Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got out to the range today to do some testing. I had a new/unfired Colt Commander XSE, Franchi .45ACP ammo and Ballistol CLP to test out.
First the Colt...

I had already lubed this gun with Tetra oil and grease, so I thought I would just leave it that way. Okay...I was in a rush and didn't want to take the time to remove it :D I used ONLY Wilson mags to feed it. I learned long ago that cheap mags are just that...cheap. This gun has lots of "combat extras" that are not normally installed on a standard gun...hence the XSE description. I changed out the factory full length guide rod for an Ed Brown standard length heavy duty version. I have yet to see any benefit to full length guide rods, and they just make taking apart the gun a PITA. I fired 100 rounds of Franchi .45ACP 230 grain FMJ through it. I had ONE malfunction. A failure to feed. Other than that, it was flawless. I suspect the malunction was my fault (limp wrist). It happened on the third from last round of the first box of ammo, and the last round in the magazine. The second box of 50 went through without a glitch. I will say that I noticed a LOT of "nerve jiggle" in my hand. And the recoil from the pistol was quite "snappy" compared to my last Colt Commander I owned. This may be due to the factory recoil spring that is still installed. In my previous Commander I installed a Wilson Shock Buff kit that included a 20# recoil spring. I WILL be placing an order for that kit ASAP. The heavier spring reduces felt recoil and also reduces wear on the frame/slide. Accuracy was quite good. I think it would have been excellent if my hand wasn't jiggling so much. If there was a bad guy standing the same distance as my target (about 15 feet), he would have had 100 holes in him :D

Now for the ammo. YUCK is the best word I can describe for this crap. Yes, it was 100% reliable, and all the rounds went bang when they were supposed to. But the amount of funk in the barrel, feed ramp, and interior parts of the gun is unbelieveable. I suspect if I tried firing 200 rounds the malfunctions would really start to show up. The carbon on the inside had pretty much soaked up every last hint of lube. It was BONE DRY inside. Fortunately, there was still Tetra grease on the slide rails. I think that helped a lot to insure proper operation. Even worse is I have 900 rounds of this crap left to shoot!!!:eek:
Well I WON'T be using it in the near fuuture. I will keep it as Y2K emergency use only. Next time I will have either Federal or Winchester white box to use.
Or S&B if I can find some at a decent price.
Still haven't cleaned it yet. That is what I will do right now. Keeping my fingers crossed Ballistol can rise to the challenge of cleaning this funk off.
Stay tuned for feedback on the Ballistol!!

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I just got done cleaning the Colt using Ballistol. All I can say is WOW!!!!! :eek: :eek:
I took the Colt apart and there was black crud all over the internals. More than I've ever seen before with ANY ammunition...even .22!!!
I took my little can of aeresol Ballistol out and doused the inside of the barrel, then put it aside to soak. Then I shot the recoil spring and guide. POOF! All the crap came right off!!! Next was the barrel bushing and recoil spring plug. They weren't too bad. Ballistol made short work of any powder residue. Next was the inside of the slide. UGH! Black soot everywhere. Plus the Tetra gun grease was a gooey mix of grease and black crud. I gave the inside of the slide a good blasting. The bolt face was equally full of funk so I blasted it too. Under the extractor lip there was a goodly accumulation of crud and it got blasted. I let the slide sit for a while and worked on the slide stop and outside of the frame. Ballistol allowed me to wipe everything clean with no effort.
After cleaning the outside frame I went back to the slide. I noticed that the black crud looked like it had formed "wet clumps" with the Ballistol. Evidently Ballistol had lifted the carbon right up off the metal. HOWEVER, I had to RESHOOT the slide to get that stuff out. Actually, I had to reshoot ALL of the slide and then use a plastic toothbrush to get everything out. But everything came out VERY easily without using anything harsher than that plastic bristle toothbrush. Also, the Tetra grease was a real PITA to get off the slide rails. I finally used the bristles of the toothbrush in those rails and ran it along the rails and got it all out. So the slide ended up with a nice thin coat of Ballistol on it and it was SPOTLESS. :D
Back to the frame...there was so much crud in the inside of the mag well, I ended up just spraying Ballistol inside on there. Wherever I sprayed Ballistol on the frame, the black stuff just came right off. I ran a rag through the mag well to get it cleaned out. Came out clean as a whistle. The feed ramp part of the frame was REALLY funked up, but just hitting it with the spray immediately removed all the crud.
On to the barrel. It had been sitting a good 20 minutes before I got to it. I ran a patch with Ballistol through it and it came out ink black. So I doused the barrel again and this time went to work with a bore brush. I ran it in and out 10 times and then used a clean patch. More funk. So more Ballistol and back to the bore brush 10 more swipers. Patch again and it's lighter now. More Ballistol and 10 more times. This time the patch came out just wet with Ballistol. I held the barrel up to the light and could see NO streaks or any kind of leading or carbon AT ALL. I was REALLY impressed. Even Hoppe's #9 left SOME streaking. But there was NONE here. The barrel looked like it just came off the assemble line!!!

So out of all the CLP products I have tested so far, Ballistol ranks as #1.
The only fault I could find with it, and it's not really a fault, is that it evaporates VERY QUICKLY. So if you wet something down to let it soak and work on the crud, you are goinna have to re-wet it before running a patch or brush through it. But as far as cutting through carbon crud, it's just plain amazing.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...Ballistol is actually GOOD for wood and plastic. So no worry about harsh chemicals melting grips. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Dep,

Wow! You have really done alot of work posting the results of your cleaning procedures and the product testing you have undertaken.

Every one reading this will benefit from the information you have provided!!!

Not only that but, the time and effort you odviously take in caring for your frearms reflects well on you and your training!!

Good Job and THANKS!!!!!!

:)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts