Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new PPK yesterday and as with all my firearms I tear it down and check things out. I also watched a couple disassembly videos just to get educated. So as I was inspecting the slide I noticed the firing pin spring was binding near the breech face. No matter what I tried I couldn’t get it to seat without being cockeyed. So I removed the safety lever and took the spring out. What I saw was that it was larger at one end than the other? Is that normal? It’s causing it to bind before it makes contact with the back of the breech face.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Is your PPK brand new? I mean, the latest model made by Walther Arms in the US? My PPK (1980 W. Germany) firing pin spring is symmetrical so it can go either way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Is your PPK brand new? I mean, the latest model made by Walther Arms in the US? My PPK (1980 W. Germany) firing pin spring is symmetrical so it can go either way.

View attachment 95394
It’s brand new. Just picked it up from my LGS yesterday. What your spring looks like is what I’ve seen everywhere and what I’d expect. I’ve contacted Walther and sent them a pic. We’ll see what they say but it can’t be right. I can’t even get the spring back in without having to use pressure and a punch tool which I’m not willing to do with any pressure. Has to be a bad spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s brand new. Just picked it up from my LGS yesterday. What your spring looks like is what I’ve seen everywhere and what I’d expect. I’ve contacted Walther and sent them a pic. We’ll see what they say but it can’t be right. I can’t even get the spring back in without having to use pressure and a punch tool which I’m not willing to do with any pressure. Has to be a bad spring.
I am curious to see what Walther says about it. Comparing to my spring they are definitely different, not even the same number of coils. They have great customer service so I am sure they will get it all sorted out

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Welcome WinterRanger, is your pistol one of the new Ft Smith pistols? I haven't seen any old pistols with that shape spring in it that I remember. Perhaps they have changed the spring for the new Ft Smith PPK????? Can't imagine why. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome WinterRanger, is your pistol one of the new Ft Smith pistols? I haven't seen any old pistols with that shape spring in it that I remember. Perhaps they have changed the spring for the new Ft Smith PPK????? Can't imagine why. 1917
No sure isn’t. I talked to Walther today. They are sending me a new spring. We’ll see what I get. Hopefully it won’t take 7-10 days to get to me from two states over.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Hmmmm, well if it isn't a brand new design compliments of FT Smith then I think you have the wrong spring somehow. I didn't see anything in the FAQ section regarding this. I have some recoil springs that look like that only a bit larger.....say, Ruger LCP. It is designed with the large end so that it won't slip between the barrel and slide. Same reason the recoil spring on PP pistols is larger on the muzzle end. I don't know or any other spring like it in a PP so....must have come from somewhere. New pistol vs new to me sometimes causes confusion. I pulled two or three pistols out in .22, .32 and .380 and they all had straight springs. Good luck with it....and good going on seeing that something wasn't quite right. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was the response I got back from email from Ft. Smith:

“The spring is supposed to be wider on one end than the other, all the ones i would be able to send you will be identical to that as well.”

There’s no way the spring should have to be forced into the channel. I’ll wait to see what I get from the person I talked on the phone with. If it’s the same thing I’ll just get a Wolff Spring Kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the new spring in. Same as what was already in the pistol. There’s NO WAY the spring should bind before it reaches the back of the breach face. I guess I’ll wait for the Wollf and put the right spring in. Disappointed....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the Wolff spring today. Dropped right in and looked just like Shaken's, proper. For the life of me I can't understand why Ft. Smith would want a spring to sit in the channel cock-eyed and not fully against the back of the breach face. As an engineer things like this really bother me. I hope that someone who works at Walther will see this post and reply with an answer. Just telling me "The right spring was installed" and not explaining why it goes against common engineering sense is troubling.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I don't know why some things go against common sense. BTW, I was a Fall Ranger, if we're talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Winter....did Ft Smith happen to mention which end of the spring should be forward? I think I will send your photo up to the guy I know there and ask what's going on. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Winter....did Ft Smith happen to mention which end of the spring should be forward? I think I will send your photo up to the guy I know there and ask what's going on. 1917
I was told the conical end goes towards the rear of the breach face. Even if I do it the other way the conical end still is obstructed by the firing pin channel. The issue of course is that the diameter of the conical end of the spring is greater than the width of the square firing pin channel.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
This seems odd to me. Hopefully someone else with the new pistol will remove the slide and have a look to see if their's is the same. 1917

1 - 15 of 15 Posts