Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post about some problems I had recently after trying some ammo in the P99C.
I do not reload my ammunition so I will, on occasion, buy aluminum cased ammo. Recently I tried Federal 115gr FMJ from their 200 round box that I bought at a local Walmart. I was shooting dot torture at 5 yards with the P99C and in less than a hundred rounds I had 3 failures to extract, one with a double feed stoppage. Needless to say, I was irked by the problem. Inspecting the cases it seems that a small chip was torn off each of the rims as the extractor tried to pull the shell from the chamber.
I have never had a problem shooting similar .40 cal aluminum ammo in my SIG P250.
Caveat emptor!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've fired thousands of rounds of Blazer aluminum through a 1st gen P99 with no issues. I have no experience with the Federal aluminum rounds.

If you have FTExtract issues with any ammunition though any pistol, and the issue can be traced back to firing that ammo and that ammo alone, my suggestion would be to stop the use of it completely. If the casing is stuck in the chamber so tightly that the extractor hook is ripping pieces of the rim off of the casing while cycling, you may be doing damage to the extractor, which would be bad for a range pistol, and even worse for a defensive pistol, even if you aren't using that ammunition the next time you shoot the pistol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've fired thousands of rounds of Blazer aluminum through a 1st gen P99 with no issues. I have no experience with the Federal aluminum rounds.

If you have FTExtract issues with any ammunition though any pistol, and the issue can be traced back to firing that ammo and that ammo alone, my suggestion would be to stop the use of it completely. If the casing is stuck in the chamber so tightly that the extractor hook is ripping pieces of the rim off of the casing while cycling, you may be doing damage to the extractor, which would be bad for a range pistol, and even worse for a defensive pistol, even if you aren't using that ammunition the next time you shoot the pistol.
I agree. I won't be using that ammo anymore. However I think I will be sticking to the brass cased rounds despite your experience with Blazer aluminum.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I'd also check the extractor to make sure its not damaged or dirty (I frequently see people that have pristine barrels with caked on powder residue under the extractor.)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd also check the extractor to make sure its not damaged or dirty (I frequently see people that have pristine barrels with caked on powder residue under the extractor.)
Meh, my P99 gets thoroughly cleaned on the "eventually" timescale, usually when it starts spitting black crap (lube full of carbon, presumably) on my arms while I'm shooting, which probably averages somewhere around every 1500 rounds or so. I'm 100% certain that I could just make sure it stays lubed and drive on if I was so inclined with no ill effects in terms of accuracy or function, but like I said, I get tired of black spots on my arms.

In over 7500 rounds of that cleaning schedule, I have experienced *zero* failures to extract. These guns are pretty tolerant of being shot while extremely dirty. Unless the OP's extractor is either damaged or out of spec, I would not expect the extractor itself to be the source of the problem.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Never had an issue with the Federal Aluminum in any of my 3 P99s, or any other 9mm I own.

Reactions: extremist

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used that ammo when I had a SIG P250C in 45acp. I only had one failure to eject. I would buy it again in a pinch.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
On my previous P99 I used to have, I put 3000 rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum thru it with nary a problem.

But, I won't shoot the red box Federal brass cased ammo from WalMart anymore. I had issues every 500-700 rounds thru multiple Berettas over the years. It was maddening. Finally, on the Beretta Forum, someone claimed they had the same issue. I quit using that ammo, and the problem went away.

Sounds like you had a similar issue with the Federal aluminum.

As someone else said - buy a different brand.

I won't shoot that red box Federal at WalMart, any Remington ammo, and I won't shoot Monarch either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts