Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a bunch of 380 ammo for my Interarms PPK/S, and it happened to be Fiocchi this time since it was the right price. It arrived today, and unexpectedly it has this crimp line about 2/3 up each shell. I've never seen this before on the 5 different brands of 380 ammo I've used.

Is this normal? Since our PPK's are so picky, especially in 380, does anyone know if this will cause [increasing] jamming issues? It's probably ok since it doesn't stick out or anything, but figured I'd see if anyone on here has used this stuff.

Edit: found this link showing the difference between the previous Fiocchi I've used (normal smooth shell and copper-colored bullet) and the style I've just received. https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/recent-fiocchi-380acp-variations/28689

(pics attached, not sure why they're links instead of just showing the pic itself)

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
That 'crimp' you show is just a upper mid cannelure in the brass to make sure there is no bullet 'set back' in case the nose of the bullet tries to recess into the brass if there is a nose jam on feeding.
If the bullet were to seat deeper in the case, the pressure would increase to a dangerous level.
Many old style 45ACP ammo always had that in the brass.
If that is what you are referring to. Otherwise, I see no other difference in the 'taper crimp' at the mouth of the case to bullet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Interesting to know what that's for. Why don't more bullet designs / manufacturers use that feature? Sounds like it's beneficial(?)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Manufacturing costs, better & tighter crimps at case mouths, new bullet designs, etc.
Even revolver brass had that cannelure from way back when.
Back in my Gov't 1911 45ACP reloading days when I competed (went thru 500 rounds a week), maybe 1/2 my brass had the cannelure. That brass didn't last as long as non-cannelured because it would split in that area.
It does make sense to add that safety feature. But, cases now a days, are made from recycled brass and have various other metals in them from who knows where, since real brass is more expensive. Keeping the price of ammo down in the ever growing competition of ammo makers is a factor.
Adding the cannelure makes a weak point in 'who knows what' brass.
Just my take on this, being a reloader for around 40 years (45ACP, 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 44spl, 44mag, 32S&W Long, 32H&R Mag, 327Fed Mag).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts