Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I'm not up to speed on current gun laws. Why in the world do my two new Walthers have a fired case included with them? I've found posts on the forums about "States that need it" but not much else.

Anyone living in such a state that can explain this?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I believe the state of MA requires the fired case be forwarded to their DOJ when the pistol is purchased.

So when you misuse your pistol they can trace you, run you down and punish you to the full extent of the law!!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thats just....silly. Since it takes moments at best to alter a chamber, the not nice people are hardly going to worry about it, and its extra paperwork and silliness for the law abiding types.

I wonder if the police in those states like it or not? Has it actually caught someone? And why a case and not a bullet??

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I am sure that this fired case business has not and will never catch a real criminal. It may net a couple of innocent folks though!

California is expierencing a re-birth of the Ammunition Log, a book kept by dealers, wherein each person who buys a box of ammo must be listed by name, address, driver's license number along with amount of ammo and a thumbprint!!!

This had been done for several years back in the 1980's and was a resounding waste of time. State officials finally abandoned the harassment when they concluded that after five or six years, not a single crime had been solved with the help of the ammunition log!!!!

The fired case is just another infringement!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
My P99 came with a caseing from "DAG" which is the Austrian/German firm of Dynamit Nobel
I wonder if these are the casings that came from the "proof" shooting to show that the gun withstood the high preasure test.
The rounds shot for the test target are different from the "proofshooting"
The test target is to sight the pistol and show accuracy, which is done by factory employees. The proof shooting is two rounds shot into "blank space" to make sure the pistol is "safe" and is done by a state employee. Hence the name on the test target being different from the name on the evelope that has the casing in it.
But that is just my thought.... not sure how correct I am, so take it with a grain of Salt....

·
Registered
333 Posts
The fired shell casing is probably provided so these weapons can be sold in the few states that require them.

Yes, Maryland is one state that requires the shell casing or the weapon cannot be sold [ as new ] in the State. Some Companies won't even ship to Maryland because of this rediculous requirement.

And NO ........... not one case has been solved in Maryland because of the "fired shell casing" requirement. Literally tens of thousands of shell casings have to be filed and managed......costing the tax payers tons of money. Secretely, the MD State Police laughs at this foolish attempt to solve crimes.

JF.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
My P99 came with a caseing from "DAG" which is the Austrian/German firm of Dynamit Nobel
I wonder if these are the casings that came from the "proof" shooting to show that the gun withstood the high preasure test.
The rounds shot for the test target are different from the "proofshooting"
The test target is to sight the pistol and show accuracy, which is done by factory employees. The proof shooting is two rounds shot into "blank space" to make sure the pistol is "safe" and is done by a state employee. Hence the name on the test target being different from the name on the evelope that has the casing in it.
But that is just my thought.... not sure how correct I am, so take it with a grain of Salt....
I would say it is a casing from the accuracy shooting. My case is from Geco.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I would say it is a casing from the accuracy shooting. My case is from Geco.
Is the name on the target the same then on the evelope the casing was in ???
If not I have my doubts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Is the name on the target the same then on the evelope the casing was in ???
If not I have my doubts
Wow! I can't tell. It looks like my doctor signed both the envelope and the target.

Even though the handwriting is illegible in both cases, it does look like the handwriting has been done by two different people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts