Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy it was hard to get the thumb strap over it!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
MAn, that sure looks familiar

Yes, give it time to break in. After a month or two, it will be fine. Of course, I carried mine in the holster every day. The more U use it, the faster it will break in.

I did get holster wear on the front of mine pretty quick - It comes with the territory when U use a leather holster. That's why I had my slide hard chromed. Now, not a mark since Dec.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by holster wear?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Every gun that you put into a holster - it will develop wear on the slide. Small marks - scratches essentially. The only gun to stand up to this the longest is the Glock. It will take close to a year before a Glock starts showing wear.

Both Glock and Walther put the tennifer finish on their guns. But the black is really just an outer, colored coating. The tennifer is a grayish-white, and it is underneath. It is bonded to the metal, so U can't scratch that. But, U can scratch the black outer coating.

I developed some marks on my slide on my P99 compact w/i the first 2 weeks. After the initial ones, it didn't really get any worse. But it bugged me. I researched all the refinishes a person can get. And, I discovered that hard chrome is pretty much scratch proof except for metal on metal contact. So, NO more holster wear. So, I had my slide hard chromed last year. Still looks brand new. Sometimes, I'll get an oil on it from being in the holster. But just wipe that off, and it looks just like the day I  opened the box and pulled out my newly hard chromed slide.

I also had the extractor and decocker button covered in a flat black polymer finish. So, it really looks sweet.

I did the same on all three of these guns:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get this done and can this be done in black?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
No, hard chrome is what it is - U can get it doen in a polished hard chrome - which looks like shiney stainless steel. Or, U can get it matte - like I did. Almost like a flat grey color.

There is a black finish U can do called Black T - it is probably the most durable black finish there is. But, it is still polymer based. Eventuially, it will wear. Nothing comes close to hard chrome for durability.

Personally, I love the 2 tone color. When i got my last P99 - the fullsize one, I shot it 1x at the range, and then sent it off the next day. I just like the 2 color look.

Not everyone is as anal retentive about the finish as I am. I like my stuff to look nice.

I got the hard chrome done by Tripp Research. WWW.trippresearch.com

He has a black polyer coating, but I do not think it will last that long, and I had a neg experience w/ it when I had another gun covered in it - he had lots of flaws in it. But, on all three guns, just the decocker and extractor are small items to cover in the polymer. Those came out fine

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
+1 to what Shipwreck said...
however there is a Black chrome also... that is done by Fords, which however is a finish that I would not put on a shooter... I would say it is for showguns or a once a year range gun. Fords does amazing workl from what I have seen on all the finishes, however they have a long wait from what I have heard.
When you go to customer photos you will see a Walther PP done in black chrome.... it looks amazing but I bet you wouldn't want to holster that finish.

Click here for Fords

another company  that does gun finish work

and then there is also Robar.... I think theit NP3 is the most common used finish....
click for Robar here

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Yes, I skipped the black chrome when I mentioned it because it still shiney - and, it is not scratch resistant at all, from what I have read. As uncut said - it is just for showroom. For a carry gun, it would look worse much, much faster than the stock finish.

Roguard is another black polymer coating that can be done, but it is more of a shiney black. And, its also a polymer based type of finish. Black T is probably the strongest of the black finishes, but it does wear.

Hard chrome it dude. No more worries then. Unless U drop it on concrete or get a metal object to scratch it w/, no worries...

As for NP3 - it is an electro nickel type finish. Very slick. Some people don't like it on slides because it makes it very hard to pull the slide back w/o the hands slipping. It is wear resistant, but not as much as hard chrome. I almost went w/ it on the Walther, but the hard chrome was better.

I do plan to send off my HK compact slide for NP3, though. I do not carry the gun, so it will be wear resistant enough to be fine. And, after 3 hard chromed slides, I just wanna do something different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts