Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So something felt weird firing and I accidentally got some lube in the striker channel. I took the assembly out and found this crack. Anyone know what happened?!
p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like this has happened before: PPS M2 striker guide beginning to crack

Seems like it's a weakness in the design/molding of the sleeve that's allowing it to crack when the tang on the striker impacts the front of the sleeve. In a live-fire situation, I'd imagine the striker hitting the primer would buffer the impact, but in a dry-fire it would seem the front of the sleeve is taking the full brunt of the impact. Do you use a snap cap when dry firing your PPS?

A quick call to Walther should yield a replacement sleeve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like this has happened before: PPS M2 striker guide beginning to crack

Seems like it's a weakness in the design/molding of the sleeve that's allowing it to crack when the tang on the striker impacts the front of the sleeve. In a live-fire situation, I'd imagine the striker hitting the primer would buffer the impact, but in a dry-fire it would seem the front of the sleeve is taking the full brunt of the impact. Do you use a snap cap when dry firing your PPS?

A quick call to Walther should yield a replacement sleeve.
Okay good deal. I sent them an email last night and waiting to get a response. I always use snap caps when dry-firing. I do dry fire a LOT though. Usually every night.... a couple hundred times. I guess this would wear parts pretty quick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I contacted customer support. After sending pictures they told me that I needed to send the striker assembly into them so they could look at it and possibly replace under warranty. They did not provide any sort of shipping label either. I took to post office and when I asked for tracking was charged $5.00... is this normal for them?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't speak for others' experiences with Walther's CS, but when I noticed a significant casting flaw in the striker of my newly acquired PPQ back in 2016 (chronicled here), Walther provided a shipping label to effect a warranty exchange.

Did you actually request a shipping label from them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I asked if they wanted me to ship only the part or the entire gun, the CS rep was not very clear on that. I also asked if they would send me a shipping label. He responded with “striker only”. I should have pushed harder but was sort of caught off guard. I figured what was $1.00? I new I’d put two stamps on it. They got me with tracking 😒

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Dapper, you didn't put that striker in a paper envelope did you????

I had a guy send me a trigger bar......he put it in a letter sized envelope. The post office uses mechanical sorters.....the trigger bar never made it. I did get the tattered and torn envelope though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don’t tell me that... Crapola. I did wrap it in some thick paper wrap and stick it in a freezer bag that I then rolled. The clerk asked me what it was and I told her it was a spring assembly. Maybe they’ll process the tracked packages different than a stamped envelope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMO (and from considerable PPS experience) you can expect to see that striker sleeve crack again, again, and again. I've owned 1 classic and 2 M2's and they all had cracks repeatedly in the same area as shown in your photo. Thus I used to always keep at least a couple spare sleeves on hand. Yes I did dry fire practice with them all but never w/o a snap cap in place. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's caused by an inherent design flaw.

After discovering my first crack long ago, I routinely inspected the striker assembly after live fire and found cracks several times. That means I've fired PPS guns with cracked striker sleeves. However the cracks never caused any firing problems. Nonetheless it's not right and Walther is long overdue to acknowledge the issue and/or re-engineer the striker assembly somehow to eliminate the problem.

Research it on the Internet. It's old news and there are many posts about it. My guess is there are many PPS guns in use w/cracked sleeves. How many people routinely check their striker assemblies out though?

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMO (and from considerable PPS experience) you can expect to see that striker sleeve crack again, again, and again. I've owned 1 classic and 2 M2's and they all had cracks repeatedly in the same area as shown in your photo. Thus I used to always keep at least a couple spare sleeves on hand. Yes I did dry fire practice with them all but never w/o a snap cap in place. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's caused by an inherent design flaw.

After discovering my first crack long ago, I routinely inspected the striker assembly after live fire and found cracks several times. That means I've fired PPS guns with cracked striker sleeves. However the cracks never caused any firing problems. Nonetheless it's not right and Walther is long overdue to acknowledge the issue and/or re-engineer the striker assembly somehow to eliminate the problem.

Research it on the Internet. It's old news and there are many posts about it. My guess is there are many PPS guns in use w/cracked sleeves. How many people routinely check their striker assemblies out though?

My striker pin guide was also broken just like you say. I called Walther and they sent me a new one. I asked the Walther guy who took my complaint if this was common, and he said “no”. B. S. If you think about it, I find it ironic that part should break just from supposed action of dry firing...because every time you field strip it, it has to be dry fired. Really bad design flaw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My striker pin guide was also broken just like you say. I called Walther and they sent me a new one. I asked the Walther guy who took my complaint if this was common, and he said “no”. B. S. If you think about it, I find it ironic that part should break just from supposed action of dry firing...because every time you field strip it, it has to be dry fired. Really bad design flaw.
On a side note, I did not have to send the broken part back. They sent me a new one “no questions asked”. Which tells me this must be a common problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A quick question for those who've reported cracked/broken striker sleeves in this thread: were you using the stock PPS striker spring or a lighter one?

The reason I ask is that I installed a lighter Glock factory striker spring in my PPS M2 not long after acquiring the gun and have dry fired it countless times since then with no adverse effects to the sleeve to this day. Perhaps the lighter Glock spring isn't stressing the sleeve as much as the factory spring is.

Just curious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased a glock spring but never use it because it’s my edc. I’ve been using the ridiculously long stock spring.

I didn’t think it sounded right sending my part in to them. Especially since I took a picture and you can clearly see the guide is broken. I guess it all depends on who you get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A quick question for those who've reported cracked/broken striker sleeves in this thread: were you using the stock PPS striker spring or a lighter one?

The reason I ask is that I installed a lighter Glock factory striker spring in my PPS M2 not long after acquiring the gun and have dry fired it countless times since then with no adverse effects to the sleeve to this day. Perhaps the lighter Glock spring isn't stressing the sleeve as much as the factory spring is.

Just curious.
Was wondering where you purchased your Glock spring, and exactly which one you purchased, as I’M under the assumption there are different tensioned striker springs?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Was wondering where you purchased your Glock spring, and exactly which one you purchased, as I’M under the assumption there are different tensioned striker springs?
I used the factory 5.5 lb. striker spring from my Glock 34 that was left over from a trigger job I had performed on that gun which involved replacing the striker spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
5.5 is their standard, but 6 would be fine too. I got mine on ebay.

I called Wolff directly and the tech person told me they don’t make any springs for the pps m2. I was going to inform them I had the green colored firing pin spring. I also saw some information in this forum about Glock firing pin springs not being big enough to fit over the pps m2 striker spring catcher unless the Glock spring was well worn/fired.

1. Does anyone know exactly what lb. the original pps m2 green striker spring is?
2. Besides Wolff, (which explicitly informed me they do not make any springs for the pps m2, 1-800-545-0077), where/what kind can I get a better striker firing pin spring that will improve and replace the original green striker firing pin? How many lbs. should the spring be for no possible malfunctions and reliability? (I have seen a bunch on eBay, but some are Wolff).
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, first off thanks for the info on the cracked striker guide. Ive owned the PPS M2/LE for 13 months and have shot 1500 rounds and have fired it eight thousands times with practicing on the iTarget Pro (I highly recommend getting one). I just happened to fine this forum and read about the cracked striker guides. I had no clue this was an issue so of course I had to check and there is was cracked just like the photo above. I contacted Walter and a replacement was sent within the week along with one striker spring keeper (yes one). As I was replacing the old with the new guide I took out the little spring inside the guide and noticed that one of the spring coils on the little spring was broken, has anyone else noticed theirs broken? After I put everything back together I shot it 30 times with the iTarget Pro laser and the trigger was smooth as butter again. I do love the Walter PPS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts