Walther Forums banner
281 - 300 of 315 Posts
When he bought it back from me it wasn't in NIB condition any longer. I carried it for over a year. It also had factory wood on it. Not Nill.

The front of the slide wears very rapidly in leather on these and can be down to metal in no time at all. Same with the front edge of the slide flats machining on the polished slide flats.

It will be difficult to find one of these without an import mark no matter how inconspicuous.

Discussion starter · #282 ·
I'm hoping to come across a single line that was brought into the US on a military "household goods" doc by service member stationed in Germany, or a recent import by TAI or Simpson LTD.

I've been watching Hermann Historica for one too.

Discussion starter · #286 ·
Very nice! I'm certainly enjoying my newly acquired P5. I'm starting to wonder if I should stop shooting it though and find a "shooter" instead.

IMHO, if a P5 shows wear from firing and/or holstering, it's a shooter.

If it appears NIB/unfired outside Ulm, it's a safe queen.

I have two sons that will eventually get my collection, so I also keep a P88Compact and H&K P7 M13 as safe queens. Me thinks these "last of an Era" all metal German guns will only appreciate now that they are over 25 yrs old.

Discussion starter · #288 ·
Some pics of my BBQ gun from this summer, got to wear it several times, with many questions asked.......

Attachments

Discussion starter · #292 · (Edited)
Well, I went "old school" for the latest addition to the classic German handgun collection.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838898906

The "Classic" term applies in two ways, the age of course, and the Luger "style" (due to production line at DWM that produced it).
Most of the proofs and ser#s are stamped INSIDE the Luger, resulting in a clean look.
Also has the rare "Type II" safety lever (raised pad, cross hatch pattern) and the "narrow" grip safety. Later 1900s had single line safety lever pads and a grip safety that was the "full width" of frame.

The ser # puts it a few hundred units after the US Cavalry/Infantry Trials Lugers.

The crisp edges, tight fits & tolerances, and TOTAL lack of ANY tool marks make these 1900 Lugers incredible examples of design, production processes, and craftsmanship.

John V Martz did the restoration, this guy used to do EVERYTHING in his California shop, and by himself. He was a perfectionist.

Discussion starter · #293 ·
Finally remembered to bring a few boxes of the Underwood 147gr +P+ 9mm (~450 ft/lbs M.E.) ammo to the range. Picked this stuff up back in January.

Ran 2 mags thru the HK P7M13, was not as harsh as I expected it to be. Could be the HK design light slide w/gas piston delay that kept it from feeling harsh. The gun got hot QUICKLY!

This ammo is big fun out of the WC 92G Brig Tac (w/18lb recoil spring and slide buffer), had a few shooters asking what ammo I was using, a wheelgun shooter told me the stuff sounds like 158gr 357 Magnum.

Discussion starter · #294 ·
This is a nice P6 (at a good price) for someone looking to complete a P5/P6/P7 collection.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840174213

If I didn't already have two P6s in my collection, I would be dropping the min bid of $499 @ 15min to end.

The John V Martz 1900 Luger will be at my FFL tomorrow, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Reactions: calla23
Discussion starter · #297 ·
Beautiful! That’s one pistol I have still never owned nor even shot. Definitely on my reading list to learn and eventually purchase. Awesome pistol Sir!
Thanks.

I was not quite up to speed on Lugers pre-purchase. I knew about J.V. Martz and his baby P38s/Lugers, and of course his 45acp Lugers.

Seeing a very early 1900, with internal/hidden ser#s and proofs, having limited production features that were not on mid/late 1900 examples, and being totally refreshed/refinished by JVM, I knew I had to jump on it.

Never even knew about the internal stamping DWM production line until I saw this example, such a clean look.

Reactions: calla23
So true.

I've been looking at the Luger history details over the last 2 weeks, unreal amount of info available.
Yep. I started to research them a few years ago and got sidetracked on Walther and other. Starting to look at Lugers again and I’m reminded of the amount time and research it takes just to have a basic understanding. I think that’s what makes it interesting and fun!
Jim

281 - 300 of 315 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.