Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
having trouble getting Hornady XTP's to feed in my PPK. They don't make it into the chamber, full metal jacket rounds have no problem. This a Stainless Interarms PPK. This pistol has very few rounds fired thru it. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Please understand I am not trolling you...

Use a different type of ammo.

The PP series are notoriously picky eaters, find a round that works and stick with it. If the type you like doesn't work, no amount of tinkering is likely to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Blitz', have that cast in bronze and put a library light on it. :D

7tcu, listen. It is just the nature of the beast.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
7Ctu, the PP is picky in its appetites. Walthers are nifty pistols, but there are better options as weapons.
Moon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a PPS M2, I just like the size of the ppk for some of the meetings I attend. In 380acp I prefer the 380EZ, but the size is dictated by the types of clothes I am required to ware.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The PP series pistols were designed to use FMJ ammo. If you have to use HP I would suggest you try Winchester Sivertips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the silver tip idea, I am going to start with gold dot's and go on from there.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Yes, I read all that and did try that but I am not trying to shoot FMJ
Well, you ought to shoot some FMJ to establish a baseline of performance. If the gun works with FMJ, you'll know that the problem is the ammunition.

M

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my original post I stated I don't have a problem with FMJ, I know it is the ammo, I was just hoping someone else had this problem and had a cure with another brand of ammo. But no one has so I will start looking at other bullets.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I was just hoping someone else had this problem and had a cure with another brand of ammo. But no one has
Actually a lot of people have and the cure for most has been to use FMJ. The shape of the Hornady bullet in particular is a big part of the problem IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You did not miss anything I forgot to add the caliber it is a 380
My Interarms manual for the Walther PP/PPK/PPK/S states "95 Grain FMJ with m/v 955fps" as the recommended ammo. I don't have a PP/PPK in that caliber, so I can't give you any actual experience. However, I do have Glock 42 and a CZ-83 in .380 ACP; both of these pistols were finicky with ammo until I switched to a bullet with a more rounded profile and a bit heavier than 90 grains. The Hornady Critical Defense would jam in the 42 every time. The only 90 grain bullet I could get to feed reliably was the Speer Gold Dot 90 grain HP.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
... However, I do have Glock 42 and a CZ-83 in .380 ACP; both of these pistols were finicky with ammo until I switched to a bullet with a more rounded profile and a bit heavier than 90 grains. The Hornady Critical Defense would jam in the 42 every time. The only 90 grain bullet I could get to feed reliably was the Speer Gold Dot 90 grain HP.
tj, you must not be living right. My 42, and every other one I know, eat about anything. Mine even runs those doofus blunt points, and has been fine with XTPs and Gold Dots.
As regards the Walther, yeah, experiment with ammo. I was running my first one on reloads, and never did find a load that would run 100 without a hiccup.
That, of course, is the rub. How many rounds do you need to run before trusting it?
Moon

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't have a PPK but I do have a Sig 232 and it doesn't like hollow points either. I tried different flavors of hp's without much success until I tried Hornady's Critical Defense with the FXT bullet. These work like a charm. You might want to give them a try if you haven't found anything that works yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts