Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got to tell you, I'm impressed.

I actually shot smaller groups with my PPS than with my G19.

The only complaint is that my groups are about 3 1/2" below point of aim (15 to 25 yds).

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My PPS shot a little off for me as well. I had to adjust the rear sight windage to the right 1/32" and I shoot better now. It was either off from the factory, or it is just the way I hold and look at the gun. If you are low, then it would seem your front sight is too high, or back one too low. That is strange as the front sight is lower than the P99 for more of a lower profile sight. The rear sight is not adjustable up and down and a taller sight may be hard to find. Talk to walther about this if it still persists after putting the gun in a vise and shooting it while obtaining a perfect sight picture.
It could be that you now have to put the dots right on the target instead of slightly lower like some other guns...

My sight picture is different on my Browning Buckmark .22 pistol as I have to put the top horizontal edge of my front sight right in the center of the bullseye to hit it. The PPS seems to want me to put the front sight white dot right on the bull since that is where the bullet hits. So I now center the front dot right on the bull (basically covering it up) and then I can make good hits.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ought6,
Yes, pretty much everyone will experience high or low rounds, entirely possible / even likely. As you try the target at diffeent distances you may see the rounds coming in to point of aim or getting farther away / lower, depends in part on sights, as well as sight picture, but also in large part on type of ammo and where in the trajectory of the bullet the target is, bullet does not go perfectly flat. If just an elevation (up/down) rather than windage (left/right) issue, rather than going directly to changing sights, I sample different ammo for different firearms, and in most caes find ammo that shoots to point of aim for the distance that I like to shoot at, then just adjust sight picture from there when placing target closer or farther away. Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

Probably "urban legend" material (or in our case "rural legend" material), but when I first started shooting lo' these many decades ago I was taught to place the bullseye on TOP of my front sight.. That seemed to work just fine.

Later I got into German pistols (Walther PP/Sig P220, etc.) and I found myself shooting low some of the time. A friend who is wiser than I in such things (or a better bs'er) told me the preferred "sight picture" in Europe was to place the front sight in the CENTER of the bullseye..

I can't say if this is correct, or works in general, but with any firearm I have always just set the bullseye on TOP of the front sight picture, and if I was shooting low then I would go to setting the top of the front sight in the CENTER of the bullseye.. One or the other seemed to always work pretty well.

Can't hurt to try it?

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I got to tell you, I'm impressed.

I actually shot smaller groups with my PPS than with my G19.

The only complaint is that my groups are about 3 1/2" below point of aim (15 to 25 yds).

Anyone else experience this?
What were you shooting. I've noticed that 115g shoots a bit low ?

It's a terrific little pistol. Did the slowness of trigger reset bother you ? It is much slower than a Glock.
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Sorry it took me so long to check back on this thread. For those of you who suggested it - my normal sight picture is to put the top of the front sight on the bullseye. I never could get used to doing the 6 o'clock hold thing.

Jim, I tried several different loads. I was using 115 gr WWB, 115 gr handloads, 124 gr GS handloads, and 147 gr.GS handloads. All shot low. (BTW, I chronographed all the loads if anyone is interested.) I noticed that the rear sight had a "2" inscribed on it. I'm wondering if there are different numbered rear sights signifying differing heights.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be putting many more rounds through it before I carry it as my CCW. I can't qualify with it until we do second weapons qualifications sometime next quarter. Until then, I'll be shooting, and hopefully, tweaking it.

Anyone have any inways to differing sight heights for the PPS?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I forgot to address a comment by Jim. Yes, the slowness of the trigger reset did bother me. It's something I'll have to get used to. I was shooting my G19 along side it. There is quite a difference.

OTOH - the PPS shot just as tight of groups if not better than the G19 - surprising!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In going back over my range notes, I'm afraid I didn't record the WWB through the PPS, just my duty ammo (which is Win Ranger) and some reloads. It seems I was more interested in their velocity through the G19.

Here is what I have w/ PPS :

Winchester Ranger 147gr subsonics - Av.= 991 fps
My reload with 147 gr Rem Golden Sabers gave an identical reading of 911 fps.
However, the SD for the Rangers was 20.78 while the SD for my reload was only 7.21.

The next time I go out, I'll try to remember to chrono the WWB in both the PPS and G19.

Sorry to get your hopes up this time. Next time, I'll look before I leap (type).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick note in case anyone is interested in the difference -

PPS - 147gr Ranger vel = 911 fps
G19 - 147gr Ranger vel = 967.5 fps

Interesting that the little gun only gave up 56.5 fps, huh?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to address a comment by Jim. Yes, the slowness of the trigger reset did bother me. It's something I'll have to get used to. I was shooting my G19 along side it. There is quite a difference.

OTOH - the PPS shot just as tight of groups if not better than the G19 - surprising!
ought6;

I am going to try out some XS Big dots this week. I'll let you know how that works out.
My rear sight has a #2 on it as well.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
the #2 on the rear sight shows how far the notch is spaced appart.... there is only two different sizes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uncut,

Is the #2 the widest spaced sight. The older I get, the more space I want to see on my rear sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jhiller
"ought6;

I am going to try out some XS Big dots this week. I'll let you know how that works out.
My rear sight has a #2 on it as well."

Jim,

Are you able to get varying sight heights with those?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I need to go through my emails to find the measurements for the rear sights, but I do belive the #2 is the wider spaced appart one (if you want to do a search, it is mentioned somewhere on the P99 or PPS part of this Forum)
as to the front sights .... yes there is different front sight posts for the PPS .... the same as for the P99..... I do however not know if S&W stocks the metal sights for the P99, which will fit the PPS as long they are the metal Walther sights

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a quick note in case anyone is interested in the difference -

PPS - 147gr Ranger vel = 911 fps
G19 - 147gr Ranger vel = 967.5 fps

Interesting that the little gun only gave up 56.5 fps, huh?
I wonder, anyone care to venture a guess on what the loss in penetration is for 6% less velocity?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the data. By the way, what is SD?

I put together some other data of published loads through the PPS which you can see here:

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83
SD is standard deviation. It is the measurement of statistical dispersion. Its application to velocity testing is that it gives you a way to quantitate the differences in muzzle velocity of the same round fired many times . One single test of MV of a given round is not a good measure of what you can expect. The more rounds fired and the higher chance of predicting the MV. SD puts a value on the range of values.
Jim
SD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts