Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy pardners,

Ever since getting the house a year ago, and after having my C&R for 4 or so years now, I am really thinking of getting my full FFL to cut out the middle man and just have them delivered right to me. I have been checking in on that FFL123 website for the longest time (I won't type out the website, I don't know if that is stepping on toes, etc.), but he seems to guarantee an FFL for the household, even if it is just for personal collection of newer firearms in the same vein as an FFL-03.

Has anyone on here used that, do they have their own FFL from them, pros and cons, all of it. I am really interested in going this route someday soon.

All insight appreciated, good or bad. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
...but he seems to guarantee an FFL for the household, even if it is just for personal collection of newer firearms in the same vein as an FFL-03.
He might seem to guarantee that but he simply cannot. He cannot assure that you are in compliance with local zoning and business laws and ordinances.

The best source for information is the ATF website and the ATF field agent that will visit the business premises after an FFL application is filed and payment submitted will usually explain everything necessary - if he decides to give the recommendation to issue the license.

If you have any questions, your best bet is to call your local ATF and discuss it with them. Many local ATF offices, like in some parts of California, are not supporting home based FFLs that are not real firearm dealers. Also keep in mind that ATF can come in any time without a warrant to inspect your premises during business hours and you better have your paperwork straight.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
In the 1980s - I knew TONS of people with home FFLs. Everyone did it to save money on new gun purchases for them and their friends. They put a stop to that. They increased the fees and the regulations. It is my understanding that you cannot do it unless you make a business out of it and actually start dealing with other people as customers. And as stated above, ya gotta make it okay with any zoning and HOA rules.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I doubt if it would be worth it unless you were in a position to make a decent ongoing profit. Other consideration is the legal jeopardy should you make even an administrative error or fail to comply with the many regulations that change frequently.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Seems to be the trend that they are not allowing it or doing it much anymore for personal collection. Odd, if you pay their fees and follow their rules, its like some Uber exclusive club that only a few select people can join. Any new insight always welcome, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
IMHO, paying their fees to join said exclusive club a la a FFL tied to one's home address is a bad, bad deal -- as it means one effectively gives up one's 4th Amendment rights to the ATF since the ATF can come in as it pleases to invoke its inspection and/or audit rights.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO, paying their fees to join said exclusive club a la a FFL tied to one's home address is a bad, bad deal -- as it means one effectively gives up one's 4th Amendment rights to the ATF since the ATF can come in as it pleases to invoke its inspection and/or audit rights.
Very good point. This alone would have me erring on the side of not getting one. I will just have the LGS do the deed for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts