Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this set of Nill grips for my PPK. Fit and finish and checkering are all outstanding. It took a little wood removal with a pocket knife on the inside, but now they're on and I feel better. They fill the hand really well, too. I was OK with the original grips, but I ain't getting any younger and decided to treat myself.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
They look great!!! I considered Hogue Coco Bolo's for mine when I had it, but they were really slick, not much checkering Didn't swell grip much up either, and slide bite would have still been an issue. Do tell, does it shoot really comfy now??

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bet you will find it comfy to shoot. I know I did when I installed my Nills. Your gun and mine look like twins now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, a bit thicker. And more in the back. Comfortable, too.

Measured it a bit: my PPK .32 with factory grips is 1.045 thickness, width front to back widest point was 1.915.

The one shown is 1.217 thick, and 1.948 back to front, widest point. So the width isn't as much as I thought.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"Man, that's an ugly gun!" Said no one ever. This is my PPK with a set of checkered Walnut grips made in Turkey that I got off eBay from a seller named zeyerd-77. Not quite as nice; only $50. The PPK/S is sporting a pair of grips from CDNNsports; I think they were like $59...Both required minor fitting but are in nice and tight now.

Unlike most wooden grips, the ones on the PPK, which are one piece, by the way, are not appreciably thicker than the stock plastic grips. The ones on the PPK/S are; they feel good in the hand though. Compare mine to the Nills, the Nills have very graceful lines to them, mine...not so much. That gracefulness right there is beautiful, in my eyes. You do get what you pay for.
PPK with Walnuts .jpg
PPK Walnuts 2.jpg

coco ppks.jpg

coco 2 ppks.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had Hogues on a PK/S years ago, uncheckered, and man were they ever fat and slick! They also interfered with the action; the transfer bar was dragging against them if they were tightened at all. I tried to relieve some of the wood on the inside right grip panel, but finally just gave up on them after I took too much off and they were too sloppy. (That was my first go at fitting a set of grips; have since learned much). I'm sure others have had good experiences with the Hogues, just not me. I definitely would get them in checkered form were I to try another set.

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
Gene, so the grips made a '/s' of your PPK? Wow.
Are they indeed one piece across the backstrap? Pretty grips.
Moon

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, they're two piece. I can't imagine making or fitting a one piece grip in wood to a PPK. I had to remove a slight bit of wood to get these to fit; a one piece would be very trying.

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
Hence my question, thanks. The early one piece plastic grips were an issue as well.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
The early one piece plastic grips were an issue as well.
Such wooden one-piece PPK grips exist and they are easier to fit than you might think. They are not bad when it comes to stability. Like the one-piece grips by Manurhin, they usually shift less than the common post-war two-piece grips. Only the Zella-Mehlis one-piece grips made of Trolit can break very quickly while fitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts