Walther Forums banner

Finally a Classic Walther for me

33K views 314 replies 27 participants last post by  DeutschlandUberAlles 
#1 · (Edited)
I gave up on putting a P38 in my safe after months of seeing sorry condition P38s with crazy prices.

Came across a NIB Var4 P5 (complete package as shipped from Ulm) @ Cabala's Ft Worth that appears to be unfired after shipment from Ulm.

Not the best deal on a P5 (with tax put it in the 4 figure range), but like I told OldFart (he was my wingman on the deal, even brought the list of Var serial #s on his 30 mile drive), I will ALWAYS pay a premium to add an exceptional example of ANY firearm to my collection. Thanks OF.

It's so clean, I'm now looking for a well worn P5 to actually shoot.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Found my first in a pawn shop , exmilitary ,two mags ,that's it . Didn't know anything about them at the time except it was a Walther ,how could I possibly go wrong? . Went home did research Holy Cats ,what a find . Then to the range , it shot like a dream ,very happy camper . My second was in a newspaper ad that ran for two weeks ,I was the only caller . It was pristine commercial model all the goodies . Then the C went on my short list of Grail guns , and Crazyteacher lived up to his name crazy he contacted me and I bought his ( Thanks again crazy ) . Did the P-38 magazine conversion thing ( thanks Pilotsteve ) . Found holsters for both types of pistol and even matching mag holsters by the same manufacturer. To quote Pilotsteve " I don't need another 9 mm ,I have a P-5 " ,but I have a small frame ,don't want to lose them if I have to use them ,so I carry P938 . Wish I could find a vertical shoulder holster for the C though ,I do love shooting that pistole . Congratulations on your find ,you are going to love it . Ayb

#4 · (Edited)
Sub 1" 6rd minimum group @ 25 meters (center to center). Could be a 7 or 8 rd grouping after closer inspection.

It sure groups well!

Impressive for a 3.5 barrel.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I saw a post here on Walther Forums where it was stated these P5s are addictive.

I have to agree.

I'm going to look at a "shooter" P5 near Garland, TX tomorrow.

Seems the price I paid for the Cabala's P5 was not too bad, all the well used/not abused P5 I've seen F/S online are OVER the Cabala's P5 NIB price point.

I guess I got bitten by the P5 bug right when the used ones are no longer 3 figure firearms. Me thinks the Dutch government destroying over 50,000 used P5 police units, combined with the used German police unit all sold/gone, P5 deals are a thing of the past.

Am I the only one who thinks the P5Cs look unbalanced/front heavy, Walther leaving off the front/side slide cuts done on the P5 make it look "muzzle fat".

Attachments

#6 ·
Seems the price I paid for the Cabala's P5 was not too bad, all the well used/not abused P5 I've seen F/S online are OVER the P5 NIB price point.
[snip]
Am I the only one who thinks the P5Cs look unbalanced/front heavy, Walther leaving off the front/side slide cuts done on the P5 make it look "muzzle fat".
North of $1k is typical for LNIB P5s nowadays. I paid right at $1k for a late-model, NOS, commercial P5 around five years ago. However, I immediately shot it and I never looked back. IMO, life is too short to keep a fine pistol like a P5 as a safe queen. As for value, shooting it won’t degrade the value much or any unless you are outright abusive to the pistol. Too many people forget to factor in inflation when they talk about their firearms as an investment. In reality, most guns are middling to poor investments, but once again, YMMV.

I used to think the way that you do about the compact’s appearance, but once I got one my impression changed completely. Be ready to shell out double what you spent on that nice P5 for an equivalent-condition compact. There are reasons that they cost so much :cool:

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks PPS1980.

I actually find it enjoyable just field stripping and racking.

The P5 is DRIPPING with excellent German design combined with tolerances/clearances that are on par with todays "custom" firearms.

The P5 makes my new WC Beretta 92G Brig Tac seem sloppy, a firearm that cost me over 30% more!

#10 ·
Is anyone here bidding the NIB P5 being sold by CDNN Sports?

I am currently high bidder, and already having a NIB P5, I will let another Walther Forum member have it. Let me know!

If no Walther Forum bidders, I will attempt to get it.

#12 · (Edited)
Hahaha, You read my mind!

As I stated back in Jan, I intend to purchase a minimum of 6 semi-autos this year.

1) Stainless/Ported Desert Eagle Mk XIX in 50AE (New)

2) Para USA GI Expert 14.45 wideframe 1911 (NIB)

3) Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical w/action tune (New)

4) Walther Var4 P5 (NIB)

The way I see it, I was ready to spend double the cost of the P5 on a +90% P38, so two NIB P5s only counts as one purchase. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

#13 ·
What a beauty.[emoji7]

To me the P5 and HKP7 are the best looking guns ever made. I had a chance to get a P7 awhile back and didn't due to funds. Two days later it was gone. [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
What a beauty.[emoji7]

To me the P5 and HKP7 are the best looking guns ever made. I had a chance to get a P7 awhile back and didn't due to funds. Two days later it was gone. [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks Vandal320.

I was fortunate to have a range friend in the late '80s who had a P7, would bet I put over 500rds thru it.

Seeing it with the grips removed cooled my desire to possess one (too darn complex, springs/levers/links/pivots, everywhere), fast dumping 4 mags convinced me I didn't want one. Damn, that HK P7 got HOT!!!

I'll know on 8-5 if my NIB Var4 has a NIB Var3 sidekick.

#15 ·
Congrats on a great gun. But......
It is too good of a gun NOT to shoot. I bought my P5 new in the early 1990's. Have shot it ever since and I have put 1000's or rounds through it. I can't imagine having one and not shooting it. It is simply FABULOUS.

If you've ever had a great car, one that lasted for years; had a lot of fun with, or lots of memories in; and when you finally part with it you remember the great times you had--not the new car smell.

#16 · (Edited)
Congrats on a great gun. But......
It is too good of a gun NOT to shoot. I bought my P5 new in the early 1990's. Have shot it ever since and I have put 1000's or rounds through it. I can't imagine having one and not shooting it. It is simply FABULOUS.

If you've ever had a great car, one that lasted for years; had a lot of fun with, or lots of memories in; and when you finally part with it you remember the great times you had--not the new car smell.

I will have a shooter, it all comes down to finding a REALLY nice used & un-abused P5 at the $700 to $800 price point.

Watched a ex-service BMI lineout with vibratory pen import ident on frame (below muzzle) sell for over $700 on GB. I didn't bother bidding because it was dented/dinged/scraped/holster worn. Just too ugly for me, even as a shooter.

Currently high bidder on another spotless NIB P5, if I win the auction, one of them will become my shooter, the other, the safe queen.

I'm feeling much better putting the P38 money (I would be concerned of damaging each time I shot it), into TWO P5s. Same money, 2 guns. One to shoot without damage concerns, one to remain Pristine. Win/Win!

Not driving an awesome car DOES have it's perks.........
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/26/pagani-zonda-r-wall-art-miami-condo/

#17 ·
Went out to Classic Jewelry & Pawn in Rowlett this morning, wanted to view the used Var2 P5 they have listed online for $1000. Similar to the one that sold on GunBroker for just over $700 yesterday (ex-service BMI lineout with vibratory pen import ident on frame (below muzzle)).

For starters, the gun is tagged in the shop for $1200, asked if they are flexible on firearm prices and was told "somewhat". Wanted to know their lowest # on the P5, was told $1100!!! told them it's tagged around 30% over market value.

Pointed out it was a West German Police gun, removed from service, and sold for public consumption, then mentioned I just purchased a NIB Var4 P5 at Cabala's, stickered at $999, and am currently high bidder on a 2nd one, a NOS Var3.

Was told it's the "owners gun", and he won't go lower then $1100.

I had ZERO interest in this P5 over $700.

When the hell did Texas pwn shops start pricing used guns higher than new guns at Cabala's?

#18 ·
Back to the recommendation for the PP Super. Get one, either caliber, or better yet get both; you won’t regret it.

The CDNN NIB Walthers selling recently on GB are obviously very nice, but the prices they are fetching are top of the range, or beyond, IMO.

Reactions: ronin11
#19 · (Edited)
Back to the recommendation for the PP Super. Get one, either caliber, or better yet get both; you won’t regret it.

The CDNN NIB Walthers selling recently on GB are obviously very nice, but the prices they are fetching are top of the range, or beyond, IMO.

I'm willing to pay "top of range" prices for NIB P5s at this time, they're almost all gone at the retailers/distributors. Add to that the reality that used German Police units have almost ALL been sold to wholesalers, distributed to retailer, and sold to consumers.

This makes the P5 a classic "should have bought a few back when...." Walther in the next few years.

The writing is on the wall guys!
I pushed this last NIB CDNN P5 on Gun Broker into the 1k range with a big bid increase (causing some interested to cringe at the big price jump, and the thought of the larger min bid increases that come @ the 4 figure price threshold). Part of the bidding game is scaring off the competition.

Bet I get it, even with the 8.25% tax I will have to pay being a Texas resident.

Seeing what a $1300 price point gets you in a similar design (dropping lock block/locked breech/all metal) currently in production was a wake up for me.

The P5 puts my Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brig Tac to SHAME!!!

#22 ·
I have three P5s and want more...they are addicting. It is the sexiest gun made with the exception of the PPK. You picked up a bargain for NIB at Cabela’s for that price! If you have buyer’s remorse, I’ll take it off your hands!

I’ve had my eye on that one from CDNN too. I don’t need another one...I said the last two times I bought one!

Congratulations on a great buy of the best out there. I carry mine as much as I do the P99c.

#24 ·
I have three P5s and want more...they are addicting. It is the sexiest gun made with the exception of the PPK. You picked up a bargain for NIB at Cabela’s for that price! If you have buyer’s remorse, I’ll take it off your hands!

I’ve had my eye on that one from CDNN too. I don’t need another one...I said the last two times I bought one!

Congratulations on a great buy of the best out there. I carry mine as much as I do the P99c.

I can see myself having three P5s before the year is over, at a minimum.

Reactions: Thinkology
#25 ·
holster

Have 2 pp with the second one came a like new brown holster but for a pps or ppk cause it is too short for the length of the pp. Have seen they are a little costly' I would sell it for the right price, would send pics to anyone interested. Thanks Bob

#30 ·
I am new here and never even tried to post before testerday so as soon as I figure out how to add photos to a post I will try to get some photos of the P38 posted. Anyone that feels like taking the time to give me instructions or point me in the right direction here on the site to learn how everything works would be greatly appreciated.

#31 · (Edited)
BB, after photobucket screwed the pooch, we all had to find another photo hosting site. Many, including me are using imgur.com....its FREE and extremely easy to use. Just register/create an account on Imgur.com and upload your photos to Imgur.

Once you've created an account, look in the upper left corner of the screen for the 'green' box 'New Post'.....click it....a new window opens up. Click 'browse'. Another window opens up....now browse on your PC to the folder containing your pictures, select a picture and click 'open'. The picture will be uploaded from your PC to Imgur.

Next, look in the upper, very top, toward the right and you'll see your name. Hover the mouse over your name and a dropdown box drops down. Click on 'images'....you newly uploaded images will be displayed. Click on the image you want to upload and it'll open up in a new window with a list of 'links' on the right side. Scroll down the list until you find 'BBCode (message boards & forums)'....click the 'copy' button next to that link. Now go back to the Walther forum and 'paste' that link at the bottom/end of your post.....the picture will show up in your post.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...et-no-longer-viable-image-hosting-site-6.html (post 55)

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...5-5th-annual-walther-forum-greet-shoot-4.html (post 33)

#33 ·
Details, price, condition, clear pics, terms of sale/payment, location for face to face deal/item inspection. All are required to show the forum it's a legit seller.

Too many here on Walther Forums have been scammed chasing unicorns.

#35 ·
What a gorgeous amazing example of a P5! You made a great investment on a beautiful gun - and nice grouping out of that as well, she is a sweet shooter! When my next wave of purchases dies down I am going to look for some prime examples of some of the legacy Ulm firearms, sure they might not be as cheap as a CCP M2, but whats the old saying, buy once cry once...

#37 ·
Well, in 12 hrs I'll know if I have a 2nd P5, the '81 Var3 NOS P5 from CDNN (their last one).

I've been high bidder for all but 10mins of the last week, only one bid after I pushed it to over 1k.

I would expect some bidding today, the views went from 600 to 1500 in under 24hrs.

Still intend on getting the Austin NIB Var4 ('83 prod), road trip.

#39 ·
Well, in 12 hrs I'll know if I have a 2nd P5, the '81 Var3 NOS P5 from CDNN (their last one).

[snip]

I would expect some bidding today, the views went from 600 to 1500 in under 24hrs.
CDNN is getting more than top dollar for many of their listings. Why, I don’t know, although they do a good job of photography and hyping each item. NOS does deserve a premium, but the TPH, PP Super, and P5 all sold for significantly more than equivalent guns have in the last six or so months. People sometimes get caught up in bidding and end up paying way too much, IMO. Then again, not everybody worries about overpaying; everything is relative ;)

Regarding P5s, there are several nice ones on GB right now that can be had at (modern) market prices. There is, curiously, also an unusual number of P88 Compacts available.

#46 · (Edited)
For those interested, here's the P5...........

https://www.gunsamerica.com/959552230/Walther-P5-9MM.htm?isPartner=false

From this post last month........

"Went out to Classic Jewelry & Pawn in Rowlett this morning, wanted to view the used Var2 P5 they have listed online for $1000. Similar to the one that sold on GunBroker for just over $700 yesterday (ex-service BMI lineout with vibratory pen import ident on frame (below muzzle)).

For starters, the gun is tagged in the shop for $1200, asked if they are flexible on firearm prices and was told "somewhat". Wanted to know their lowest # on the P5, was told $1100!!! told them it's tagged around 30% over market value.

Pointed out it was a West German Police gun, removed from service, and sold for public consumption, then mentioned I just purchased a NIB Var4 P5 at Cabala's, stickered at $999, and am currently high bidder on a 2nd one, a NOS Var3.

Was told it's the "owners gun", and he won't go lower then $1100.

I had ZERO interest in this P5 over $700.

When the hell did Texas pwn shops start pricing used guns higher than new guns at Cabala's?"

I re-read the listing and laughed out loud at the 95% condition definition. This is a worn out, piss pounded out of, P5. 60% to 70% condition TOPS!

Bunch of crack smokers!

This link is interesting, pawn shops willing to pay up to $300 for well cared for P5Cs......

https://www.pawnguru.com/pawn/gun/22243/walther-p5-compact-germany

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.