Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Walther p22 (stamped Walther on one side and Smith & Wessen) on the other. It has only been fired maybe twenty times. I have tried six different ammos and it appears the firing pin does not strike the rim with sufficient fource. Right now it is only good to throw at something or a paper weight. Expecting better. What is the fix for this? Having to replace the pin seems like a real failure on Walther's part if it only last a few shots. Very unhappy with the gun. I am sure others have had this frustration. Anyone with suggestions/fix would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Welcome marshuff, I'm certain we can sort this out in short order. There are three things you need to check first. 1. The lever needs to be flipped forward, parallel with the barrel is the fire position. Don't laugh....you wouldn't believe how many people have gotten that wrong. It did prove the safety worked though. :D 2. With an unloaded pistol cock the hammer, set the safety to fire and check the firing pin. It must move freely and reset fully to the rear. Make sure it resets all the way to the rear....if it doesn't, the hammer can't whack it. Also press the firing pin in from the rear, it should compress the return spring and the nose of the pin should stick out the face of the breech block.

If all that checks out....then you need to check the position of the hammer after it falls. Don't touch anything, just have a good look at the hammer. Did it fall all the way against the rear of the safety or was it caught just short by the safety notch (half cock). If the sear has caught the hammer on the way down then the trigger bar is not doing part of its job. Let me know what you find and we will proceed from there. M1911

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it's a brand-new pistol under warranty why not have Walther fix it? Even if it's used I'm sure they'll be glad to take a look at it. If everybody tried to fix their guns on their own the manufacturers would assume their guns always worked because none would be coming back to them.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Since it is stamped S&W, probably not a new pistol, certainly not a late model pistol. But, OP didn't really say. I think it is good to learn something about your pistol as long as it might be something simple. In this case it could be simple.....firing pin needs cleaning, chamber not letting the rounds freely drop in and seat which causes the round to give when struck by the firing pin. That also results in light strikes. This can easily occur while firing so....might as well learn to do a little assessment. Now if the entire pistol needs to come apart...then a call to Ft Smith might be in order for some folks. :) M1911

1 - 6 of 6 Posts