised experiment with one of those "no holster pistol clip" things was attached with adhesive and removed an area of the FE paint. Frankly, I don't care if it all falls off or stays on or wears horribly. Nor do I really care if it is marked "First Edition." I think the design is terrific and that is what I am interested, along with the functioning of the PPS, and that has been almost flawless.

The FE paint can blow off in big sheets for all I care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the walther p22 which has the exact same grey and black finish and I've shot easily over 10,000 rounds thru it in the past year, its my favorite gun...until now that I have my pps. I have had no problems with the finish whatsoever on my p22 or the pps. my pps is number 82 so its alot closer to the range of 7 than 700 and I don't see that the finish is going to be an issue. those of you who think that its ugly are losing your paint, those of us who like the finish are getting to keep it :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sadly, after my first time out, I noticed the finish is beginning to peel on both sides where my thumb rests and where my trigger finger and palm rest against the side. Not only that but my slide froze and wouldn't close on my 67th round. It started by the slide locking after round two of the eight round mag locked open. The next couple of rounds the slide stayed open and then stayed open for good. I checked everything out when I got home and it seems to be an internal problem with the slide release mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the pictures. thoughts:

Is that number 7 as in the seventh one off the line, As in PPS 007?
Too Cool.

I suppose it is possible that as production increased the paint process was corrected/improved. Mine at PPS764 seems to have no problems with the finish. Although thats 300 rounds and much less time in the holster than yours. And now that I've read about the paint issue, I'm careful not to "clean" the polymer.

Is is possible that your holster or belt is too tight in that spot? Perhaps when a holster is made specifically for the PPS it won't wear in that spot.

For functionality, all I can say about the pistol is flawless, flawless, flawless.
My SN is in the 700's. I blurred the last two numbers with photoshop. I'm going to refinish my frame with Duracoat this weekend. I have already completely removed the finish from the frame. Its gonna be FDE when I am done with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts