Walther Forums banner
301 - 315 of 315 Posts
Discussion starter · #301 · (Edited)
Yep. I started to research them a few years ago and got sidetracked on Walther and other. Starting to look at Lugers again and I’m reminded of the amount time and research it takes just to have a basic understanding. I think that’s what makes it interesting and fun!
Jim
I've had the chance to break down my Luger, and found it rings all the bells of this one with a few exceptions......
https://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/History%20Book/895swiss00C.htm

Mine has the American Eagle above the chamber (of course), has no proofs on the lower barrel and left side of chamber, also has the Type II safety (curved surface w/cross hatch). EDIT; It also has the oval with the "JVM" initials under the side plate (on frame), to identify it as a John V Martz Luger. This marking is known to anyone who has watched any vids on the Martz Lugers.

Everything else matches up, long frame (w/o shoulder stock mounting lug on rear backstrap), wide trigger guard, right offset trigger, DARK flame blue link pivot pins and grip screws, small grip safety, anti-bounce latch in the right toggle, smoking bomb proof-mark/stamp, and the BIG one, EVERY number matches (7845/45) on the ENTIRE firearm, even the grips. EDIT; Worth noting is the uniform "edge breaking/deburring" on all the parts, total absence of ANY external tooling marks, and the absolute straight, square, and uniform character spacing of the ident/proof/ser# stampings. The "everything done right" mindset really shows on these early Lugers.

The mag has NO base markings, thought this was a minus at time of purchase, turns out it's a plus. Mags were not marked on these early 1900 Lugers.

Seems like I did even better then originally thought.

I totally agree on the fun part.

Reactions: calla23
Discussion starter · #303 · (Edited)
I have a shooter Mauser in 9mm and a minty DWM 20's commercial in .30. They are fun to just hold.

So true.

Having a background in Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering, the near non-existence of gaps between all the moving parts is incredible. To think it was produced in a factory with late 1800s tech (no electricity....) boggles the mind.

Reactions: halfmoonclip
Discussion starter · #304 · (Edited)
What are the chances of coming across the AE/DWM 1900 Luger produced one unit after mine. I own S/N# 7845, here's 7846......

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/1900-american-eagle-luger-rig-ideal-grips-226.html

Found this interesting, QUOTE [ "though it is of note that this pistol does not have a GERMANY export marking" ] ENDQUOTE. The lack of the "GERMANY" export mark (on frame front, below S/N stamping) on mine almost had me not bidding on this Luger. Good to see another Am Eagle (from the same lot of guns) in the US without the export mark.

Simpson LTD has the Am Eagle produced 947 units before mine, puts it in the US Cavalry Trials range......

https://simpsonltd.com/dwm-luger-1900-american-test-eagle/

Another early DWM production 1900 Am Eagle without the "GERMANY" export mark.

Discussion starter · #305 · (Edited)
While at Jackson Armory yesterday, I came across the definitive book set (with 2 DVDs) on all things Borchardt and Luger......

https://simpsonltd.com/the-borchardt-luger-automatic-pistols-std/

Here's a review by Forgotten Weapons.....

Anyone who has even a slight interest in 19th to mid 20th century firearms need to visit Jackson Armory (if in the D/FW area of Texas). This place is like a museum that's selling all the display items.

I have some serious reading to do before my next Luger purchase, leaning toward a shooter grade Navy Luger, long barrel 9mm with the 2 position rear sight

Discussion starter · #307 ·
Well, added another West German Sig to the collection a few days ago. Saw it on Sat (2 hr wait for help at the gun counter), went back on Thurs and waited in line for an hour to inspect, and ultimately purchase.
A near new condition JH (1987) production P220, in 45 acp......

Attachments

Discussion starter · #309 ·
This P220 came with another sub-1" test target (actually .7" C to C).
Of the 13 West German handguns from this era (70s~'80s) in my collection, 8 came with test targets, 4 of those are sub-1".

Attachments

This P220 came with another sub-1" test target (actually .7" C to C).
Of the 13 West German handguns from this era (70s~'80s) in my collection, 8 came with test targets, 4 of those are sub-1".
Check if any is marked Rehr as the shooter. He was a champion shooter and shot at SIG Sauer as Anschusschuetze. He also was one of the top shots in the BGS/GSG9.

Discussion starter · #312 ·
I'll check the targets in the next few weeks. The summer heat/humidity is finally over, so the collection will get unboxed/unbagged, wiped down, visually checked, re-oiled with BrakeFree CO, re-packaged, then back into the safe. Wood grips need to be oiled too, I kept my safes above 80*(F), with humidity below 35% (Rel) for all of 2020. Been keeping the safes slightly warmer and drier then usual. The house is kept at 70* with 55%H.
IIRC, Rehr IS the shooter identified on a few of my test targets.

Ha, I have a photo of us together somewhere. Jo is an incredible shooter! A real shooting machine. He was on the GSG9 and in Mogadishu. That increases the value of your guns tremendously!

I also shot with another guy in the German military reserve matches who had been shooting for SIG Sauer, he usually came in first place with pistol in the state matches.

I have my guns all in the safes, oiled but handled and shot all the time. I never had rust develop with the exception of the almost seven days of black out in the aftermath of Kathrina in SoFlo. Then I had caught a light rust on two of my Mauser K98ks early enough to wipe it off.

Discussion starter · #314 · (Edited)
Finally got around to checking all my test targets, Rehr is the shooter on 3.
Really tight groups, no "flyers" at all.

Everyone who has shot the HK P7 M13 has found it to be surprisingly accurate (with the Trijicon night sights).
I just upped the accuracy quotent by installing a set of LPA target sight............

301 - 315 of 315 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.