Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited this recently and thought I would share. From the PPK derivative family, an FEG SMC-918, in 9x18 (clever name, huh?)

1986-2000. Made in Hungary. Aluminum-titanium alloy frame so it's only 540g unloaded vs 590g for a PPK unloaded. SMC loaded is 600g (anyone know the PPK weight loaded?)

165mm (6.5 in long), 86mm (3.4) long barrel SMC
155mm (6.1 in) (PPK), 83 mm (3.3 in) barrel in PPK

Great little carry piece that I never seem to see anywhere as opposed to its Hungarian relatives. Seems noticeably lighter than my PPK. Shoots very well.

Anyone else have any info to add? Please feel free.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you do some looking you can probably find the SMC-380 and SMC-22 as well. I have the 22. Its a fun little pistol.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
A buddy has been on a bender with such things, and he seems pleased. How is the recoil, in your estimation?
Moon

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As expected, a bit snappy. Like an LCP or similar. Now I need to decide whether it goes on sale or in the safe.

What’s the 22 like?

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
His are all in 9x18. It seems to me that they aren't worth a ton of money.
Moon

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. Not in high demand but it seems like they’re seldom for sale for some reason. I think people just hold onto them because they’re a good combination of price, weight, and firepower with a good safety making them good for ccw like a PPK. But no British agents carried them so not as much “cool” factor.

Still a fun piece!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Looks to be a variation on the FEG built PA63, as used by Hungarian police and also chambered in 9x18.

That is my PA-63. Calling it's recoil "snappy" is being charitable. Still I find it an interesting pistol. Looks as if the "hump" on the back strap is not as pronounced on the SMC-918, and that might be a good thing. That "hump" really forces a high grip, which in turn leads to a pretty nasty case of slide bite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts