Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into someone today at the range who let me shoot their Springfield EMP and their 40 cal P99 A/S. I had never shot a 40 cal P99 before. I did good with it - but damn, there is more kick. Makes me glad for my 9mm.

I can manage it, but it wasn't something I'd care to own or shoot often. I think the P99 is perfect in 9mm!

Also got to try his Springfield EMP. It is a very nice gun. It is their mini 1911 in 9mm. I was surprised how little it kicks for the size. Of course, it's almost $1000!

Only think I didn't like was those crappy Springfield night sights. I've prev owned a Springfield 1911 with them. There are no white circles around the tritium, so it's very had to see the sight at an indoor range.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I own both the 9mm and 40SW, and I really do not notice that much of a difference in the recoil. The force feels the same, but the 40SW has a faster recoil signature then the 9mm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a P99 QA Titanium slide in 40SW. I think it has way less recoil than the 9mm smith & Wesson sigma I used to own. That piece of crap scared me to shoot it. I didn't own it long.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking seriously about a 9mm, mainly because its cheaper to shoot, but then, both my boys want p22's The ultimate in cheap to shoot!;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Haven't shot a P99 in 9mm but I did shoot Glocks and a Kel-Tec. Far less recoil than my P99-40. That said the 9mm sure barks like a big dog. Feisty little round. I'm thinking of getting a P99c in 9mm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its hard to compare different calibers in different frames. My H&K .40 caliber feels just as good as my G19 (9mm). However, I CAN notice the difference when I shoot a H&K .40 and a H&K 9mm one after the other, also on the Glock frames - .40 kicks a little more in the same frame (at least I perceive it that way).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, same frame, more energy. You should be worried if you're not experiencing more recoil. Of course felt recoil is subjective but other things being equal a higher energy round is going to kick more. You can probably find underloaded .40 ammo that has less energy than up-loaded 9mm but most .40 ammo is going to be hotter than 9mm in the same category (whitebox, SD etc.).

As soon as you start switching guns all bets are off although it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that heavier guns will kick less with the same ammo. So some predictions can be made. After that it's ergonomics and flex in the materials being used. Hard to judge by just looking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, same frame, more energy. You should be worried if you're not experiencing more recoil. Of course felt recoil is subjective but other things being equal a higher energy round is going to kick more...
I agree even though some folks swear by their 40S&W loads and they claim recoil is the same. It just make sense that all other things being equal, 40S&W is going to kick more than 9mm. But every person has different tolerances and perceptions of recoil. Ultimately, one has to fire the weapon, preferably in the same session as the other weapons you are considering, so you can judge for yourself.

·
Patron
212 Posts
My department carries the Glock 22 (.40) but I personally carry an HK USP .45. The .40 round has more "snap", more felt recoil, than both the 9mm AND the .45 ACP.

That's my 2¢.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My department carries the Glock 22 (.40) but I personally carry an HK USP .45. The .40 round has more "snap", more felt recoil, than both the 9mm AND the .45 ACP.

That's my 2?.
That's true.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, more power to ya 40 cal guys. I'll stick with my 9mm. :D

I'm not a .40 guy but have shot it in many guns except not the P99 yet. I'd agree with most that different calibers just have different shooting characteristics in general and it's up to each person to figure out what works for them, or doesn't work, which is somthing that can't be documented in a ballistic chart.

I've seen you express you opinion on the P99 in .40 (an even .45) a number of times so it's obvious you've discovered what works best for you, and what you don't like. So I'm curious, do you like .40 in any firearm....at least enough that you would consider buying one? Or is this more of you being a big 9mm fan (which is good:D ) and other calibers don't shoot the way you like? And just to keep the platform similar to the P99 have you shot .40 in say a Glock or XD and what did you think.....would you buy one of those (based on shooting/recoil characteristics, not the features of the firearm.....we all know the P99 has better features ;) )

I think knowing your opinion in general would make your review of the P99 in .40 more helpful to someone considering it as they would understand what you are using as a baseline for these judgements.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the majority of my guns have always been 9mm. I have owned several 45's over the years too. BUt, I prefer the 9, and it is cheaper.

I have never been a fan of the 40 cal bullet. I believe either the 9 or 45 is sufficient.

I have shot one 40 cal gun, however, that I would buy IF I wanted a 40 cal.

The Storm PX4 is just a so-so gun in 9mm. Basic 9mm DA/SA with external hammer. In 9mm, I see no benefit from the rotating barrel. However, I shot a 40 cal PX4 last year at the national Beretta range day. After my first shot, I had to stop and make sure I was shooting a 40 cal. I was amazed at the reduction in recoil. IF I wanted a 40 cal handgun, I think this would be the one to buy.

That being said, I have no plans on a 40 cal :p

I have had Glocks, Berettas, 1911s, HKs, and several other guns that escape my memory right now. The 9mm P99 is my all time fav :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts