Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay I am looking for some fiber optic sights. I've seen red, white and green. Is there any other place to get some besides Earl's?

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (A_J @ June 07 2006,7:44)]http://kiei.biz/walther_accessories has red for $75...
I purchased my Red Fiber Optic sights from these folks and I highly recommend them!
These are Walther brand and very bright! They are very easy to install. I used my thumb nail to depress the plunger on the rear sight. All of 15 seconds. The rear sight even continues the taper of the slide, which I like. Heat from shooting does not effect them. The front sight shoots the same as the #4 factory sight.
I think you will like them. If not, I'll buy them from you as I'm thinking about at least one more set...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hal, how well do thos fiber optic's work in the dark? I go out at night a lot, and absolutely refuse to leave my house unarmed at night....i was thinkin about trijicon or meprolight for night sights....but im still unsure what to get....i need something i can use in dark conditions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
They don't work in the dark. They are fine in twilight, but it takes some light for them to work. If night time use is your criteria, then the self illuminated tritrium would be the best suited for your needs I think...

BTW, during quals awhile back, we did a night shoot. I was amazed at how little the night sights actually helped me. I may be different, but I had always placed more importance on the night sights until I used them for their intended purpose... It would be interesting, maybe in another thread, to find out what folks that have actually used their night sights in the dark, think of them...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
not to hijack this post.... but if you looking for nightsights....
Arizonagunrunners has Mepros for $68.....
for some reason they have a set for the P99 and another one for the P99c.... nobody yet has found out the difference....
but I know I will find out sooner or later....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hal,
They look good. I hate to be a pain but is there any way to get a pic of a side profile of the gun with sights?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's not a very good photo, and it's not a side view, but maybe this will help:

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
If they were a little bit cheaper, I'd try them. But I am so satisfied w/ the stock sights that it's not worth it to me to spend that much money unless I got to try one out in person.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think you will like them Jake. They are made with iron and heavy duty. I think they might be tougher than the stock plastic sights, even with the fiber inserts... Although I agree with ShipWreck, the stock sights, outside of being plastic, are about as nice as any sights that come on a pistol...

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yea, I just wish they were not plastic. I've had to replace a rear sight 2x due to dropping it. Now, I have an extra one I ordered from S&W.

Just be aware, as I said before - they charge double the price for the Walther rear sight as they do for the S&W version, despite the fact that it is the EXACT same part. So, I ordered the S&W part #'d one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea of a metal sight but I cannot honestly say why. I mean let's face it, the majority of the pistol is plastic so why should it matter about the sights?

Well unless of course you drop it...Shipwreck, you may need to check into getting a lanyard for you pistol...

Anyway I hope these red fibers work well. I got them to use on my competition P99. My compact will have Meps and my bedroom pistol will be fitted with some Big Dot 24/7s...

·
Registered
471 Posts
The sights "stick out" from the rest of the gun. Therefore it makes them more vulnerable to damage. I just got a "new to me" used pistol and the only real damage was to the sights. For my purposes, they were ruined and I had to replace them. The front sight was the worst. Looking down the sights, the front sight appeared to be lopsided because of the damage. Even though the damage was slight, it showed up like a sore toe when using them...
It would be nice for an iron option.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay some good news. After a battle with locktite, which I eventually won, I removed my Meps and installed my new Walther Red fiber optics on my trusty P99. Took it to my Tuesday night comp shoot and was very pleased with the sight picture that it provided. It does appear that this is going to make for a fine arrangement. Also the red on black is really nice.

And I am happy to report that there were two of us using P99's. Good going Frye...

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ June 10 2006,5:30)]Well unless of course you drop it...Shipwreck, you may need to check into getting a lanyard for you pistol...
Yes, I think U are right - I need a lanyard

·
Registered
83 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ June 21 2006,6:23)]Okay some good news. After a battle with locktite, which I eventually won, I removed my Meps and installed my new Walther Red fiber optics on my trusty P99. Took it to my Tuesday night comp shoot and was very pleased with the sight picture that it provided. It does appear that this is going to make for a fine arrangement. Also the red on black is really nice.

And I am happy to report that there were two of us using P99's. Good going Frye...
too bad my shooting didn't do the P99 justice
. i had a real bad night

in my defense, i did take the P99 to the range today for some slow-fire target shooting and confirmed it indeed shoots pretty low using my normal sight picture (i like to 'dot the 'i', more or less). depending on how long my dad lets me hang on to his pistol (again
), i may put on a shorter front sight rather than adjust my normal sight picture when shooting this pistol.

i also cannot get the P99 to group as well as my normal match pistol in slow-fire, but this may change once i get more comfy and practiced shooting it and change out the front sight.

but again, i've never shot any pistol as accurately as i can my CZ75BD.

jake, you'll probably being seeing more of me with a P99 in my hands. i think the CZ may be going back for some warranty service due to progressively increasing ejection issues

oh, your new sights were very nice.

frye

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Nice to see members meet up localy......
wish somebody would be in Utah......I need a shooting buddy really bad.... or maybe a shootingbuddy with a wife that would like to babysit

since my wifes hours don't allow me to go shooting weekdays...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get her to transfer to Ft. Knox here in KY and we can hook up...I have been going to Ukraine for the past two years for a working/vacation...maybe next year I can swing through Utah instead....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts