Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread that I had gotten full size 1911, and had real problems field stripping it...especially putting back together- had to get a friend to come over and do it.

Does anyone have any tips, especially helpful videos, or anything else? thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Reassembly tip.
Prevent scratching (idiot scratch) the frame with the slide stop. Put some Scotch tape on the frame, be careful lining it up too.

If the safety plunger is stiff, I use a small flat eye glasses screw driver to push the plunger in rather than forcing it in my pushing down on the slidestop.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I had gotten full size 1911, and had real problems field stripping it...especially putting back together- had to get a friend to come over and do it.

Does anyone have any tips, especially helpful videos, or anything else? thanks

HiPower is the natural solution to the whole 1911 mess. Just sayin'. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Rock Island 1911 Dis & Re is no different than any other basic 1911 pistol.
There’s lots of You Tube videos on the procedure.
If the problem is lining up the takedown lever through the barrel link, get a wood chop stick or some dowel ( always wood or plastic, no metal), and whittle the tip to fit through the frame. You can secure the link in place and then easily slip the lever barrel through. Make sure the barrel is properly set in the slide before you do this.
If your problem is fitting the slide stop lever thumb ledge into the slide after it is through the link, ( can be frustrating ) make sure you line up the very small arc “door way” on the slide as the entry port for the locking lip on the thumb ledge. On my 9mm Rock Island GI Model this “doorway” on the slide is almost imperseptable and almost seems to be on the inside of the slide, but it is there.
Once you line the slide stop above the doorway just push it straight down. DO NOT SLIDE THE SLIDESTOP INTO THE ENTRY PORT. This will result in the “Idiot Scratch” seen on millions of older 1911’s.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
With GI 1911s, I always looked thru' the slide stop hole to check correct alignment.
Those were admittedly a little looser...
Good comments on avoiding the 'idiot scratch'. If the slide stop camming surfaces are correctly made, and up and in motion should seat it. Lube the retaining plunger, and make sure it moves freely.

Moon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts