Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy was telling me that back in the 50s he used to go to a shop in California that had the old paper barrels filled with Luger parts and for 40 bucks you could go through and build a Luger with the parts you picked.

If it still financially feasible to build your own Luger? I have done this with other milsurp but have generally come out on the break even to where I could have bought a non matching gun for.

With the prices of Lugers high as they are, is it at all possible to do a build for under?
I am sure someone has tried, where did you come out at the end, and are the parts actually available at this point for such a build?
I expect the answer to be “good luck” and “your dreaming” but a guy can dream right?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The cumulative rate of inflation from the early '50 to 2019 is ~ 1000%.

So, that $40 in the '50s is ~$400 today. Not such an awesome deal when inflation adjusted.

The days of "affordable" Luger parts are long gone. These items have not been sold "bulk/by weight" (barrel loads) in decades.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
If it still financially feasible to build your own Luger?
I doubt it. What's your budget ? I regularly see Lugers for $1200-2000. There are modern firearms that cost that much brand new.

If you're in the market for a Luger check out Simpson Ltd. They have the largest retail selection of Lugers anywhere.

https://simpsonltd.com/lugers/

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I got my mismatched Luger for $600 and I saw one around that price just the other day. Not sure it would be worth the time and effort even if you could find all the parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A worthy project but the frame alone will cost you more than $400 if you can even find one for sale. Best value for a luger is a shooter grade that already works. All luger parts are not compatible.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As superfluities has mentioned, the Luger pistols need a lot of handfitting. For the pistol to work properly, the main spring and magazine spring have to be balanced and an ill-fitting trigger bar will give a horrendous trigger pull.

A properly set up Luger will be accurate, reliable, and a pleasure to shoot. My favourite Lugers have always been VOPO P.08s or the Mauser Lugers from the 1970s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As superfluities has mentioned, the Luger pistols need a lot of handfitting. For the pistol to work properly, the main spring and magazine spring have to be balanced and an ill-fitting trigger bar will give a horrendous trigger pull.

A properly set up Luger will be accurate, reliable, and a pleasure to shoot. My favourite Lugers have always been VOPO P.08s or the Mauser Lugers from the 1970s.
and I thought I was the only one that liked VOPO lugers...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought one of the Interarm's Mauser Lugers around 30 years ago. At that time it was new in the box and I paid $700 in a combo cash/trade which seemed like a lot then.
I wanted a perfect gun to shoot and had some negative experiences with funky used German guns. So I jumped on a new Luger made on the original machinery in the same plant as a good deal! I looked at that simpsonltd site and one like mine sold for $2800 that isn't quite as nice and also missing the test target!
I finally put a box of ammo thru it a few years ago and it shoots real nice. It is my favorite antique pistol to handle, take apart and drool over all the beautiful work to create this gorgeous weapon. Never want to part with it!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
and I thought I was the only one that liked VOPO lugers...
Oh no, sir! I love shooting them and had several but a 1942 vintage with a Czech replacement barrel that was installed by East German armourers is one of my most accurate centerfire pistols. I was told by a German collector that those barrels were made in the same factory that manufactured P.38 barrels during WWII.

With Nills

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put together several Lugers from parts and they work fine. I've also have two more in the works. But you have to really shop hard for the best price on parts. There are many sellers out there that think if they have a Luger part - they have struck it rich, and ask hundreds. These parts guns have cost me $400-500, and even some of the complete 'original' Lugers have parts replaced - as they did during the wars. Some of the parts are clearly dug from battlefields and need more polishing and filing to work. I have also made P-38s with parts, I like the steel receivers and then use a fat P-1 slide, but don't like the sleeved barrel. It all takes time, patience, and ability. But cost are rising and competition for these parts are keen, especially the receivers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts