Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still struggling with my final decision. I like the general size of the P99c, but the grip of the full size fits my hand better.

There's a subtle difference in the spacing of the grooves between the full size and the compact. That subtle difference effects my grip on the gun drastically.

I've heard of many ppl filing off the grooves of their Glocks, because they didn't match up well with their hands. Has anyone tried this with a P99 or P99c....and if so, what was the result.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear god no... please dont ruin a P99 that way...

thorn
ok....I understand to a "purest", the notion of filing the grip might be sacrilege. But let's say that doing so was to only you could ensure a comfortable fit to your hand on the gun you want. Is the idea of changing the grip worse then not getting the gun all together? I believe it's fairly common among Glock owners. Perhaps I'm way off base.

·
Registered
536 Posts
ok ok, my post was somewhat in jest.

somewhat. ;)

As you say, to not mod or just not have the gun you want - i'd have to go with mod.

But, i will ask - you said you prefer the 99C dimensions. Is this related to a CCL comfort thing?

thorn

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey, it's your gun. If the grip doesn't fit your hand, I say go ahead & modify the grip to fit your hand. I'd rather do plastic surgery to the grip than plastic surgery to my hand. Walther supplies extra grip panels, and people do other things, like grip sleeves, tape, etc., to make the gun fit. If these things don't help you, then have at it.

Just know that your "customization" will adversely affect the resale value. But were not talking a high dollar custom 1911. The P99 is a reasonably priced working gun. While not aesthetically pleasing, I would so modify my P99 if I needed to. In a carry/fighting gun, how if fits the hand is more important than how it looks in the hand.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am not real familiar with P99c's, but have you checked into the possiblility of buying an aftermarket mag grip extension. I remember seeing some, but can't remember where (sorry no help there), but a little extra room for your pinkie might make the grip feel different. If not, I don't think there is anything wrong with modding the gun to suit you, it won't be a collector for at least another 50 years.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not positive what CCL means. Perhaps it has something to do with Concealed Carry L (?). Basically, I'm a VERY particular guy, and I like what I like

I've looked into the mag grip extension.....But the main issue is that my fingers are thick, and don't fit correctly into the grooves of the compact. So I'm asking about the filing to see if anyone has experience with it. My concern is, by doing so, will I damage the integrity of the gun. I am curious if the walls of the grip are thick enough to withstand the filing. Thank s for any input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know what you are talking about.

I wanted the p99c for concealed carry but was dissapointed that it did not fit comfortably in my hand...also, in my limited experience, mag extenders or extended mags in a compacted gun distract me, I'd rather tuck a pinkie under the butt of the grip then be distracted by the 'gap' between mag butt and end of the grip.

Because of this, I went with the regular sized p99. I'm going looking for IWB holsters this weekend with a coworker and don't anticipate having trouble cc'ing the full-size, because I have a big frame and it shouldn't be too noticeable in the small of my back.:cool:

CR

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm still struggling with my final decision. I like the general size of the P99c, but the grip of the full size fits my hand better.

I've heard of many ppl filing off the grooves of their Glocks, because they didn't match up well with their hands. Has anyone tried this with a P99 or P99c....and if so, what was the result.
I kind of curious why you would buy a gun that didn't fit your hand. The P99 is a great handgun and concealable as P99c, but not having a good ergonomic fit seems a questionable purchase in the end.

An alternative might be to sell your P99c (heresy on this forum) and get one of the available alternatives w/o finger grooves:

SIG P228, P229, P239
Springfield XD (sub)compact
Kahr P9
Beretta 9000S
Kel-tec PF9

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Go to glocktalk.com and search there. There is someone that customizes glock grips in the manner you are speaking of. I have seen it done on Glocks alot, so I don't know why it couldn't be done to a Walther. I think you are right to be worried about doing it yourself and the frame integrity. That frame flexes and if you don't leave it thick enough in the right places it could cause cracking. I think they remove the current grooves and rebuild it to suit the customer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm not positive what CCL means. Perhaps it has something to do with Concealed Carry L (?). Basically, I'm a VERY particular guy, and I like what I like

I've looked into the mag grip extension.....But the main issue is that my fingers are thick, and don't fit correctly into the grooves of the compact. So I'm asking about the filing to see if anyone has experience with it. My concern is, by doing so, will I damage the integrity of the gun. I am curious if the walls of the grip are thick enough to withstand the filing. Thank s for any input.
In all honesty the compact really is marginally better for conceal carry if you holster it. Depending on dress etc. My p99c ended up in my pocket more then not for special moments I couldn't use a holster. Now I am trying the PPS and its a great deal nicer(but reliability questions don't happen with the 99c).

As stated by others you can file down the grip. It really isn't hard at all (done it to 6 sepreate glocks). Most of the grip bulge wont even bother integrity unless you grind to deeply. My favortie things to remove material ended up being high grit sand paper 600ish, and the dremel tool. The stones work best on the glock, they prevented deep removal and many accidents while still removing material.

My suggestions, take less off then you want, you can always go back and take a bit more. When taking it off take just enough off that you don't think it will be perfect. Take it to the range test if the bulge or uncomfortable feel persists shave a bit more off.

If you need specifics photos etc let me know I should have some of my glock mods around here.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i specifically chose the full size because i question the wisdom of being able to properly grip the pistol in an emergency situation plus reliability and most 9mm ammo is rated out of a 4" barrel and the extra rounds don't hurt but i have been able to work around concealing the extra size,however,i can certainly understand the desire for the compact. it conceals that much better.

i say,go for the mod but go very slow. if it were me i would take days,griping it first thing when i wake up and before i go to bed and slowly modify where it bothers me. remember it's irreversible unless you buy a new frame...good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the ideas, comments, and wisdom......If I end up going in this direction, I'll be sure to photo document it, and post them here.....Thanks again

·
Registered
333 Posts
A Walther is NOT a Glock ! Removing the finger grooves on a Glock grip is easier because you are just sanding off an 1/8 rap around lip that was added to the standard grip. The finger grooves on a Walther is more integral to the design, I think.

I would not spend that kind of money on a polymer framed gun , if it needed that much modification to be useful. I would find a weapon that fits the hand better.......... because as other have correctly pointed out, once you grind away at thoses grips -- re-sale goes down the toilet. If nothing else, it makes you wonder what else the previous owner might have done to the weapon to " make it better".

If you do make a mistake and grind through the grips & need to replace the frame .........it means an FFL and transfer fees and the whole bit because the frame is considered the weapon.

Bottom line though -- it your gun !! and that's all that really matters...........

JF.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A Walther is NOT a Glock ! Removing the finger grooves on a Glock grip is easier because you are just sanding off an 1/8 rap around lip that was added to the standard grip. The finger grooves on a Walther is more integral to the design, I think.

I would not spend that kind of money on a polymer framed gun , if it needed that much modification to be useful. I would find a weapon that fits the hand better.......... because as other have correctly pointed out, once you grind away at thoses grips -- re-sale goes down the toilet. If nothing else, it makes you wonder what else the previous owner might have done to the weapon to " make it better".

If you do make a mistake and grind through the grips & need to replace the frame .........it means an FFL and transfer fees and the whole bit because the frame is considered the weapon.

Bottom line though -- it your gun !! and that's all that really matters...........

JF.
Sniper - The grip is basicly the same design structure in the front as glocks, HKs, XDs etc. To note even more the Walther doesnt even wrap the structure around the grip thus it really doesn't do anything. If you sand the ridges to the same level as the lower part you will have a the weakest point equal across the grip. Now if your using it as a hammer that might be a issue, but not if your shooting provided you don't cut to much off. Hell you could cut off the first inch of the magazine well and never hut the gun plus use compact magazines. That task with the glock is risky due to the magazine catch spring.

As for the go find another gun comment. Look at this way if the gun is great, and the grip is close why not modify it? They have modified expensive 1911s for ages to do just that, and the Walther is a working gun, even if we do love them they are designed to take a beating.

Hell you can send off your walther to a good quality gunsmith and get a grip reduction for 200+ dollars, and it would be the same thing. I have seen it done on everything from HK's to SKYY pistols. If you plan, and know what your doing you wont hurt the pistol only the resale value.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts