Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my pistols and 200 rounds of the 9mm Federal +p 124 gr EFMJ to the range this afternoon. I also took along a couple of 600+ page Yellow Pages for targets. I fired approximately 50 rds each from my Sig P228, Glock 17, Ruger KP89D and Walther P99AS. All four guns ate the ammo without the slightest problem.

I suspended the two phone books (inside a couple of Wally World plastic bags) at 7 yds (a reasonable self-defense distance). I got about 24 rounds through the books before the bags gave out. Out of those 24 rounds, only TWO stayed in the books...the rest all penetrated and kicked up some significant dirt in the berm about 30 yds behind the targets.

I managed to recover 4 of the rounds and took some pictures of their expansion. I also took a series that shows the expansion of one round as it passed through the 675 pages of the first phone book.

All in all, I'm pretty comfortable with the penetration and the performance of these rounds. I plan on loading them up as my standard home defense load. I may order another 500 rds just so I can get into the 200 rd neighborhood per gun for complete reliability.

I posted photos on my web site, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/index.html

Click on the 9mm bullet icon to see the photos of the EFMJ results.

Hope this helps!

Jim

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I like this load also, but lately, cannot find it "reasonably" priced ($24 a box is not "reasonable"). Have you found a good source for them at a good price?

James

·
Registered
539 Posts
Excellent stuff Jim!

Did you mean to use a .357 Sig instead of a 9mm round for your icon?

How does this penetration compare to traditional HP and JHP rounds like Speer Golddot or Federal Hydrashock through the same targets? How much wood do these penetrate? My house is made of sheetrock and plywood with plaster on the outside. I'd like to think that would stop most HP/JHP .40 rounds as long as they don't hit the window but I don't have the luxury of trying that out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[b said:
Quote[/b] (extremist @ Mar. 14 2005,8:34)]I like this load also, but lately, cannot find it "reasonably" priced ($24 a box is not "reasonable").  Have you found a good source for them at a good price?

James
I bought it from Ammoman.com -- $175 for 500 rounds delivered. That works out to 0.35 per round...about 3 times a WWB FMJ from Wally World and about half again as expensive as the WWB JHP's. So it's pricey, but not unreasonable compared to other JHP/home defense loads.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nocturnal @ Mar. 14 2005,8:39)]
How does this penetration compare to traditional HP and JHP rounds like Speer Golddot or Federal Hydrashock through the same targets? How much wood do these penetrate? My house is made of sheetrock and plywood with plaster on the outside.
I may take some plywood with me next time I go to back the books...but there's a picture on the Ammoman site that shows some gel and plywood testing. It doesn't look like it did much to slow down the round! The pic is here: http://www.ammoman.com/EFMJ_files/efmjply.jpg

.357 Sig....doh!!  

Jim

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Guns&Ammo Combat Arms magazine (don't think it's a periodical) has an article about this round. They did some penetration testing by first shooting through wallboard or glass and then into gelatin. Glass actually caused the larger drop-off in gelatin penetration. Interesingly clothing on the gelatin made the penetration deeper.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Dang nice photos and site there Jim... I'm very impressed!

I've been carrying the Ranger Talon, I wonder how it would compare? I've never checked it for expansion, just accuracy and reliability...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention...the accuracy was pretty good, too. I shot 200 rounds total -- only about 30-40 into the phone books and the ice bottle. (Oh yeah -- I froze a juice bottle full of water and blew that up from about 20 yds...very nice! Little entrance hole and great big exits!) The rest of the rounds were used for standard target practice. They shot about the same as the 115 gr WWB I normally use...the groups were maybe 1/2" bigger than normal. So from an accuracy standpoint, they were pretty good, too.

Glad you like the site...it gives me something to do when I'm not shooting!

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts